VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I made a video out of a plant that was landing just before the first glimpse of light began to peek over the horizon. The video has some black lines in the sky that separate shades of black as they get farther from the every-so-slight light source. These lines dance around as the angle of my camera changes compared to the window glass. Can anyone guide me with how to get rid of them using Premiere Pro or After Effects?

I've tried all kinds of masking and blurs. I bought Neat Video Noise Remover. I'm completely at a loss. My goal is to simply have the change from light black to dark black be smoother, but I'm open for other sugestions.

PS - this is my first post so I don't believe I can upload attachments yet.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I can't help you with PP or AE (look for de-banding or de-posterization filters). But there's a filter in AviSynth that can help with that, GradFun3(thr=0.7):

[Attachment 68823 - Click to enlarge]

It should work better with the original video. Conversion to RGB PNG has further baked in the problem. And you'll need to encode with sufficient bitrate to prevent those posterization artifacts from coming back.
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Jan 2023 at 11:39.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, well I had cleaned the original up with a Premiere Plugin called NeatVideo. It worked well, however I needed to run some content-aware filters and the issue did come back. I saved my Adobe files and can just re-export them using a high Bir-rate if you recommend, although I'd like the final item to be H264 mp4.

I'll toy with what you provided for now and see what that does.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update - all is working now. I ended up playing with the export codec settings. I went with Prores422HQ and then 16 bit.

Simply learning the term "De-banding" was enough to get me over the hump. Thanks.
    Quote Quote