VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I'm trying different players like Powerdvd, WMP and VLC but each player the VIDEO_TS differently, e.g. in the first two you can't hear one of the audio tracks, in VLC you can hear it but the names of the audio tracks are wrong etc, this way I can never test the editing work, is it just me who has this problem? Any solution?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    PowerDVD is as close to hardware-player-compliant as you will find in a software player.

WMP was always a quick & dirty player that MS never put much effort into making it full blown, so no surprise there.

VLC is totally reverse-engineered (to avoid licensing, etc), which means that while it is usually very capable, it still has bugs and quirks and doesn't always act like a true hardware player.

If you can't hear one of the tracks in PowerDVD, it is probably because it was meant to be that way (only accessible due to language selection, only when allowed via certain menu option, etc), or because it isn't a totally valid dvd audio format (e.g. mp2 is valid as main audio for PAL DVDs but not for NTSC, DTS is only valid as a supplemental/alternate track).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    PowerDVD is as close to hardware-player-compliant as you will find in a software player.

WMP was always a quick & dirty player that MS never put much effort into making it full blown, so no surprise there.

VLC is totally reverse-engineered (to avoid licensing, etc), which means that while it is usually very capable, it still has bugs and quirks and doesn't always act like a true hardware player.

If you can't hear one of the tracks in PowerDVD, it is probably because it was meant to be that way (only accessible due to language selection, only when allowed via certain menu option, etc), or because it isn't a totally valid dvd audio format (e.g. mp2 is valid as main audio for PAL DVDs but not for NTSC, DTS is only valid as a supplemental/alternate track).

Scott
    The audio file is .ac3 and it worked before with powerdvd but dont play also I change the menu audio
    Should powerdvd be the best?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You should also be opening the VIDEO_TS.IFO file.....not the entire VIDEO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. you guys are right it's not a player problem, I'm continuing the discussion here, can you help me please?
    Quote Quote