VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am almost sure this is a VCR problem.... This is only happening with recorded tapes.

Picture and sound are completely fine. I get one pop every 2 to 3 minutes.

Any idea how to fix it? This is a thrift store VCR that seems to be stuck on EP mode. I don't think I can access the setting without a remote.

Sony model SLV-N71
    Last edited by Jer3784; 6th Jan 2023 at 23:24.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Inability to change speed should affect recording only,
    playback switches automatically.
    What is "popping"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can Google for a replacement remote, a replacement remote will also have the special functions of this type of VCR.
    Or find another vcr at the thrift store, which would be an easier way out, repairing electrical faults is almost imposible, mechanical like belts and cleaning can be done in an much easier way.
    what do you mean with: "this is only happening with recorded tapes" ? which "other" tapes do you watch also ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Household interference? Router? TV? Power grid? I just nailed down an audio interference in captures to my router, but it was a pain in the arse.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    What is "popping"
    Only way to describe it is kind of like when you play an album, but a decent amount quieter and shorter. Unlike most popping, it doesn't seem to effect the sound quality afterwards.

Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    "this is only happening with recorded tapes" ? which "other" tapes do you watch also ?
    Meaning tapes where content was recorded from TV or another tape. Retail VHS doesn't seem to get it, cleaning tapes don't seem to get it, and I have one old tape of home videos that didn't get it.

I just assumed this was a tape speed issue. I read that the speed tapes are recorded at can differ with how they are played back on other VCRs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If you had posted an audio sample of the problem you would have saved two days of guessing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. https://files.videohelp.com/u/303592/Sample1_Trim.mp4

The pop happens at 5 to 6 seconds on the 9 second clip.

I now don't think this is a tape issue. It seems to happen even if I let the VCR sit on blue screen without a tape in it.

I am using a converter with OBS Studio. If I use my Mic/AUX it seems I am not getting the pop. If I use the audio input capture the pop happens.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That's why we always say OBS is not suitable for analog video sources. I would say it's a HiFi audio head switch noise but your audio sound like it's linear mono, so that rules out the head switch noise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    More info needed indeed.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 8th Jan 2023 at 10:58.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think there's some kind of grounding problem in your capture setup. The audio has a large DC offset in the audio:

[Attachment 68591 - Click to enlarge]

It should be centered around 0.0, not 0.5:

[Attachment 68592 - Click to enlarge]

The pop (about 2/3 the way through the sample here) may be something in the system reacting to that offset.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Jan 2023 at 12:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So what solution should be found ? the source, (for future recordings) or to remove the "pop" in post, because the "pops" seem to be "baked" into the recording, since other tapes with content don't have this "pop".
    To correct this by hand like Audacity, is a lot of work, special software is needed which could have a high pricetag. or just live with this "pop".
    Quote Quote  
  12. I would start by plugging all the equipment into the same earth grounded power strip. If in anything else is connected (cable TV box, satellite box, etc.) disconnect it. Check the audio cables.

If none of that helps maybe it's the VCR. Or the tape is recorded that way.
    Quote Quote  
  13. OP just stated it happens on the VCR blue screen so it's unlikely for the tapes to be the culprit.

To find the culprit you want to check the parts of the setup in isolation. Try if it happens with something else than the VCR connected to the audio input to determine whether it's the vcr or capture dongle. Try with different software to see if that makes any difference, maybe there is a capture/recording format mismatch somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I think there's some kind of grounding problem in your capture setup. The audio has a large DC offset in the audio:

[Attachment 68591 - Click to enlarge]

It should be centered around 0.0, not 0.5:

[Attachment 68592 - Click to enlarge]

The pop (about 2/3 the way through the sample here) may be something in the system reacting to that offset.
    thought grounding problem was only AC ?
    Quote Quote