VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34
Thread
  1. Hello! Tell me the actual AVS-filter for sharpening the video. I'm using FFT3DGPU, it has a sharpening option. But I want to try a different filter, a better one.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by davexnet; 19th Dec 2022 at 17:58.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I have seen this list. It has a lot of filters. That's why I asked which filter is good and modern. For H265 HD and FHD video middle quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Help me, please.

    At least tell me, are CAS, CASm, CASP good filters?
    Quote Quote  
  5. CAS is good at what it does. I'm not familiar with CASm or CASP. But what sharpening filter you use depends on the nature of your video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gelo333 View Post
    Help me, please.

    At least tell me, are CAS, CASm, CASP good filters?
    You're much more likely to get some useful info if you provide a clip from your source.
    I don't think it's one size fits all
    Quote Quote  
  7. I would like to find the best universal way. I don't need to have a perfect result in every video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If there was a universal best way there would be no need for any others.
    Quote Quote  
  9. My final request for help. Rate filters AWarpSharp2 and Finesharp.

    I spent time learning about AWarpSharp2 functions. But when using it, it turned out that this filter makes a subtle effect of sharpening.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    You're going to have to do some reading and get an understanding of what your source needs.
    Some sharpeners sharpen everything, some target the lines only, others are adaptive.

    I've used Finesharp before, it sharpens everything, including imperfections and makes them worse - hence the warning it comes with
    I've only ever used awarpsharp with NNEDI3_rpow2 prior to 2x upscale. I believe the theory is that it cleans up the edges a little.

    For some specific recommendations post a sample of your source

    You can use a script like this to do a side-by-side comparison
    Code:
    orig=lwlibavvideosource("I:\media\source.mkv")
    sharpened=asharp(orig,d=7.0,b=3.0)
    #sharpened=seesaw(orig)
    stackhorizontal(orig,sharpened)
    Last edited by davexnet; 22nd Dec 2022 at 19:54.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I used ASharp. It doesn't make noise. This filter sharpens the edges very well, but not all other areas very well. And it increases the encoding time by 50%. At the same time, it significantly lowers the PSNR.

    Do you think I can try further ASharp? Try different settings, etc. I'm confused by the release date of this filter in 2002.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Download 1.0.0.7 from here.
    https://github.com/Asd-g/AviSynth-ASharp/releases/

    Yes, you may have to play with the settings to get it to your liking - true of most filters
    Quote Quote  
  13. In other words, can I opt for Asharp? Is this filter relevant at the moment and is it suitable for modern video?

    -----

    I am confused by the work of some filters. For example, CASm after its use makes the video, on the contrary, more blurry. How is this possible??? I turn on the filter to get a sharper image, but the result is blurry. What was the developer thinking?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gelo333 View Post
    In other words, can I opt for Asharp? Is this filter relevant at the moment and is it suitable for modern video?

    -----

    I am confused by the work of some filters. For example, CASm after its use makes the video, on the contrary, more blurry. How is this possible??? I turn on the filter to get a sharper image, but the result is blurry. What was the developer thinking?
    Did you come to any conclusions? I've been reading some of the older posts and a few users like asharp with the following
    settings. This is relatively gentle and there's an adaptive component. You can also add b= if the source is blocky, to avoid oversharpening the block noise
    Code:
    asharp(t=1,d=3)
    Quote Quote  
  15. I didn't find the optimal solution. Since my main goal is to reduce the file size, I agree with the middle quality and the noise. But these sharpers do not give the desired result.

    Asharp does a good job of sharpening edges, but does little to sharpen other objects, for example hair. The same can be said about the other Sharpers. It seems that they all care about working with anime.

    In addition, as soon as the sharpness begins to approach the desired result, the file structure begins to collapse, which can be seen in the PSNR, and the file size also begins to progressively increase.

    I have read good reviews about FineSharp. But the author of the filter himself said that this filter is for streaming video of excellent quality, and not for encoding files.
    Last edited by gelo333; 30th Dec 2022 at 22:37.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if there is a specific relationship to PSNR and sharpening other than the fact that it will demand more bitrate
    because you've introduced more details. If you use CRF encoding, the file size will increase, that's expected.
    Or if you use a fixed bitrate (2-pass, etc) quality goes down.

    I've used Finesharp once or twice, use it if you think it helps. Did you read this thread?
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166082
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by gelo333 View Post
    In addition, as soon as the sharpness begins to approach the desired result, the file structure begins to collapse, which can be seen in the PSNR
    PSNR and all the other image comparison metrics at base calculate the difference between pixels at the same location in the two images. Sharpening causes pixels at edges to get brighter or darker. To the metrics, even with a "perfect" sharpener, that's an error, not an improvement. So of course the PSNR rates badly relative to the source.

    Originally Posted by gelo333 View Post
    and the file size also begins to progressively increase
    Sharper, more detailed video requires more bitrate. And indiscriminate sharpening increases noise -- increasing the bitrate requirement. Your expectation of smaller file sizes after sharpening is backward.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by gelo333 View Post
    I didn't find the optimal solution. Since my main goal is to reduce the file size, I agree with the middle quality and the noise. But these sharpers do not give the desired result.

    Asharp does a good job of sharpening edges, but does little to sharpen other objects, for example hair. The same can be said about the other Sharpers. It seems that they all care about working with anime.

    In addition, as soon as the sharpness begins to approach the desired result, the file structure begins to collapse, which can be seen in the PSNR, and the file size also begins to progressively increase.

    I have read good reviews about FineSharp. But the author of the filter himself said that this filter is for streaming video of excellent quality, and not for encoding files.


    all sharpeners will increase the bitrate (thus filesize) at a given CRF or quantizer .

    all sharpeners will decrease the PSNR at a given bitrate

    So the ideal solution for you is NOT to sharpen, since your main goal is reduce the file size

    To reduce filesize and improve compressibility, you should denoise and also look at higher compression (encoders, encoding settings)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Sharper, more detailed video requires more bitrate. And indiscriminate sharpening increases noise -- increasing the bitrate requirement. Your expectation of smaller file sizes after sharpening is backward.
    My main problem is that I can't do the necessary sharpening.

    Increasing the file size, reducing the metric, the appearance of noise, these are minor problems, I am ready for some compromises in this.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I've used Finesharp once or twice, use it if you think it helps. Did you read this thread?
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166082
    Yes, I read this thread. It was there that I read that the author of Finesharp says that this filter is needed for streaming video, not for encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    all sharpeners will increase the bitrate (thus filesize) at a given CRF or quantizer .

    all sharpeners will decrease the PSNR at a given bitrate

    So the ideal solution for you is NOT to sharpen, since your main goal is reduce the file size

    To reduce filesize and improve compressibility, you should denoise and also look at higher compression (encoders, encoding settings
    I use CQP in hardware encode, VCEEnc 265 codec. I reduce video resolution, reduce bitrate, use denoiser. It is impossible to do without sharpness compensation.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by gelo333 View Post
    I use CQP in hardware encode, VCEEnc 265 codec. I reduce video resolution, reduce bitrate, use denoiser. It is impossible to do without sharpness compensation.
    You don't "have to" sharpen . It' s not a strict requirement

    You can try different scalers (resampling algorithms), a better encoder (VCEEnc 265 is probably among the worst HEVC encoders), a better denoiser suitable for your noise type. ( FFT3DGPU, mentioned in the 1st post, if that's what you're using for the denoising operation - is not considered that great)

    You decide where you want to make tradeoffs.
    Quote Quote  
  23. If you're downscaling a lot try DPID.
    http://www.avisynth.nl/index.php/DPID
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by gelo333 View Post
    I use CQP in hardware encode, VCEEnc 265 codec. I reduce video resolution, reduce bitrate, use denoiser. It is impossible to do without sharpness compensation.
    You don't "have to" sharpen . It' s not a strict requirement

    You can try different scalers (resampling algorithms), a better encoder (VCEEnc 265 is probably among the worst HEVC encoders), a better denoiser suitable for your noise type. ( FFT3DGPU, mentioned in the 1st post, if that's what you're using for the denoising operation - is not considered that great)

    You decide where you want to make tradeoffs.
    I'm using FFT3DGPU because it runs on the graphics card's GPU. This greatly speeds up the encoding time. For the same reason, I use VCEEnc.

    I would be grateful if you tell me the denoise filter on VapourSynth. I don't need ideal optimization, a speedy and universal method is better.
    Last edited by gelo333; 31st Dec 2022 at 22:13.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you're downscaling a lot try DPID.
    http://www.avisynth.nl/index.php/DPID
    I change the resolution from 1080p to 720p. Do I need a DPID?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks for answering and trying to help me. And Happy New Year everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by gelo333 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you're downscaling a lot try DPID.
    http://www.avisynth.nl/index.php/DPID
    I change the resolution from 1080p to 720p. Do I need a DPID?
    It's probably not going to look much different than something like Spline36Resize(). But you won't know for sure until you try it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. LSFmod is not a speed filter.
    Quote Quote  
  29. GLSL sharpeners are fast, if it's speed that is needed, looking into https://github.com/Asd-g/avslibplacebo and adaptive-sharpen.glsl might be worth a try.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads