VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone, I’d REALLY like to use DVrescue to capture my tapes as it really seems like the most robust and modern piece of windows based software for the task. WinDV just isn’t cutting it, and Scenalyzer is problematic at best.

The problem for me, at least at this particular point in my trials and tribulations of dealing with MiniDV tapes, is that it’s not recognizing my FireWire connection to the camera. Whereas other programs, like the aforementioned WinDV and Scenalyzer are.

I am running a relatively new Windows 11 PC (a DIY build put together during the pandemic, around the AMD 5950X)

Since I have an AMD system, thunderbolt is not usable or featured on my motherboard (Asus crosshair VIII formula) so I have a Sony HDR-HC7 hooked up to the FireWire port on a FireWire PCI-E card. And of course I’ve already went through the step of installing the legacy driver.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't look like capturing with windows is supported yet: https://github.com/mipops/dvrescue/issues/445
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by zing269 View Post
    It doesn't look like capturing with windows is supported yet: https://github.com/mipops/dvrescue/issues/445
    Ahhhh that would explain it, thanks! Their own help/documentation page seemed to indicate that this should currently be possible, for some reason. I might just hold off on transferring anything for the time being then. Current solutions just don’t make this a feasible project for me to tackle but hopefully they get transfer working on windows soon. I’d also be willing to try the Linux build but that will have to be an experiment for another day.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Does DVrescue currently have the ability to capture via CLI? And preferably with an on-screen preview? Long shot but figured I’d ask
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Probably not, there are other open issues around supporting capture on windows and linux. For now it looks like you can only capture with a Mac although you should be able to use the other functionality on windows once you have a capture.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Bummer, Linux and Mac are all I really have access to at the moment. Maybe I’ll suck it up and buy a Mac just for this. It seems like it may have the best software for detecting and repairing errors upon transfer.
    Quote Quote