VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have a Win 11 PC for web surfing, and a Win 10 PC for video/audio editing which is off the grid. The Win 10 only sees an internet connection when I use DVDFab, and for monthly anti-virus scans.

I've followed the instructions for permanently disabling updates, but I still randomly get notifications to update.
    (Windows Key+R/services.msc/Windows Update/"Disable") etc.

It could be my imagination, but maybe it gets switched back to "Manual" anytime there is an internet connection? In fact, I'm currently using the Win 10 PC to post this thread. I just disabled the updates and re-started the PC. Double checked and it was still set to "disabled". As I'm typing this post I checked again and now it's set "Manual" (see attached pic).

Am I missing something? Are there more than one area to disable updates? Just below the regular updates is an option called "Windows Update Medic Service", but I get an "access denied" message when I try to disable.

The updates seem to disable my ability to capture with VirtualDub so I really need to permanently disable.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Service Manager.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	68287  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clashradio View Post
    Hello,

I have a Win 11 PC for web surfing, and a Win 10 PC for video/audio editing which is off the grid. The Win 10 only sees an internet connection when I use DVDFab, and for monthly anti-virus scans.

I've followed the instructions for permanently disabling updates, but I still randomly get notifications to update.
    (Windows Key+R/services.msc/Windows Update/"Disable") etc.

It could be my imagination, but maybe it gets switched back to "Manual" anytime there is an internet connection? In fact, I'm currently using the Win 10 PC to post this thread. I just disabled the updates and re-started the PC. Double checked and it was still set to "disabled". As I'm typing this post I checked again and now it's set "Manual" (see attached pic).

Am I missing something? Are there more than one area to disable updates? Just below the regular updates is an option called "Windows Update Medic Service", but I get an "access denied" message when I try to disable.

The updates seem to disable my ability to capture with VirtualDub so I really need to permanently disable.
    see here - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-automatic-updates-in...e-f541298af750
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    SOURCE: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8013-enable-disable-windows-update-automatic-updat...dows-10-a.html

{{
    OPTION SEVEN
    To Enable or Disable Automatic Updates using WAU Manager

This option will work in all Windows 10 editions.

WAU Manager (Windows Automatic Updates Manager) is a fully featured replacement for the built in Windows Updating interface. This tool gives you full control of the Windows Updates, such as when and how they are installed, and has full uninstall and maintenance support for Windows updates.

WAU Manager was built to fully replace the built in Windows Automatic Updating (WAU) system. However, unlike the latter, WAU Manger puts you in control of everything. With WAU Manager you can:

1. Update manually when desired with just one click on a dedicated desktop shortcut
    2. Update automatically with the desired frequency. Once a day, once a month or once a year, or whatever you decide.
    3. You get to choose whether the available updates are automatically downloaded and installed or not.
    4. Easily uninstall several updates at once.

Basically you just need to make a few adjustments from the Dashboard dialog box to set everything up the way you want. If you need more advanced options, such as uninstalling or hiding/unhiding updates, they are all available straight from the Setup interface. The available modules are all linked together by the application menu, always available at the top right corner of the application's interface.

WAU Manager does not use the built in WAU schedule. Instead, it has its own schedule which works regardless of whether WAU are enabled or not. In fact, for WAU Manager to work flawlessly, you should disable Windows Updates completely. You can do that in WAU Manager's Dashboard module.

Besides the Dashboard module, WAU Manager has four more modules:

- The Install updates module, which searches for available updates, and installs the desired ones. You can also hide updates from this module. Hidden updates are not displayed as available for install.
    - The Uninstall Updates module, which lets you uninstall or hide updates that were previously installed.
    - The Unhide Updates module, which lets you view hidden updates and unhide the desired ones.
    - The View update history module, which displays the Windows Update history and lets you perform maintenance actions related to Windows Update.
    }}

download: https://www.carifred.com/wau_manager/
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    P.S.: but if everything else fails...

"You have to kill all permissions to wuauclt.exe and wuaueng.dll so the system can't launch Windows Update,
    EVER.
    This is the only 100% solution."

Read more at: https://www.wintips.org/how-to-turn-off-windows-10-updates-permanently/
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote