VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I already had problems damaging capture cards, in another group, I asked the question about the right way to connect the equipment, many mixed responses.

Here, I ask!
    How to do it the right way without running the risk of damaging VCRs and capture cards?

What I always do is first turn on the VCR or VCRS already connected to the computer PCI card, (computer totally off and unplugged) and after then turning on the computer.

I never turn the VCR on or off or plug and unplug cables while the computer is still on. I used to do this before and I guess i lost a few capture cards because of it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This is the correct way to connect:

1. Connect equipment while all equipment is turned off
    2. Turn on the source(s)
    3. Turn on the intermediate device(s)
    4. Turn on the destination(s)

For disconnecting/turning off, do the above in REVERSE order.

This is recommended for audio, video, computers, etc.
    And for computers, its almost ALWAYS best to do a proper shutdown vs. hard power kill.

<edit> Note: For certain AV systems with control systems, it is best to turn on the controller last/off first, even though it could be considered more of a intermediate device.</edit>

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 6th Jan 2023 at 16:10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    This is the correct way to connect:

1. Connect equipment while all equipment is turned off
    2. Turn on the source(s)
    3. Turn on the intermediate device(s)
    4. Turn on the destination(s)

For disconnecting/turning off, do the above in REVERSE order.

This is recommended for audio, video, computers, etc.
    And for computers, its almost ALWAYS best to do a proper shutdown vs. hard power kill.

<edit> Note: For certain AV systems with control systems, it is best to turn on the controller last/off first, even though it could be considered more of a intermediate device.</edit>

Scott
    Guess I am doing it right thought
    Quote Quote  
  4. Electronics can also get damaged by ESD (ElectroStaticDischarge). The manuals are usually full of warnings. Always discharge yourself before handling cards and touching pins.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    disconnect all cables from the computer, mains cable also, put an antistatic wrist band on your wrist, connect the clamp from the wrist band to the chasis of the PC and place the card into the pc.
    With no mains connected to the equipment, reconnect all cables, and last: reconnect the mains, starting with the computer. that's it.
    Touching pins, or any contacts, you should never do, also because of oxide that will form, and will result in a bad connection.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 14th Jan 2023 at 09:07.
    Quote Quote