VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    How should XAVC S files be treated correctly in Vegas?

Code:
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.403
    Color Range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : xvYCC
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709
    Finish : 3
    Codec configuration box: avcC
    In Videoscope, the files (when set to Full range) show a range of 16-255. I use the Brightness&Contrast filter and set the Contrast to 0.060 -- so the image fills the 0-255 range. Of course, I save it as full range.

Is this correct and optimal?

P.S. Original files, displayed as limited-range in MPC-HC, are heavily overexposed.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The following assumes that the video file is true 16-255. As below, set to “Legacy” then see what the displayed range really is. If it’s not 16-255 ignore all of below.

I would set "Pixel format" in Project Properties to "Legacy" then use a "Levels" FX (where appropriate, at event/Media/Track whatever) to change the 16-255 to what you want, say 16-235. Then "temporarily" use a levels FX (say set to one of the drop-downs in this "Levels" to "Studio RGB to Computer RGB") above video preview location, i.e. video output, to view the project while you are editing as it will appear in a player. Remember to remove the "temporary" Levels FX before final render.

This is more the older way, I'm sure there are other various routes to it also.

Useful link … http://www.glennchan.info/articles/vegas/colorspaces/colorspaces.html
    Last edited by JN-; 2nd Jan 2023 at 17:54.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Converting and encoding all your videos as full range is just asking for trouble. Pretty much all video is limited range. DVD, BD, all streaming services, etc. Many players (especially outside of a computer) assume limited range and you'll get crushed blacks and blown out whites.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was under impression that video has 16-255 values, fix below, not sure why would you make it full range
    quick way to sort it, to have more detail in blown up whites, this is what our camcorders do,
    there is a regular Curves FX effect or tools/Video/Color grading with curves as well
    before:
    [Attachment 68495 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 68496 - Click to enlarge]

after:
    [Attachment 68497 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by _Al_; 2nd Jan 2023 at 18:51.
    Quote Quote