VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Everyone,
    I am new to this forum and have a problem I'd like a solution to.

I have a HikVision DVR and regularly backup videos on to my Flash drive.
    However these videos play only in the player provided with the DVR(Downloaded seperately to the flash drive) OR Media player Classic.
    I tried playing it in VLC and it does play the video, but without audio.
    Providing these to the cops and explaining them how to view them is a headache.

I tried converting them using Handbrake and it didn't work.
    I am attaching a screnshot of the codec information from VLC.

I don't really know how to go ahead and convert them.
    Request your help.

Thanks.

VLC
    [Attachment 68022 - Click to enlarge]

MediaInfo
    [Attachment 68023 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    re: the audio, There are very few players that can handle 8channel AAC, so no surprise there. Unless you have a specific need for surround, it makes more sense to change their settings in the DVR to stereo (2ch) or mono (1ch). Security/surveillance footage rarely would need more than that.

The spec is odd, in that most of the time when encountering HEVC/h265 codec, it is usually in an MP4 container file format, while this is in an MPG one (even if it isn't labelled that).

First thing you could try is to see if it is just the container that is odd here.
    Make a copy, and change the file extension from whatever it is now to "*.MPG". Try testing that.

Next, Using something like ffmpeg (command line too, but there are a few GUIs), or AVIDemux, you could try re-multiplexing the streams (or at least the video stream) into a standard MP4 container, and then attempt to play.

If those don't work, it is more likely that your video stream is encrypted. Most security/surveillance DVRs are. If that is the case, you MUST use your DVR's app to do the conversion. There may be a loss of quality doing this, depending on how it achieves the conversion.

It shouldn't be that much of a headache to explain, as I would expect the cops to be particularly familiar with these kinds of tech hurdles.

BTW, Getting that subtitle stream to render may be an obstacle also.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Cornucopia thanks for the quick response.
    Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, had an event to attend to.

I tried opening the file in AVIDemux but it refuses to open the file.
    Tried using a third party convertor and it did the job converting the files to MP4 x264. However a 0.99GB file is now 2.65GB.
    Tried changing the extension from ".MP4" to".MPG"and it's the same, the video plays without the audio.
    Will check the encoding options againg and tryto change them in the DVR.

I have provided a portable version of MPC-HC.1.9.7.x86 and the DVR player in the flash drive to the cops. However the cops out here are not that technically savvy to understand how to use those. Usually the CCTV footage that they get in matters like mine, they use their phones to record it off the playback screen. Since my videos are longer, they can't do that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can try to use your phone to record a video of the playback from the player provide by Dvr. Or use OBS to screen record the player window (if possible).

Just to make it autentic to the cops.,just bring them a laptop with the Dvr software player installed on it and play the video. So they can see it is autentic. Or ask a lawyer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can try clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Load your file, click main, click encode audio stream, click go to the encoder, set encoder and channels like in the picture, leave all other settings as they are, click encode.

[Attachment 68151 - Click to enlarge]

Then click multiplex, the new created audiostream is shown in green, check it and the videostream, uncheck the original audiostream shown in blue.
    Select mp4 as container and click multiplex.

[Attachment 68152 - Click to enlarge]

Done.
    Try to play the new created mp4 file (in the target folder) with VLC.
    Last edited by ProWo; 15th Dec 2022 at 08:46. Reason: added pictures
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Will try.

Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You can try clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Load your file, click main, click encode audio stream, click go to the encoder, set encoder and channels like in the picture, leave all other settings as they are, click encode.

[Attachment 68151 - Click to enlarge]

Then click multiplex, the new created audiostream is shown in green, check it and the videostream, uncheck the original audiostream shown in blue.
    Select mp4 as container and click multiplex.

[Attachment 68152 - Click to enlarge]

Done.
    Try to play the new created mp4 file (in the target folder) with VLC.
    Quote Quote