VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. hi there,
    i've download one video from web site streaming but my old TV can't watch (video only, audio is ok). here the details from MediaInfo

HTML Code:
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 775 MiB
    Duration : 1 h 27 min
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 1 246 kb/s
    Writing application : Lavf58.32.104

#################Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4
    Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 1 h 27 min
    Bit rate : 1 111 kb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 040 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.85:1
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 23.974 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 23.981 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.023
    Stream size : 692 MiB (89%)
    Writing library : x264 core 157 r2969 d4099dd
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=4 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=32 / lookahead_threads=8 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=20 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=1200 / vbv_bufsize=2048 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Codec configuration box : avcC
    why my TV can't watch this video? i can see other video x264 mp4, mkv, ts but not this video ...
    we have a simple way to edit this video without re-encoding?

anyway if need to re-encoding (no big problem with ffmpeg. for me is enough 480p, my tv is only 21") i want final ratio 16/9 and little black bands above and below
    i've try this command (is for 720, but for me it's ok 480 - more fast speed to renconding)
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -acodec copy -c:v:0 mpeg4 -q:v 3 -s 1280x720 -vf scale=1280:534,pad=1280:720:0:93 -y video_2.mp4
    but i have final video into a black box! i want black bands only above and below! (i don't understand what is wrong on my command ...)
    thanks everybody for help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Could be the profile level, to high.
    You can change it from 4 to g.e. 3.1 with clever Ffmpeg-GUI,
    without recoding.

... and, as for your command line:

ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -acodec copy -c:v:0 mpeg4 -q:v 3 -vf scale=1280:534,pad=1280:720:0:92 -y video_2.mp4
    Last edited by ProWo; 27th Dec 2022 at 06:37.
    Quote Quote  
  3. no mate. nothing work for me

with your clever i've change the profile level to 3.1
    and again my tv can't play this video.

and also your code for ffmpeg does not work for me (with pad 92). i have again my video in a black box

i want squeeze the original video (AR 1.85) to get 16/9 video (AR 1.77)
    but 16/9 is too much. i need to little squeeze (maybe AR 1.80?)
    with the command above (mine or your also) i have black bands above, below, right and left. my video it's inside a black box!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This works for me on a 1920x1040 video

Code:
    ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -c:v:0 mpeg4 -q:v 3 -vf scale=1280:-1,pad=1280:720:-1:-1 -y video_2.mp4
    The -1 in the scale filter keeps the original aspect ratio and the -1s in the pad filter center the image
    Quote Quote  
  5. no work for me.
    1) with your code i have final video 1280x720. i want (for best speed conversion) 480p only
    2) not have any black bar above and below

Flunked.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Could you cut a 20 sec part (with Avidemux) and post it here?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by whs912km View Post
    no mate. nothing work for me

with your clever i've change the profile level to 3.1
    and again my tv can't play this video.

and also your code for ffmpeg does not work for me (with pad 92). i have again my video in a black box

i want squeeze the original video (AR 1.85) to get 16/9 video (AR 1.77)
    but 16/9 is too much. i need to little squeeze (maybe AR 1.80?)
    with the command above (mine or your also) i have black bands above, below, right and left. my video it's inside a black box!
    Maybe your video is encoded WITH black bars, so any further encoding will have the black bars too.
    In this case you must crop first.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by whs912km View Post
    no work for me.
    1) with your code i have final video 1280x720. i want (for best speed conversion) 480p only
    2) not have any black bar above and below

Flunked.
    Originally you said:
    Originally Posted by whs912km View Post
    i want final ratio 16/9 and little black bands above and below
    If you don't want black bars then you can't have 16x9 or you must stretch the video vertically.

For 480 and 16x9 with black bars change 1280 to 854 and 720 to 480 everywhere in the command.

For 480 and 16x9 without black bars change scale=854x480 and remove the pad entirely, your video will not have black bars but will be stretched vertically.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @ ProWo
    no. my original video not have black bars

@ zing
    with -vf scale=854:-1,pad=854:480:-1:-1
    again: the final video is 854x480 but no black bars ... maybe my tv it's stupid, anyway no black bars. the video adapts to the screen
    Quote Quote  
  10. here a trimmed original video (15 sec only)
    https://www.upload.ee/files/14782424/video.mp4.html

and you're right zing, with mpv and your code above i have black bars on my final video, but on my tv cannot ...
    Last edited by whs912km; 27th Dec 2022 at 13:25.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by whs912km View Post
    here a trimmed original video (15 sec only)
    and you're right zing, with mpv and your code above i have black bars on my final video, but on my tv cannot ...
    My suggestion:
    Original: 1920x1040 (1.85:1)
    Downsized: 888x480 (1.85:1)
    Try it on your TV
    If it's unable to scale it to full wide, without borders left and right, then try:
    1280x692 (1.85:1)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by ProWo; 27th Dec 2022 at 15:04. Reason: Info added
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does your tv have a setting for overscan? It might be called picture size, edge control, pc, or something similar. That could crop 2-3% of the image.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rather than continue to guess, it might be a better idea to check the instructions for your TV and see if it mentions exactly what it expects/allows for video files. Or, post your TV's brand and model number here, and one of us will be able to check.

You can also use MediaInfo (in Text mode) to scan a video that works on your TV, then you can re-encode your videos to match those details... though knowing what your TV allows would be better, as the 'working' video might be far from the maximum quality your TV supports.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  14. @ProWo
    your video can play on my tv
    resolution is 888x480. but this video is strech to all screen. no black bars up, down, left, right
    it's ok for left, right (no bb) but missing up and down ...

@zing
    setting for overscan ... no mate. i don't have touch or set nothing about this

@Ai Haibara
    you right. but this video it's very useless for me, i don't think the time spent is worth it
    it's getting stressful for me
    i think best solution for me is resize to 480p and set my tv on output 4:3 LB
    this setting work fine for me, i have final file 16:9 with black bars
    i did not want to force the video output, having to re-encode the entire video, but it's the easiest option, since i can't have the black bars with ffmpeg ....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Change the aspect ratio in the TV settings to Auto. This should fix playback issues.

Or:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -vf "scale=960:540:force_original_aspect_ratio=decrease,pad=960:540:(ow-iw)/2:(oh-ih)/2" outvideo.mp4
    Last edited by rgr; 27th Dec 2022 at 18:16.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by whs912km View Post
    @ProWo
    your video can play on my tv
    resolution is 888x480. but this video is strech to all screen. no black bars up, down, left, right
    it's ok for left, right (no bb) but missing up and down ...
    With 1.85:1 DAR the black bars top and bottom are very small.
    Anyway is exactly as the original and i think it's the best solution for your tv.
    You could try 1280x692 for better quality.
    A final question: It's there a Zoom setting on your TV?
    If so, disable it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. first of all, thank you to everybody for your full support. really appreciated

@rgr
    with AR auto on my TV nothing changes. 16/9 or auto is the same
    about your ffmpeg code: the video output is now 960:540 but again no bbars (16/9 or auto, the same). but this is issue to my tv, your code it's right. i can see the bars on my laptop with mpv, but cannot on my tv ... sigh!

@ProWo
    With 1.85:1 DAR the black bars top and bottom are very small
    i don't see any bars ... also on my laptop with mpv player. maybe very very small. for this, on my post#3, i proposed a little squeeze to the original video, to get small bbars up&down. for me a small change in resolution is an reasonable solution (to have more speed to conversion in 480p only and bbars too)

You could try 1280x692 for better quality
    and this for ?? the AR is always 1.85 and on my tv does not change the quality between 692 and 480 ...

Final question: it's there a zoom setting on your TV?
    outupt set on 16/9 (as mentioned above to rgr). but also on automatic is the same. no other zoom setting
    Last edited by whs912km; 28th Dec 2022 at 02:41.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Try this new encoded video on your TV.
    This time it MUST show the black stripes at the top and bottom, because they are part of the frame.
    Anyway, this type of resizing is nonsense.
    I think your TV can only display 16:9 or 4:3 correctly.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  19. i'm sorry mate, but no. my stupid tv also with your last video can't show stripes, but fit all the video to the screen (16/9 and/or auto)
    work on my laptop. but no on my tv

anyway i have this issue only with this video... i have resized and add bbands to many video in recent years, and always on the same TV
    i don't understand why i don't get what i want with this. never made so much effort!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Tell us the brand and exact model of your TV set
    Quote Quote  
  21. @whs912km:
    Play the file Overscan-test.mp4 on your TV and compare with the attached screenshot.
    Does your TV show the complete picture, or is a part of it hidden by overscan?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	reference_.png
Views:	22
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	68382  

Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Sharc; 28th Dec 2022 at 05:44.
    Quote Quote  
  22. @ProWo
    my TV is very old ... anyway
    brand: Tele System
    model: PALCO19 LED01 B01

@Sharc
    on my TV i see that. on 16/9 output and same on automatic output

[Attachment 68384 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by whs912km View Post
    @ProWo
    my TV is very old ... anyway
    brand: Tele System
    model: PALCO19 LED01 B01
    Max resolution 1366 x 768, but the rest seems normal.
    You have 2,5% overscan. You connect via USB or HDMI?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    @whs912km:
    Play the file Overscan-test.mp4 on your TV ...
    Thanks for this, Sharc, this is very useful.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by whs912km View Post
    @Sharc
    on my TV i see that. on 16/9 output and same on automatic output

[Attachment 68384 - Click to enlarge]
    OK. Your TV has 2.5% overscan. Thats why you will not see the small top/bottom borders of 1.85:1 movies. They are simply hidden by the overscan of your TV. Nothing really wrong with it. It's not unusual for old TVs to apply some overscan.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You connect via USB or HDMI?
    HDMI

Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    It's not unusual for old TVs to apply some overscan
    yes, me too i think so.
    anyway to get around this, my best solution is apply -vf scale only and watch on my TV with output 4:3LB
    with this, i have fast video conversion on ffmpeg and i have also video output on 16/9 with black bars too.
    or simply with output in 16/9 i watch the video adapted to the full screen

this only because this video is AR 1.85
    in many other video i can add bbars with -vf scale,pad but need original video is AR 2.40 or 1.77 (16/9)

anyway i think this thread is ended. Thanks to everybody of you for your tip and advice. Happy Holidays guys
    Quote Quote  
  27. another news: today i've check errors with clever (GUI developper by ProWo, thanks mate for this GUI) and i have this error from my video talking above:
    Code:
    [null @ 00000000023fca00] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 0: 64734 >= 64733
    [null @ 00000000023fca00] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 0: 64734 >= 64734
    maybe my issue to watch on my TV is due to this error?? or useless error?

and another question @ProWo: from clever on Video Conversion section i see on encoder, also wmp.
    but wmp is actually good format ? better than mpeg2 ?
    from all clever encoders which is the fastest for a conversion and good quality? from xvid, divx, wmp, mpeg2
    example libx264 is excellent quality but speed conversion is only 2x; with mpeg2 speed conversion is about 5x (big final file, near quality, but faster speed)
    Last edited by whs912km; 29th Dec 2022 at 03:12.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by whs912km View Post
    another news: today i've check errors with clever (GUI developper by ProWo, thanks mate for this GUI) and i have this error from my video talking above:
    Code:
    [null @ 00000000023fca00] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 0: 64734 >= 64733
    [null @ 00000000023fca00] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 0: 64734 >= 64734
    maybe my issue to watch on my TV is due to this error?? or useless error?

and another question @ProWo: from clever on Video Conversion section i see on encoder, also wmp.
    but wmp is actually good format ? better than mpeg2 ?
    from all clever encoders which is the fastest for a conversion and good quality? from xvid, divx, wmp, mpeg2
    example libx264 is excellent quality but speed conversion is only 2x; with mpeg2 speed conversion is about 5x (big final file, near quality, but faster speed)
    This error has nothing to do with your display issues.
    wmp is an old codec.
    neither wmp nor mpeg2 are up to date today.
    Use the default x264 encoder with CRF23 and preset veryfast.
    The speed should not interest you, what counts is the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Recode your original 1920x1040 video with this settings:

[Attachment 68397 - Click to enlarge]

This should compensate the 2.5% overscan and let you see the whole videoframe on your TV.
    Change the TV display setting from 16:9 to auto.
    Quote Quote  
  30. ok mate. i try your setting soon.

another question: for test only (another test ...) i've try to change again the profile level to 3.1 with clever and it work fine very fast
    but with simply ffmpeg i've run: ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -c:v libx264 -profile:v main -level:v 3.1 -c:a copy output.mp4

the speed with this code above is very low ... 0.9x
    much lower than re-encoding (with -c:v libx264 my speed is 2.1x with 540p video resizing)
    how your app is very fast? which string does it use for simple profile switching?
    Quote Quote