VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently bought the GREX video stabilizer by XDIMAX to archive some copyrighted VHS tapes that I own. Went with it because it was the only way I could find that preserved the subtitles. During some of the recordings, I noticed that the video would have random bursts in brightness throughout. (I assume this is due to the macrovision) I'm using a Sony SLV-D380P VHS/DVD Combo (output) and a Sanyo FWZV475F VCR/DVD Recorder combo. (Input) Is there some setting on either player that I need to set, or is it something with the Grex? If it is something with the Grex, could I run the recorded footage through a software like VirtualDub or AviSynth to fix it?

I've included a sample of the recording to show what I mean by 'bursts of brightness.' [Warning: It might not be suitable for people with epilepsy]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MVX2sNOfNFbs02uzUmqN-edkoo3N1v2D/view?usp=sharing
    Quote Quote  
  2. probably has something to do with the grex which don't seem to get rid of macrovision entirely but i guess you're using composite, might be better to use s-video or YPBPR.

Also there are 3 modes in the Grex firmware you want to switch back and forth between them to ensure one work better perhaps. (according to the macrovision level present on the tape)

1.To switch you have to make a loop with a cable (composite ONLY) between the in/out
    2. Power On
    3. The led flashes fast for about 6-7 seconds (it resets)
    4.the led will flash 1,2, or 3 times fast (= mode 1,2,3) + 1 long flash
    5. once you have found out the mode you want, power off immediately the grex (so right after the long flash)

Good luck
    Last edited by themaster1; 1st Jan 2023 at 07:31.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. It doesn't appear to be switching modes. It blinks three times in the span of <2 seconds (red, yellow, red), then the video comes on the screen saying "GREX74 - 1", and it keeps flashing red until I start playing the tape. What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  4. hmm strange as far i know it should work although i confess i haven't used it that much, last time i tried that was the right procedure:
    As far as mode codes:
    GREX 74-1 = mode 1) It means Version 7.4 mode 001
    GREX 74-2 = mode 2
    GREX 74-3 = mode 3

like i said disconnect everything first, then make the loop, then power up
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Grex is a POS, and this is why. It doesn't work at all on analog, fails entirely, wild AGC issues.

What the Grex did well was allow Macrovision encoded digital cable to be recorded with a DVD recorder, or copy-once digital signals to be ignored from re-recording analog (DVD>DVD).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. It seems like all of these VHS capturing devices end up being bad despite the awesome reviews. Well, I still have cable, so at least I can use this for something. Also, what is AGC?

Edit: The first reply said that I might get a better result using an S-Video cable. Anybody have experience using the device with an S-video?
    Last edited by eeeeeeeee; 1st Jan 2023 at 18:46.
    Quote Quote  
  7. AGC = "Automatic Gain Control"
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote