VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't know if this can screw up what I have. But I've been adjusting start times and such repeatedly with no seeming movement. I Remember that Subtitle Edit has somewhere a preset minimum time between subs. But where is that setting?

I don't know how it effects pauses between dialog that should remain consistent-- just certain dialog could come on more rapidly a bit.
    Visually, I see the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure what you are asking but to set start times is in the synchronization settings.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    I Remember that Subtitle Edit has somewhere a preset minimum time between subs. But where is that setting?
    You mean this? Settings --> General: "Min. gap between subtitles in ms".

I'd agree with johns0 that it's not exactly clear what your question is. Maybe you'd care to explain in a different way and/or give an example?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think this is a settting that needs to be touched,
    the defaults are fine. The OP must be talking about something else, but he described it poorly
    Quote Quote  
  5. I agree it's hard to describe some of this.

Using synchronization > Start earlier and do the rest of the lines is fine. I can see the
    calculation change after the selected line. But then I see a slight delay between speeches of dialog.

Overnight I thought it might be the amount of time the title is onscreen. But that wouldn't account for the delay or does it? This occurs at a second adjustment in the SRT. I had to do it a second time after an act interval. Again, the subs are from a different source of the same recording but edited slightly differently. It's a hack to get subtitles on a higher quality video source than they had come from.

If I went back and watched very carefully from the beginning and saw the same effect, could it be an issue for frame rate? I know that the question has been asked: Can SE change framerate and the answer was it could. But all these might be nits not able to be fixed.

Not much better at describing this time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like your subtitle isn't the right version since it doesn't line up with speech after adjusting the timing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Well the English is close enough to be usable esp for hearing impaired, the small amount I think will be acceptable.

However I may have to just abandon adjusting the two additional foreign languages of Ukrainian and Russian. These were in the
    same original group. But I don't know either language. My best guess is one version includes a credit roll and the video does not.

-- > This needs a separate question but what if the proper start time goes into negative numbers? In other words the subtitle file is longer than the video?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Means it's not the correct subtitle.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes I think you are right it's a mismatch and I'm just wheel spinning.
    But I have all or most of the original content-- just not in the same resolution. I'll look and see how those
    load into the old version.

thanks to all who answered.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Last thing on this because I noticed something. The original content video with sub was the 29.97 fps US standard.
    The larger video I wanted to add the sub to is the Euro standard for these at 25 fps. Does that mean anything to Subtitle edit for synchronizing subs?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly but not necessarily so. Standards conversion doesn't always change the video's running time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think davexnet is right. It indeed depends and you should compare playing times.
    Check if the 25 fps video runs as long as the 29.97 one. If so, no framerate sync is necessary.
    Chances are the 25 fps video runs about 4% faster, in which case you're possibly dealing with filmbased "sped-up to PAL" video. Here, a 23.976 to 25 fps sync should do a proper job (Synchronization --> Change frame rate).

Next to framerate syncing, SE always offers the option to do a visual sync. Works like a charm.
    Quote Quote  
  13. @Ennio

I will give that a try.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Haven't done this last thing yet, but how does the fps change engage?

Load SE > General Settings > 23.976 to 25 , then load
    the SRT, MKV, and Audio? Or does it matter?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Open the srt with subtitle edit,go to synchronization/change frame rate 23.976 to 25 hit ok and save as.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I did give it a try and it is something I did not know from SE. But I was not getting anything better.

Thanks again to those who answered. I have something usable, just not as close to the spoken lines as I thought was possible.
    This is across two separate versions etc. I'm going to let it go at that. I have done line by line edits and that
    might work but I have other subs projects.
    Last edited by loninappleton; 24th Jan 2023 at 22:32.
    Quote Quote