VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A DVD I have got extracted into a video_ts folder. The problem is, it split up the VOB files into multiple 0.99GB files.
    I don't want them split up. How can I join them together properly so they are a single VOB file with everything in tact?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The DVD spec requires they be split up to ~1GB files.

If you are ripping with DVDdecrypter (old school), it allows you to combine the VOBs, as well as demux to elementary streams if desired. You WANT to do it while you have access to the original media/files, as the IFO has info (not a pun, that is why it's called that) that allows smarter apps to stitch back together seamlessly (whether to rip/extract, edit/process, or play). This includes audio, which if done later would otherwise develop a nasty pop or tick at the edit point.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVIDemux will open a group of VOBs; just open the first VOB and the rest will be appended. The output them as a single MPEG.

Originally Posted by Scott
    If you are ripping with DVDdecrypter (old school), it allows you to combine the VOBs
    You've mentioned this before. I can't for the life of me work out how. Could you explain the steps. There is no obvious setting to facilitate that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    AVIDemux will open a group of VOBs; just open the first VOB and the rest will be appended. The output them as a single MPEG.

Originally Posted by Scott
    If you are ripping with DVDdecrypter (old school), it allows you to combine the VOBs
    You've mentioned this before. I can't for the life of me work out how. Could you explain the steps. There is no obvious setting to facilitate that.
    Use DVDDecrypter in IFO mode by clicking Mode and selecting IFO. Then in the settings go to IFO tab and change the file splitting option to none.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I ended up just using MKVMerge, and appending them together with that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Killer
    Use DVDDecrypter in IFO mode by clicking Mode and selecting IFO. Then in the settings go to IFO tab and change the file splitting option to none.
    Thanks. Can I then just change the extension from VOB to MPG?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    No. vob and mpg are different containers.
    Leave is as vob or remux it to mpg with clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    A DVD I have got extracted into a video_ts folder. The problem is, it split up the VOB files into multiple 0.99GB files.
    I don't want them split up. How can I join them together properly so they are a single VOB file with everything in tact?
    You can also try clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Click select source, point to VOB 1 of a Title Set (g.e. VTS_01_1.VOB for Titleset 1), answer Yes to the questions and the entire movie will be ripped and imported, for further processing, such as re-encoding or simply remuxing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well, the OP asked how to stitch the VOBs to one single VOB rather than converting them to some other format or other container .......
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc
    Well, the OP asked how to stitch the VOBs to one single VOB rather than converting them to some other format or other container
    I apologise profusely for the slight thread drift.

Is there any advantage in leaving it as a VOB (I think it'd be better as the more conventional MPG, since that is what it essentially is).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc
    Well, the OP asked how to stitch the VOBs to one single VOB rather than converting them to some other format or other container
    I apologise profusely for the slight thread drift.

Is there any advantage in leaving it as a VOB (I think it'd be better as the more conventional MPG, since that is what it essentially is).
    No idea, it's perhaps just that people ask for a taxi when they actually need a pair of shoes
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Killer
    I wouldn't just change the file extension, you might risk breaking it. If you want it to be MPG or MPEG, then maybe try taking the video and audio out of the VOB container first. I personally would just leave it alone as VOB.
    Quote Quote