VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all. I’ve been looking at standalone DVD recorders that can record on DVD+/-DL and had a question about the layer transition. When playing back a commercial dual layer DVD, there is sometimes a slight pause when the laser transitions from one layer to another. Does this happen when recording dual layer DVDs as well? For example, if I’m recording in SP mode, will I be able to record straight through for ~3.5 hours, or would the recording stop once the first layer of the disc reaches capacity?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you disclosed the make and model of the DVD recorder(s) you are considering perhaps someone could tell you how they handle dual-layer DVDs.

Assuming the DVD recorder can use both layers, the transition to the second layer is going to be noticeable. It is necessary for a human to choose the position for the layer break ahead of time to make the transition between layers less noticeable if someone is burning a dual-layer DVD with a PC using software, such as ImgBurn. As far as I know, that wouldn't be possible if someone is using a stand-alone DVD recorder to record. The recorder will simply start recording on the second layer when the first laser is full.

If you are recording over-the-air TV there are probably better options than a DVD recorder available for you to do that in 2022. For 8 years I used a DVD recorder for recording over-the-air TV. I don't do that any longer. For one thing, standalone DVD recorders aren't being made for N. America anymore and recordable DVDs are harder to find and more expensive now.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, usually_quiet. Yes, the recorders are certainly very scarce these days (and quite expensive as a result).

I was thinking of the Samsung DVD-R155. I’ve seen a few units on eBay and Amazon.

I do remember choosing the position of the layer break for the few DVD+R DLs I burned on my PC years ago. I wasn’t even aware that some standalone DVD recorders were capable of recording to DL discs until a few days ago.

I’ve used a Magnavox ZV457MG9 for over a decade and am very happy with it. I use it mostly to archive live events and obscure TV shows that aren’t available on streaming services or commercially released discs. Fortunately, I’ve never had a problem finding blank discs. I was just intrigued about upgrading to a DL-capable recorder.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Samsung DVD-R155 can only be used to record from stereo audio-out plus composite-out or S-video-out connections on some other device. It has no tuner. As I recall, the DVD recorder experts here did not think that Samsung DVD recorders were good machines.

The manual doesn't mention dual-layer recordable DVD media at all. The manual lists only the following types of DVD media as compatible with recording: DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM. If the Samsung DVD-R155 has the ability to record on dual-layer DVDs, it is an undocumented feature, and the DVD-R155 would likely be able to use only the first layer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks. It looks like the Sony RDR-GX355 can record to DVD+R DL, as it is documented in the manual (below). Do you have experience with/opinions of Sony DVD recorders?

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/W000/W0009153M.pdf

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have any personal experience with Sony DVD recorders. The recorders I owned were made by Panasonic and Magnavox/Funai. I vaguely remember some discussions where some Sony DVD recorders were considered pretty good, but I don't recall which models those were, and can't find the threads discussing the good ones. There are a few people here with extensive knowledge of DVD recorders. Maybe one of them will see your post.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used very few DL blanks in my Panasoics but a few. As Panasonic DVDRs prefer the - format, those are the best to get for a Panasonic but AFAIK haven't been available for years, even when they were made they were very hard to find, the best ones were made by Ty. That said I mostly used Verbatim +r DLs of the 2.4x and a few 8x varieties. IMO DL media is NOT the place to cheap out, I never used Ritek? which were mostly of what they call "landfill" grade.
    Other than in '06 with HDD Panasonics, which only allowed you to burn to DL blanks if you first recorded on the HDD and then later HS(losslessly) burned it to a DL blank. With the '07 EZ Panasonics they allowed direct to DVD burning on DL media but you first had to close the first layer before you could then record to the second layer, not good for a live recording as you'd lost quite a bit of time doing this. The '08 Panasonics were the last Panasonic made for N. America and they would allow continuous recording from one layer to another but you still lost a tiny bit during the layer change.
    Truthfully as I mostly used Panasonics and IMO they can give quite good full-resolution recordings up to about 3hrs or optimally around 2h 42min(2.7h) I rarely used DLs as I rarely recorded anything longer than 3hrs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Actually many DVD-players are able to play over the layer break without the slightest pause (as if there was no layer break at all).
    I was surprised when I realized this as a result of my own tests many years ago, because all over the internet you read that the layer break absolutely is going to cause a short pause.

But when you record a DVD±DL with a standalone machine, a short period is almost certainly going to be lost at the break point during recording, so it's going to be noticeable.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks, all.

jjeff-Could you share some model numbers for the ‘08 Panasonics you mentioned? I’d like to look at some Panasonics in that class.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The EA-18 is a tunerless(line input only) DVDR that was quite reliable.
    The EZ-28 has a digital tuner and DVDR and has also proven to be quite reliable, I have a couple.
    The EZ-38v is similar to the EA-18 but also includes a VCR, slightly less reliable than both the above but still not bad.
    Lastly, the EZ-48v which is the quirkiest of the last year of N. American Panasonics. Like the EA-38v it has a VHS recorder but like the EZ-28 it also has a digital tuner. I had one for a few days but quickly returned it due to its many quirks.
    Note these are all model year '08 but were sold several years after but they were all of the '08 design. The x7 model year Panasonics('07) followed the same naming standard but were not as perfected/reliable as the x8 Panasonics. I had several EZ-17's and EZ-27s but returned them all to poor design and unreliability, in '07 Panasonic didn't have the tunerless models but the EZ-17 and 37v lacked HDMI while the EZ-27 and EZ-47v had HDMI output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    Actually many DVD-players are able to play over the layer break without the slightest pause (as if there was no layer break at all).
    I was surprised when I realized this as a result of my own tests many years ago, because all over the internet you read that the layer break absolutely is going to cause a short pause.

But when you record a DVD±DL with a standalone machine, a short period is almost certainly going to be lost at the break point during recording, so it's going to be noticeable.
    As per the spec, it was expected that there WOULD be a lag at the layer break, so there was an art to pro authoring to find the best spot to perform that and make it least obtrusive.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    The EZ-28 has a digital tuner and DVDR and has also proven to be quite reliable, I have a couple.
    The EZ-38v is similar to the EA-18 but also includes a VCR, slightly less reliable than both the above but still not bad.
    Lastly, the EZ-48v which is the quirkiest of the last year of N. American Panasonics. Like the EA-38v it has a VHS recorder but like the EZ-28 it also has a digital tuner. I had one for a few days but quickly returned it due to its many quirks.
    Note these are all model year '08 but were sold several years after but they were all of the '08 design. The x7 model year Panasonics('07) followed the same naming standard but were not as perfected/reliable as the x8 Panasonics. I had several EZ-17's and EZ-27s but returned them all to poor design and unreliability, in '07 Panasonic didn't have the tunerless models but the EZ-17 and 37v lacked HDMI while the EZ-27 and EZ-47v had HDMI output.
    I just bid on a DMR-EH59 online. It has all the features I want. However, I just noticed it is labeled for region 2 use. I’m in the US. I’d be using the unit to record content from an external device onto the HDD, then occasionally burning some selected content onto DVD. Thus, I don’t need a built-in ATSC or NTSC tuner. Just wondering if this unit would even work with my HDTV and my old NTSC VCR and satellite receiver.
    Also, I noticed it operates on 220 volts. I assume I would need a unit that operates on 110 volts. 🤦🏻
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dawgsfan View Post

I just bid on a DMR-EH59 online. It has all the features I want. However, I just noticed it is labeled for region 2 use. I’m in the US. I’d be using the unit to record content from an external device onto the HDD, then occasionally burning some selected content onto DVD. Thus, I don’t need a built-in ATSC or NTSC tuner. Just wondering if this unit would even work with my HDTV and my old NTSC VCR and satellite receiver.
    Also, I noticed it operates on 220 volts. I assume I would need a unit that operates on 110 volts. 🤦🏻
    Thanks.
    This is inadvisable, likely to to be useless in your scenario
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dawgsfan View Post
    Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    Thanks.
    I have several EH-59s and I use them as you are intending for recording and they work perfectly. They are multi-voltage and work on 120v 60hz just as well as 220v 50hz, you only need a plug adapter(generally included from a grey market US seller) to go from it's 2 round pins used in Europe to our 2 vertical slots. It records like all DVDRs I've ever seen in all regions so DVDs recorded on it will play in any DVD player, once the DVD is finalized. My EH-59s do say region 2 so it's possible it will only play a region 2 DVD(or DVD with all regions) but I don't know, I really never play pre-recorded DVDs on my EH-59s or any DVDR for that matter as I much prefer a good quality DVD player to play my finalized DVDs and only use my DVDRs to record. It also saves wear and tear on my much more expensive DVDRs.

And note, an EH-59 has no NTSC tuner, only PAL so everything needs to be recorded via it's video or S-video inputs. Also note and this can be a pretty big caveat if you are fussy about black levels and aren't recording from a line output device that has a DARKER setting, the recorded DVD will have a slightly elevated black level. True you can just lower the brightness on your TV but it's something to be aware of. For this reason, I personally only recorded on my EH-59s from devices like a DVD player that had a DARKER setting like all Sonys and Pioneers and Samsungs to mention a few brands. I never found a VCR that had a DARKER setting so for my VCR conversion project I used my N. American Panasonics and got perfect black levels.

I personally was never able to find a simple device to convert from our lighter NTSC(+7.5 IRE) black level to the rest of the world's darker 0 IRE black level but always thought someone would come out with such a device but alas I never found one. I suppose if you had something like a proc amp with adjustable black levels that would work but as I had several N. American Panasonics I just used those if I were recording from something like a VCR or even an external tuner which pretty much always lacked a DARKER output setting.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    I personally was never able to find a simple device to convert from our lighter NTSC(+7.5 IRE) black level to the rest of the world's darker 0 IRE black level but always thought someone would come out with such a device but alas I never found one. I suppose if you had something like a proc amp with adjustable black levels that would work but as I had several N. American Panasonics I just used those if I were recording from something like a VCR or even an external tuner which pretty much always lacked a DARKER output setting.
    To perform correct pedestal (+7.5IRE) subtraction in digital domain you need more than 8 bit ADC and as pedestal removal in case of the 8 bit ADC should be performed in analog domain. So you need to search device equipped with more than 8 bit ADC or analog pedestal removal one.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    Thanks again for your help.
    I purchased a Panasonic DMR-EZ28 from Ebay that will arrive this week. I’ve read the owner’s manual and am curious about the flex recording feature. Do you happen to remember roughly how long you can set a flex recording and still get full D1 resolution? Is this also one of the Panasonics that has full D1 resolution up to LP (4-hour) mode?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, 4h by either using FR set to 4h on a blank DVD or just LP.
    Quote Quote  
  18. The DMR-EZ28 is working well so far, but my last few recordings have produced weird chapters. The manual says a finalized DVD-R should have chapters every 5 minutes or so. I just finalized a DVD recorded in FR mode for 2h18m and ended up with 49 chapters. Is there any way to switch this back to chapters every 5 minutes? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately there is not a way to change the auto-generated chapters nor add chapters of your own on an EZ-28 nor any Panasonic without a HDD. I don't particularly pay attention to chapters on my recorded DVDs but I have noticed while it might be every 5 minutes on a SP recorded DVD that 5 minutes doesn't hold true for other speeds or FR. Kind of odd it's not consistent but no way to change the chapter marks.
    Quote Quote  
  20. What’s the difference between the DMR-EZ28 and the DMR-EZ28K?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I recall, a "K" in the model number means that the case is black. The silver version has an "S" instead.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Dawgsfan, if you're still using your DMR-EZ28 for recording, you should take a look at using DVD-RAM discs. I've been using Panasonic 4.7 GB DVD-RAM discs for years for recording on my EZ28s. They are erasable (though they will eventually go bad), and recordings can be edited, including trimming the beginning and/or end of a recording and deleting commercials by splitting a recording into different segments, deleting the commercial segments, and rejoining the remaining segments back into one recording. Recordings on DVD-RAM do not have automatic chapter marks, but a chapter mark is added when two segments are rejoined after deleting other segments. Chapter marks can be added later during playback.

If you don't need to further edit your recording with DVD authoring software, you can use ImgBurn to create an image file from the DVD-RAM that you can then burn to DVD. The DVD will not have a menu, but all your chapter marks will be there.

If you do want to edit your recording with DVD authoring software, the video file can be copied to your PC without the disc having to be finalized. The DVD-RAM will have three files in the DVD-RTAV subdirectory. The VR_MOVIE.VRO file is the one to copy to your hard drive. It's an mpg file, so just change the extension from .vro to.mpg. Multiple recordings on a DVD-RAM will all be in one file.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanks, JohnnyO. That would actually be really helpful. Is there a particular DVD-RAM disc you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  24. No problem. I use Panasonic DVD-RAM 4.7 GB discs. The box says LM-HC47LUS. They record at 2-3X speed. Search for Panasonic DVD-RAM disc on Amazon or eBay. They're pricey now, but you will be able to use them over and over. The best per-disc price on Amazon looks to be a 10-pack for $66. A couple eBay sellers have a better price: a 5-pack for $25. (The sticker on my last unopened box of 5 discs from Fry's Electronics says $6.99!) Unless you'll be keeping the recordings on DVD-RAM, you should be fine with a 5-pack.

Lately, I've also been using DVD+RW discs, since one of the used EZ28s I bought off of eBay a couple years ago does not recognize DVD-RAM discs. Once you format a RW disc, you can record and easily erase recordings, but there is no editing a recording like with a DVD-RAM disc. On a RW disc, the video file is split into multiple .VOB files, so if you copy to your PC hard drive, you will need video authoring software to join the .VOB files back into one file in order to edit.

Let me know if you have further questions.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    If you do want to edit your recording with DVD authoring software, the video file can be copied to your PC without the disc having to be finalized. The DVD-RAM will have three files in the DVD-RTAV subdirectory. The VR_MOVIE.VRO file is the one to copy to your hard drive. It's an mpg file, so just change the extension from .vro to.mpg. Multiple recordings on a DVD-RAM will all be in one file.
    I used to do a lot of recording on DVD-RAM discs in the mid 2000s. Sometimes what you are suggesting doesn't work.

The VRO file structure is similar to but not the same as an MPG file, and DVD-RAM is almost like an HDD. Recordings on the discs can be fragmented. This could happen if there is a faulty spot on the disc or if all the recordings currently on the DVD-RAM disc are not erased before re-using it for additional recordings

One time I recorded a movie on a well-used DVD-RAM disc. The recording was the only one on the disc. The disc played perfectly using my DVD recorder or with Cyberlink PowerDVD on my computer but all the other software players that I tried failed to play the disk. The only program that could correctly extract the recording and edit it was an old version of Cyberlink PowerDirector bundled with my DVD burner. I am not sure if the latest PowerDirector still works well for problem discs.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I used to do a lot of recording on DVD-RAM discs in the mid 2000s. Sometimes what you are suggesting doesn't work.

The VRO file structure is similar to but not the same as an MPG file, and DVD-RAM is almost like an HDD. Recordings on the discs can be fragmented. This could happen if there is a faulty spot on the disc or if all the recordings currently on the DVD-RAM disc are not erased before re-using it for additional recordings

One time I recorded a movie on a well-used DVD-RAM disc. The recording was the only one on the disc. The disc played perfectly using my DVD recorder or with Cyberlink PowerDVD on my computer but all the other software players that I tried failed to play the disk. The only program that could correctly extract the recording and edit it was an old version of Cyberlink PowerDirector bundled with my DVD burner. I am not sure if the latest PowerDirector still works well for problem discs.
    Interesting. I have never had that happen. I always erase a DVD-RAM disc before recording a new program I want to eventually save, edit, and author to DVD. (I use Nero 2015.) Are you saying you tried to play the file directly from the DVD-RAM disc with the other software players? You shouldn't have to do that. Copy the VR_MOVIE.VRO file to your PC hard disk, rename it with an .mpg extension, and any video player capable of playing .mpg files should be able to play the file.

If you have multiple recordings on the DVD-RAM disc, they will all be in one .VRO file, and you would need to use DVD authoring software to trim the file and save/export the part you want to keep to a new filename. If you don't erase recordings and use the DVD-RAM for additional recordings, you would be limited to the remaining available capacity of the disc.

I did mention in my post that I've found that a DVD-RAM disc will eventually go bad. As with other physical media, if a bad spot develops, there's nothing you can except toss the disc and use a new one.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Interesting. I have never had that happen. I always erase a DVD-RAM disc before recording a new program I want to eventually save, edit, and author to DVD. (I use Nero 2015.) Are you saying you tried to play the file directly from the DVD-RAM disc with the other software players? You shouldn't have to do that. Copy the VR_MOVIE.VRO file to your PC hard disk, rename it with an .mpg extension, and any video player capable of playing .mpg files should be able to play the file.

If you have multiple recordings on the DVD-RAM disc, they will all be in one .VRO file, and you would need to use DVD authoring software to trim the file and save/export the part you want to keep to a new filename. If you don't erase recordings and use the DVD-RAM for additional recordings, you would be limited to the remaining available capacity of the disc.

I did mention in my post that I've found that a DVD-RAM disc will eventually go bad. As with other physical media, if a bad spot develops, there's nothing you can except toss the disc and use a new one.
    This all happened a long time ago, so my memory of those events is less accurate than I'd like. Maybe your questions will be better answered by reading this thread that I started about my problem DVD-RAM discs: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/302242-Problems-copying-VRO-files-from-DVD-RAM-SOLVED%21

Since it's a very old thread, please don't add to it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. usually_quiet, I read the old thread. Sounds like you were using free software? If so, it may have been a case of you get what you paid. After I bought my first Panasonic DMR EZ28 and started to save my recordings, I tried a bunch of free programs, but was never satisfied with the features and performance (or lack thereof). The first DVD authoring software I bought was Nero 7. I upgraded to Nero 2015, which supports authoring Blu-ray discs, and haven't looked back.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet, I read the old thread. Sounds like you were using free software? If so, it may have been a case of you get what you paid. After I bought my first Panasonic DMR EZ28 and started to save my recordings, I tried a bunch of free programs, but was never satisfied with the features and performance (or lack thereof). The first DVD authoring software I bought was Nero 7. I upgraded to Nero 2015, which supports authoring Blu-ray discs, and haven't looked back.
    I used and still use a mix of free and paid software. Don't dis the free stuff. Some of it is wonderful.

However, now that I have an HTPC and use an HDHomerun Prime digital cable tuner instead of a DVD recorder I don't author discs or even burn them very often anymore. I would recommend TMPGEnc Authoring Works for authoring DVD and Blu-ray over Nero. The prevailing opinion on this forum from those who tried Nero is that Nero is not good for much of anything. I'm surprised that you like it.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 2nd Feb 2024 at 21:28.
    Quote Quote