VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello -- first post here and I hope I found the right forum

My new project for 2023 is to convert all my parents' Video 8 footage to digital. I found their old Handycam, but any tape I play back on it has some horizontal interference / lines at the bottom, both when viewed through the viewfinder and also when connected to a TV through the yellow/black connectors.

I already cleaned the rotating head inside the mechanism (with alcohol), but that didn't change a thing. Is there any other adjustment I can make to alleviate this issue? See attached photo.

This is a PAL camcorder & TV and all tapes were recorded using the same device.

Thanks & Happy Holidays!
    -J

[Attachment 68285 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. I believe that using a Digital 8 camcorder having built-in TBC should help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like the tape head guides are loose,you can check by opening the door and and see if the tape guides rotate on the top where they are screwed in.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Sounds like the tape head guides are loose,you can check by opening the door and and see if the tape guides rotate on the top where they are screwed in.
    So the tape head guides are those three-prong looking things, one on each side, correct? They seem a bit loose when I wiggle at them. But to be honest, that's the same with my other (miniDV) camcorder. Should they be completely wiggle-free?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    I believe that using a Digital 8 camcorder having built-in TBC should help.
    I'm also thinking I should get a Digital 8 camcorder, perhaps one of those higher-spec models that uses FireWire and has analog pass-through so I can also use it to digitize VHS tapes through a connected VCR.

What is TBC btw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When i meant that they were loose i meant the tape guide its self,when the tape guide rotates on the screw mount it goes out of alignment because the screw has become lose,all tape guides wiggle.

Look at the picture and you will see where the arrow is pointing to,thats the part that gets loose.A time base corrector is for stabilizing vcr pictures.
    Image Attached Files
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    As John said, Either your camcorder is misaligned or the camcorder that recorded the tapes is/was misaligned.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    When i meant that they were loose i meant the tape guide its self,when the tape guide rotates on the screw mount it goes out of alignment because the screw has become lose,all tape guides wiggle.

Look at the picture and you will see where the arrow is pointing to,thats the part that gets loose.A time base corrector is for stabilizing vcr pictures.
    excuse me, seems no arrow point out the tape guide.... could help to point out in below? thanks.
    [Attachment 68697 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    One if fully retracted, the other is still under the tape carriage, Your camcorder is defective, possible broken linkage guide. Watch 12voltvids on YouTube to learn how to fix and align these things.
    Quote Quote