VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does any one know if a Sony DCR-TRV110E Digital8 PAL camcorder will playback NTSC Hi8 analog recordings? It plays PAL Hi8 analog recordings fine but I don't have any NTSC Hi8 analog recordings to try it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would anyone be willing to sell me an 8mm tape with some analogue (video8 or Hi8, LP or SP) NTSC format footage recorded on it? I just tried playing a Digital8 NTSC tape on a Sony DCR-TRV320E PAL and captured the footage successfully with Ulead software. Previous attempts with other softwares had failed, as the picture was completely broken up and unusable. I would really like to try capturing an analogue 8mm recording, to see if it works. I'm in the U.K.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best to buy what you need from ebay,we don't sell or buy anything here.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It plays NTSC in PAL60, Not true NTSC, So only certain capture devices can capture PAL60. Look up PAL60 to understand what it is. NTSC tapes are better played back or captured with a native NTSC camcorder for best quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    It plays NTSC in PAL60, Not true NTSC, So only certain capture devices can capture PAL60. Look up PAL60 to understand what it is. NTSC tapes are better played back or captured with a native NTSC camcorder for best quality.
    While that's 95% true for PAL VHS machines.....that may not be the case for camcorders. They were strange little animals.
    NTSC playback on a PAL VHS machine was at one time an added feature and advertised as such. It eventually became (almost) universal.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It is 100% true for any PAL camcorder, If you can point me to a PAL camcorder that plays NTSC in native NTSC 3.58MHz I will buy it for any price.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by nevillestyke View Post
    Does any one know if a Sony DCR-TRV110E Digital8 PAL camcorder will playback NTSC Hi8 analog recordings? It plays PAL Hi8 analog recordings fine but I don't have any NTSC Hi8 analog recordings to try it.
    These are the options according to the manual. So NTSC Playback for Digital8 recordings only it seems, but not for analog Hi8 recordings.

[Attachment 68320 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-12-26 120722.png
Views:	8
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	68321  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-12-26 121054.png
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	68322  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-12-26 121627.png
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	68323  

Last edited by Sharc; 26th Dec 2022 at 05:23.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Best to buy what you need from ebay,we don't sell or buy anything here.
    Thanks, yes, I've now bought an NTSC video8 camcorder on ebay, so I can make a tape for myself and try it (not that I expect to be able to play it back on a PAL DCR-TRV110E)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I got an NTSC analogue Hi8 recorded tape and I found that the TRV110E PAL camcorder would not play any recordings satisfactorily (no surprise there). When I tried the NTSC analogue Hi8 recorded tape, played back on a TRV320E (which plays Digital8 LP as well as Digital8 SP and PAL analogue tapes), I found that SP was o.k. played back through a TV screen but would not transfer to a computer, with the ULEAD software on this computer. LP was no good at all.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    How are you connecting the camcorder to the computer? If using firewire (iLink) use Sclive software. Any paid program is worse for this task and they often compress on the fly to MPEG-2 or MPEG-4, But as I mentioned earlier your camcorder is not capable of playing back the true native NTSC a.k.a NTSC 3.58MHz, It outputs either NTSC 4.43MHz or PAL60.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have also noticed that analogue Hi8 and video8 PAL recordings will not playback on a Sony NTSC analogue camcorder, unlike digital format PAL recordings which will playback on a Sony NTSC digital camcorder.
    Quote Quote