VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings everyone,

I come to you with 2 problems I have with transferring MiniDV tapes taken with the "Canon HV20" camcorder (NSTC) to my PC (via firewire and HDVSplit).

A little overview about the Canon HV20:
    When I switch to the camcorder's playback mode, in the "playback settings" there is an option called "AV->DV", which I switched off (should I leave it on?).
    When I switch to the camcorder's record mode, in the "recording settings" I can choose between 4 different recording modes:
    HDV, HDV (PF24), DV, DV (Wide)

PROBLEM 1: "Incorrect Tape Specification - Playback is Restricted"

So, I am about to transfer my very last tapes to my PC and I am left (or stuck) with 10 tapes that my Canon HV20 cannot seem to be able to read due to some format or standard incompatibility. From what I understand: Either these tapes were somehow recorded:
    -in HDV (PAL)
    -in DV (PAL)
    -in DV/HDV (NTSC) but with another camcorder brand (JVC comes to mind)

But I am sure that it was this very same camcorder that I recorded the tapes with. I also own a Panasonic camcorder (DV, PAL) that I recorded tapes with back in the days (but none of these 10 tapes can be played with it either "Cassette not able to play (Format)".

a little history:
    The original HV20 camcorder I (am sure I) recorded the tapes with broke on one of my travels - the lense wouldn't open anymore or let me go into playback mode.
    So I happen to have stumbled upon an ebay combo of 2 x HV20 camcorders (one with a defective display, etc.). I transferred around 80 tapes with these cams - no incorrect tape specification errors whatsoever. Except for those 10 tapes - and one special one:

One of the 10 tapes showed the "incorrect tape specification"-error message right at the start of the tape, then (after 5 seconds) it switched to actual footage being played.
    So, my assumption is that this one tape seems to have previously recorded footage at the start that's either in PAL, which later had been taped over in HDV with my HV20. But when I played the tape on my Panasonic (PAL) camcorder I get the format error message (see above).

PROBLEM 2: Glitches (example footage: https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/670251904)

Does somebody experience similar glitches when transferring tapes?
    It seems the amount of glitches can be mitigated or sometimes completely get rid of by restarting the pc system (Windows 11).
    But there would always be some glitches to be found within the footage when I rechecked. I don't feel like re-transferring all those "faulty" ones yet again....or maybe I would if I knew what is the reason behind it.
    Sometimes (the PC running for several days, being in hibernation mode whenever I stopped for the day) there would only be glitching jibberish on screen, like full screen grey glitches, without much of the actual footage visible anymore. When I restart my PC (as stated above) this problem seems completely mitigated (at first sight). There still may be some occasional glitches transferred.

When I watch the tape being played back on the camera screen the footage is not experiencing any glitch interferences of any sort, but plays totally fine. So, something happens in the transferring process. Having the luck of having 2 camcorder of the same model, I also tried my second HV20 and glitches still remain a probability. Just sometimes at different points in time, sometimes at the very same (see linked example footage above).

As it is now I have to worry about having transferred footage that may be corrupted in some glitchy way and not a perfect version of the tapes I wanted to have for my archive.

I hope somebody has some ideas how to tackles one (or both) of these problems I have.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    HDVsplit is for HDV tapes, Use Sclive for miniDV tapes.
    Quote Quote