VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

I installed a FireWire card into my Dell XPS, followed instructions from the manufacture (Syba) and used the Studio 1 Productions website.

I've not tried the "Legacy" drivers as it's said they are not used for Windows 11. The PCI card appears under "IEEE 1394 host controllers" as "Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" so this leads me to believe all is working ok.

I have a Panasonic NV-DS27 MiniDV camcorder which has an iLink DV out port which I'm attempting to use for capture. When plugged in and switched on the camcorder appears under "Imaging Devices" as "Panasonic DV Camcorder" and "Panasonic Vendor Unique Subunit".

I've attempted to capture via WinDV-1.2.3 but nothing appears on screen, WinDV does detect the camera though.
    Adobe Premiere Pro also detects the camera but gives me audio with no video.

I've tried many different settings and have not been successful. I did at one stage in WinDV wiggle the DV cable a little and I got a brief frame of the video appear and then disappear which lead me to believe it could be the cable. I tried another cable and still no luck.

The fear is the DV port on the camera is shot and I have no other DV devices to test it. What do you guys think?
    Any help is apprecitated.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
  2. Check webcam privacy settings.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by cdrose View Post
    I did at one stage in WinDV wiggle the DV cable a little and I got a brief frame of the video appear and then disappear which lead me to believe it could be the cable. I tried another cable and still no luck.
    If wiggling the cable displayed a few video frames, it's probably not a driver nor permissions issue. I would try the "wiggle" test a few more times, to see if you can narrow down the issue. Changing the cable didn't help, so the cable is probably fine - my guess at this point is that it's an issue with the port on the camera. Try wiggling gently while capturing where the cable attaches to the camera, and see if you can get it "just right" so that it makes a connection and allows your capture to complete.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    Originally Posted by cdrose View Post
    I did at one stage in WinDV wiggle the DV cable a little and I got a brief frame of the video appear and then disappear which lead me to believe it could be the cable. I tried another cable and still no luck.
    If wiggling the cable displayed a few video frames, it's probably not a driver nor permissions issue.
    I disagree. Given that DV audio and video data are interleaved together, if the audio bytes reaching the computer aren't dropping out, the video bytes shouldn't either.

If the issue is the Windows privacy setting, possibly the wiggling caused a reconnection event and a frame was briefly displayed "by mistake".
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Windows privacy seem to be the only logical explanation, To be able to strip video only from the firewire stream it has to be decoded first, So WinDV is decoding the stream and Windows privacy setting is blocking the video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone, I will check the Windows privacy settings.

I did more research and I believe it's to do with my Nvidia Graphics card / drivers. Really strange but I'm running two identical monitors and when I move the WinDV window around and place it inbetween the monitors I can see the preview while holding the mouse 1 button down keeping the "window drag" active.

I'm on latest drivers have an RTX 3080.
    Quote Quote