VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, looking for some help, and couldn't find this same question asked. I am using a JVC HR-J692U to digitize old VHS tapes. Today I put a tape in and noticed consistent fuzziness and specks (I'm not sure how else to describe it), in two areas of the screen. I thought it was just a tracking program, so tried another tape, and got something similar, not as bad, but in the same places). Tried another tape, and another, same thing. Figured the VCR was dirty, so used a head cleaner. No change. Tried the head cleaner five times, no change. So then, I took the VCR and cleaned the heads with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. No change. Realized I shouldn't use a q-tip on the drum, so used paper and rubbing alcohol, went over the heads to make sure there weren't any fibres around them. No change. I've noticed they seem to go from top to bottom, and as one spot reaches the top another comes from the bottom. Fairly consistent in area, but some tapes it shows as white specks and static, other just colored specks and general fuzziness. Of course, when I use another VCR I am not getting this. I'm at my wits end as far as what would cause this other than the head being damaged, but then, if this were the case, what would have caused that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Could be the heads are wearing done.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Have you tried adjusting the tracking while playing? On many VCRs you press channel up or down to manually change the tracking. You then press both channel buttons at once to reset to auto-tracking.

Is this tape recorded in 6-hour (EP) mode?
    Quote Quote  
  4. johns0, that is the explanation that makes the most sense to me, although I find it strange that it seemed to happen suddenly. I did transport the VCR in my vehicle beforehand, my partner suggested maybe that would misalign something, I don't know if that's possible.

johnmeyer, I did try that, but I don't have the original remote, so I'm using a universal one and I don't think it works on tracking, nothing seems to happen. Many of the tapes that are doing this are SLP or EP home-made tapes, but I've tried boughten movies and they are doing it as well.

I Should Mention, UPDATE:

When I rewind and fast-forward the tape, I get the same thing, but at a faster rate, which makes me think it's damage to the heads as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A description may decsribe. But a picture, or in your case a video, may replace many words.

What you, in my humble opinion, describe is not typical to tracking issues (which tend to affect horizontal rather than vertical). But not being that technically minded I would suggest that those who are might assist would be better equiped in seeing the effect under motion. So i suggust you record from that vcr by filming the screen with your mobile phone and upload that result to here. The vid need not be very long - 20/30 secs should be ample.

But my gut feeling, as mentioned, is that your video heads are worn or even mis-aligned (from prevous wear) and that it requires more than an basic clean to correct (even if such a service is available now). And if you have a vcr that does not show this issue then use that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If nothing happens at all, then you need to read the manual for your VCR to find out what controls it uses for tracking. Not every VCR uses the channel up/down buttons.

I just repaired two VCRs yesterday. One (Sharp) did indeed have a head clog from a foam "auto cleaning" pad that had disintegrated. Foam dust was all over the place and I had to invent/create a mini vacuum cleaner to pull it all out. I simply removed the auto cleaning unit, cleaned the heads, and it works great now.

The point of relating that story is that this is perhaps the first time the problem was truly dirty heads, and it only happened because of massive shedding from this decomposed foam pad. Dirty heads do happen, but not as often as all the "I cleaned the heads" posts you see in various forums.

The second VCR was an NFF (No Fault Found). It turned out that it was a VCR that was only capable of playing VHS tapes, and would not play S-VHS tapes. All my other VCRs play both, even those which cannot record in that format. What I found is that if you put an S-VHS tape in the machine, you get sound but you get a very unstable picture.

Suggestion: find a blank tape, or one you don't mind recording over, and record 30-60 seconds of material at the SP (fastest) speed. Play that back. Does the picture look OK? If so, the problem could still be alignment, but is probably not clogged heads.

Then, find out how to adjust tracking and, once you are sure you know how to do that, and how to get the tracking back to "auto," change the tracking while playing the other tapes. Does the picture eventually clear up? You should most definitely see a change in the picture when you change the tracking, if not, then you are not actually changing the tracking.

If you suspect that the other tapes might have been recorded in S-VHS mode, try them on an S-VHS deck. The "S" light should come on (or whatever indicator the machine uses).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ThePolaroidMan View Post
    Hi all, looking for some help, and couldn't find this same question asked. I am using a JVC HR-J692U to digitize old VHS tapes. Today I put a tape in and noticed consistent fuzziness and specks (I'm not sure how else to describe it), in two areas of the screen. I thought it was just a tracking program, so tried another tape, and got something similar, not as bad, but in the same places). Tried another tape, and another, same thing. Figured the VCR was dirty, so used a head cleaner. No change. Tried the head cleaner five times, no change. So then, I took the VCR and cleaned the heads with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. No change. Realized I shouldn't use a q-tip on the drum, so used paper and rubbing alcohol, went over the heads to make sure there weren't any fibres around them. No change. I've noticed they seem to go from top to bottom, and as one spot reaches the top another comes from the bottom. Fairly consistent in area, but some tapes it shows as white specks and static, other just colored specks and general fuzziness. Of course, when I use another VCR I am not getting this. I'm at my wits end as far as what would cause this other than the head being damaged, but then, if this were the case, what would have caused that?
    What you describe sound like misaligned guides https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyUY7cFP9zw
    Or dying heads (over used )
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Welp, I intended to post a short video so everyone could see what I was looking at, but it seems that the problem has gone away and everything is fine now! I can't really explain it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably the heads were a touch dirty and got cleaned from playing a few tapes.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    The second VCR was an NFF (No Fault Found). It turned out that it was a VCR that was only capable of playing VHS tapes, and would not play S-VHS tapes. All my other VCRs play both, even those which cannot record in that format. What I found is that if you put an S-VHS tape in the machine, you get sound but you get a very unstable picture.
    The JVC HR-J692U has SQPB.
    Quote Quote