VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Today I have ''lost'' some important files. I'll try and explain. Using Chrome with Windows 10

Ages ago I started using Folderlocker, (B) not an app, but a simple and formely capable locker I set up through the cmd option, as shown in this link - https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/password-protect-folder-windows-10

I had one regular yellow folder on my external drive, inside it was that locker thing used to lock/unlock, plus another yellow folder which contained some files I hid securely, or revealed again as needed.

I moved the 'main' yellow folder from one location on my hard drive to another on the same drive.

But, from inside it, I moved the locker file icon outside of that folder to another location- leaving the files folder itself.

The files folder inside that 'main' folder then vanished. I think it's actually hidden or encrypted, but trying anything for the files by name etc reveals nothing. reveals nothing.

I then downloaded an app called ''Everything'' from the web (https://www.voidtools.com/) and it finally locates the file names in my recycle bin, not as they would usually appear (are they encrypted now?), with a path of E: $Recycle Bin etc? Right clicking 'restore' even inside the app's pop up box does nothing.

Viewing the recycle bin normally does NOT show them at all.

I have tried the recycle folder and even tried searching by name on my external HD and C: laptop drive, but nothing.

I’ve tried system restore back to a week before but this didn't resolve it.

Hope that's as clear as it can be.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FireShot Capture 094 - Recovering 'Missing' Folder After Using Folderlocker_ - Computer & Te_ - .jpg
Views:	19
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	68709  

Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by aelfheah View Post
    I moved the 'main' yellow folder from one location on my hard drive to another on the same drive.
    Move it back to the original location
    Originally Posted by aelfheah View Post
    But, from inside it, I moved the locker file icon outside of that folder to another location- leaving the files folder itself.
    Move it back into the folder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The files vanished
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by aelfheah View Post
    The files vanished
    The main yellow folder with FolderLocker.bat inside?
    Or the Locker Folder?
    The Locker Folder isn't vanished, is only hidden.
    You can search for it with AgentRansack
    https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/download/?src=upd
    Download the portable version for your system (x86 or x64).

[Attachment 68710 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by ProWo; 16th Jan 2023 at 15:10. Reason: added image
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The combined 'main' folder (with files and locker inside), when I had moved it from/to the external drive. So far so good.

Then I foolishly removed the locker element to the ED to experiment, and the remaining 'main' folder (now just with the files) suddenly vanished?

I didn't even touch it. Whether it became instantly hidden or encrypted, I don't know.

I'm going to try ransack and recuva and will see if anything shows...
    Last edited by aelfheah; 17th Jan 2023 at 07:05.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Use Agentransack (DL link above).
    It finds hidden files/folders too.
    Search for Folderlocker.bat
    The folder where it's in is the main folder.
    Then search for Locker.
    This is the hidden folder with your files.
    Move/copy it into the main folder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, the search for Folderlocker.bat on my C: laptop drive found nothing.

The search for Locker on the same found everything but.

However, a search for Folderlocker.bat on the E: external drive (where all of this took place originally) found it, of sorts.

I've tried copying/moving the found files, but they don't appear? I then made files in the Recycle bin visible, to see if that might help.

The path in the recycle bin is E:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-1866800480-122707905-1357889691-1001\$RBZ4WST\Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\- XXXX\- XXXXXXXXX

Whatever that means
    Quote Quote  
  8. Forget the recycle bin.
    If you know the exact location of the hidden folder, you can make it visible with the attrib command.
    You must first open a command window.
    Search for cmd, execute it as administrator.
    Then go to the folder location with the cd command (g.e. cd temp\abc\ddd).
    If you are in the folder that contains your folder write
    attrib foldername -h -s
    and press enter.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate your help.

I'm afraid I don't know where the original locations are, as after the files ''vanished'' I lost hope and deleted the relevant folders. Doh
    Quote Quote