VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've had this happen a few times. I think maybe because i left the preview on whilst capturing?

Is there anyway to get rid of this in post, like for videos i no longer have?

Here's an example.

[Attachment 68534 - Click to enlarge]

I've also attached a video to show how it looks in motion.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Master Tape; 4th Jan 2023 at 00:48.
    Quote Quote  
  2. No idea where this comes from. Maybe a sync problem during capture.
    Postprocessing? If it's only for few frames one could heavily blur the artifact section vertically and leave the rest alone.

Code:
    AVISource("Combing Artifact.avi")
    v=last
    a=v.trim(0,83)
    b=v.trim(84,101).bilinearresize(704,40).bilinearresize(704,576).GaussianBlur(20) #adjust to taste
    c=v.trim(102,0)
    vid=a+b+c
    return vid
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Sharc; 4th Jan 2023 at 03:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Having video preview on should not create such an artifact.

But something is not what one should expect from a raw capture. Have you done some filtering/output adjustment during the capture process ? 704*576 is not typical (it should be 720*576) and bitrate is much higher than my own huffy's. Although the video is flagged as interlaced, any chance that it was filtered as progressive ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You need to fix your capture process, not fix the video in post.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It looks like a TBC processing artifact, similar to the example 1 here:
    https://www.avartifactatlas.com/artifacts/tbc_processing_artifact.html

The problem would therefore be with the VCR or other TBC device rather than VirtualDub.
    They give also some hints how to fix/prevent it.

[Attachment 68550 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Sharc; 4th Jan 2023 at 11:14.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    It looks like a TBC processing artifact, similar to the example 1 here:
    https://www.avartifactatlas.com/artifacts/tbc_processing_artifact.html

The problem would therefore be with the VCR or other TBC device rather than VirtualDub.
    They give also some hints how to fix/prevent it.

[Attachment 68550 - Click to enlarge]
    Thanks, you may well be right. I thought the heads were going on my VCR as there was a weird flicker at the top of the screen, but turning off the TBC removed it. I'll use my Panasonic ES10 in the meantime.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Having video preview on should not create such an artifact.

But something is not what one should expect from a raw capture. Have you done some filtering/output adjustment during the capture process ? 704*576 is not typical (it should be 720*576) and bitrate is much higher than my own huffy's. Although the video is flagged as interlaced, any chance that it was filtered as progressive ?
    Oh that's a relief then.

Not to my knowledge. All i've done is adjusted the levels in the proc-amp. And i capture in 704x576 because capturing in 720x576 cuts a small part of the image off on one side, whereas 704x576 has it more centre and gets everything.

And not sure, where can i find the filter settings between interlaced and progressive? I have it on Preview mode, with Preview acceleration turned Off, if you mean there?

And odd my bitrate seems higher than average.
    Last edited by Master Tape; 4th Jan 2023 at 19:33.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    And not sure, where can i find the filter settings between interlaced and progressive? I have it on Preview mode, with Preview acceleration turned Off, if you mean there?
    It is well possible that the tape has progressive video (both fields from the same instant in time). Unusual for home videos, but not so unusual for consumer tape with original movie material. So I don't see anything wrong with your capture in this respect.

For .avi container one can't rely on what MediaInfo etc. report about progressive or interlaced because the .avi normally doesn't support the flag. You should make the analysis (progressive, TFF, BFF) of the captured video yourself and process the video downstream accordingly.
    Last edited by Sharc; 5th Jan 2023 at 03:05.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    I think maybe because i left the preview on whilst capturing?
    Video preview is usually not a problem. But having audio preview on often is a problem. Be sure to have it off while capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    This is still annoying me, as i keep seeing it now and again on a capture, then i have to go back, capture that section of the tape then splice it in the original avi file using Avidemux.

Is this a common problem with the TBC-1000? Or could this be caused by an electrical issue? As i do have it powered using a Power Switching Adapter since it didn't come with a UK plug as i bought it from Lord Smurf.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The problem has nothing to do with the plug adater, I think. It's the combination of tape condition + VCR + TBC1000 I would say. Sometimes you may get better result without an extra TBC, or just use the TBC function of the VCR - if it offers this functionality at all.
    Last edited by Sharc; 21st Mar 2023 at 11:17.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I thought the heads were going on my VCR as there was a weird flicker at the top of the screen, but turning off the TBC removed it. I'll use my Panasonic ES10 in the meantime.
    Not clear to me what you are looking for. If removing the TBC1000 the problem disappears, the fault is in the TBC1000, right? If your tapes are in good conditions and your VCR has a lineTBC you can try to remove it from your workflow. Otherwise just use the ES-10 instead.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    The problem has nothing to do with the plug adater, I think. It's the combination of tape condition + VCR + TBC1000 I would say. Sometimes you may get better result without an extra TBC, or just use the TBC function of the VCR - if it offers this functionality at all.
    Ah so i can rule that out then. I have been having problems with that VCR in which text on screen kind of tears and even the ES10 didn't help much, and the line flicker problem, i think i might have damaged the heads by cleaning them too hard.. I might get a new VCR and see if the problem persists, and or repair another VCR i bought which doesn't fully function for whatever reason.

Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    I thought the heads were going on my VCR as there was a weird flicker at the top of the screen, but turning off the TBC removed it. I'll use my Panasonic ES10 in the meantime.
    Not clear to me what you are looking for. If removing the TBC1000 the problem disappears, the fault is in the TBC1000, right? If your tapes are in good conditions and your VCR has a lineTBC you can try to remove it from your workflow. Otherwise just use the ES-10 instead.
    Well i'd rather have the TBC-1000 in line as it helps stabilise problematic tape signals, but will try with a different VCR as i said and play it by ear.
    Quote Quote