VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used mp4 files without a problem, and had problems with other mp4 files with the "No Usable video" error.

The mp4 files that DVD Flick liked had the following codec parameters...

Stream 0
    Codec H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)(avc1)
    Type Video
    Video Resolution: 640x360
    Buffer Dimensions: 640x368
    Frame rate: 30
    Decoded format:
    Orientation: Top Left
    Chroma location: Left

And the mp4 files DVD Flick choked on had this:

Stream 0
    Codec H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)(avc1)
    Type Video
    Video Resolution: 640x360
    Buffer Dimensions: 640x368
    Frame rate: 30
    Decoded format:
    Orientation: Top Left
    Color primaries: ITU-R BT.709
    Color transfer function: ITU-R BT.709
    Color space: ITU-R BT.709 Range
    Chroma location: Left

I discovered that all the mp4 files that got the 'No usable video' error had the BT.709 attributes in it. Every one of them

The solution was to re-code the offending mp4 files using Xmedia recode, a 90 minute file re-coded in 12 minutes, and did not carry over the BT.709 attributes. DVD Flick accepted the re-coded files.

I believe the problem has been found, and there is a solution available.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try remuxing, only changing the colorimetry flags. That will be even faster (seconds rather than minutes) and will not degrade the video.

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-bitstream-filters.html#h264_005fmetadata
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'll give it a try, but could use a little direction, I am not that familiar with ffmpeg, but willing to learn. Could not find "H.264 section E.2.1 and tables E-3, E-4 and E-5".

The three offending lines are:
    Color primaries: ITU-R BT.709
    Color transfer function: ITU-R BT.709
    Color space: ITU-R BT.709 Range

ffmpeg -i inputfile.mp4 {modifiers here} outputfile.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  4. I doubt the colorimetry flags are really the problem. It's more likely there's something in the way the video is muxed -- and whoever did the conversion/muxing also included the bt.709 colorimetry. In any case, the command line for a remux will look like:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "input.mp4" -c copy -bsf:v h264_metadata=colour_primaries=2:transfer_characteristics=2:matrix_coefficients=2 "output.mp4"
    1 means BT.709
    2 means unspecified
    6 means BT.601
    See the ITU h.264 docs for other values
    Quote Quote  
  5. That was perfect! Fast too, instantaneous. And there is table E3 on page 426 (duckduckgo'd 'ITU h.264, found T-REC-H.264-202108-I!!PDF-E.pdf).
    Thank you. Much faster than Xmedia recode.

However, the "no usable video track error" still persists and will not add to project.

The Xmedia recode method can be added to DVD Flick

Maybe it does need to be re-coded.

Almost there... but at least we are not stuck, by using Xmedia recode to fix those unusable video errors.
    Last edited by UConn94; 4th Dec 2022 at 00:38.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just as a test, try a remux with but specifying BT.709 (1). Does the new video still fail with DVD Flick?

Then you'll know for sure whether the problem was the colorimetry or the muxing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I took an mp4 file that DVD Flick liked, and then I used Xmedia recode, changed the "video Usability Information" Color Primaries, Matrix coefficients, and Transfer Characteristices set to BT.709. Encode.

Results:
    1. Played new file in VLC, it played fine. Codec does show BT.709.
    2. The file fails with DVD Flick, got the "No usable video track"

So, this exercise proves BT.709 does not work with DVD Flick

I am new to ffmpeg, so I would not know what the syntax is to remux in ffmpeg, the remux command line would be useful for all that are hitting this problem and not rely on Xmedia recode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm really surprised that the colorimetry flags are the cause of the problem. Most programs don't pay any attention to them.
    Quote Quote