VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've encountered a few recordings with a very static picture due to the use of an indoor aerial, and would like to clean things up a bit. I've just attached a short random example.

I've tried SMDegrain, and whilst it helps a little, there's still too much noise.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Code:
    AVISource("Aerial Noise.avi")
    converttoYV12()
    knlmeansCL(d=10,s=8,h=10.0)
    smdegrain(tr=6,thsad=1000)
    knlmeansCL(d=10,s=8,h=10.0)
    [Attachment 68585 - Click to enlarge]

But I would rather ditch this capture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Getting a 'There is no function named 'knlmeansCL' error, despite having put the 64-bit plugin in the correct folder.

Impressive results. I will be ditching this capture, it's just a random snippet of no value.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try the 32-bit plugin.
    Then, process it as interlaced or deinterlace it if the capture is interlaced . It didn't really matter for this poor source though.
    See here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/407943-Anyway-to-boost-contrast-without-clipping#post2675676
    Last edited by Sharc; 8th Jan 2023 at 03:17.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Neat was made for this kind of noise
    [Attachment 68587 - Click to enlarge]
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Try the 32-bit plugin.
    Then, process it as interlaced or deinterlace it if the capture is interlaced . It didn't really matter for this poor source though.
    See here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/407943-Anyway-to-boost-contrast-without-clipping#post2675676
    Thanks, i got the 64-bit plugin to work eventually. Yes i am deinterlacing all my clips anyway, so always apply after deinterlace for best results.

Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Neat was made for this kind of noise
    [Attachment 68587 - Click to enlarge]
    Wow that's even better. I wish i knew how to use Neat properly. So from what i gather, Neat works by fetching information from the previous and following 5 frames to reconstruct a better image? And can Neat do so whilst retaining detail and not let it be smeary? And does it work better on longer sources?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Neat looks nice. (Using HQ3D (or BM3D) with high strength + SMDegrain + DeSpot/Lossless + some sharpening returns similar results here)
    But I agree that proper recapturing would be the preferred approach.
    Last edited by Selur; 8th Jan 2023 at 06:25.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wish i knew how to use Neat properly.
    I find the trick is to use an area of constant colour. In this case, I used the blue sky at frame 18 after deinterlacing with VDub's deinterlacer.

You can also play around with the sliders to set the desired amount of NR; back it off if it's too plasticy.
    Quote Quote