VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm looking for a video editor (below USD70 if possible) that can help me manage my home videos shot in AVCHD format. I need to do lossless trimming and merge. And also losslessly burn into AVCHD DVD, with menus, that can be used on a DVD/BD player.

Ability to rotate videos is also helpful. I sometimes stupidly take videos in portrait mode.

Ability to convert videos from mp4 to AVCHD (.m2ts) is helpful. Sometimes I take videos with my mobile phone when my camera is not with me.

I have bought Pinnacle Studio 26, but it does not do lossless edits of AVCHD or lossless burning of AVCHD discs.

TMPGenc Smart Renderer 6 can do lossless trimming/merge, but doesn't do rotation (I think). And may not be able to burn AVCHD DVD discs with menus (or can anyone confirm this function?)

Tried to scan through the various editors in the market, hard to ascertain their ability to do the above.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Petecjs; 14th Jan 2023 at 01:10.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm assuming you're on Windows? If so, it might be worth installing Kdenlive on your machine, and see if/how that works -- I know Kdenlive on Linux supports AVCHD editing, but don't know about the DVD output options. In Linux DVD creation is a separate package (not from Kdenlive) and I have no idea how good/stable Kdenlive is on Windows. But it's free and it's great on a Linux machine, I would hope the Windows version would be comparable. Could be worth a shot!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Ozymango. Yes, I'm on Windows 10. I looked up Kdenlive. Nothing is mentioned about authoring AVCHD discs with menus. And I'm not sure whether it does lossless trims and merges. Seem like it's functionality is similar to Shotcut which I already. However, much appreciate your response.

Any other suggestions from anyone? I have repeatedly scoured the web for a software that fits my needs, but don't seem to be able to find one. For the last few years, I have been using standalone free open-source tools to achieve my aims. For AVCHD burning, multiAVCHD has been excellent, but is quite tedious to use, and somehow has developed bugs on my latest Windows 10 computers.
    Quote Quote