VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

What do people use nowadays to record TV programmes, use a Panasonic recorder, is there better models ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What kind of TV programing, OTA, Satellite, Streaming ...?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    What kind of TV programing, OTA, Satellite, Streaming ...?

From The TV , ie Freeview.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You can't record from TV, You need a DVR with OTA tuner, Satellite tuner or streaming box, For protected contents you may need to capture the HDMI output using a HDMI HDCP stripper. HDCP stripping is allowed in some countries for personal recording and prohibited in other countries, proceed with caution.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can't record from TV, You need a DVR with OTA tuner, Satellite tuner or streaming box, For protected contents you may need to capture the HDMI output using a HDMI HDCP stripper. HDCP stripping is allowed in some countries for personal recording and prohibited in other countries, proceed with caution.

I have had a DVR for years, just wondered what people are using.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the DVB-T and ATSC age, most people turned towards their playback device of choice.

If that is an over the Air tuner, they would often have a USB port for capturing a program in its digital form (h.264 or MPEG2-TS) direct to a thumbdrive or external hard drive.

After the age of true "Analog TV" signals, once they went to digital.. the quality of the signal was baked into the digital file that was captured.. so you could never get a higher quality than what was purchased off Blu-ray or a streaming provider. So content protection wasn't as big of an issue.. unless it was a sporting event.

Its not that the content protection mechanisms aren't there.. its just that they are either left on all the time in a "deadman switch" position.. or discarded completely.. Gen-Z people manning the controls at the "content providers" are kind of clueless these days.

HD Strippers are a thing.. and kind of "amusing".. in that they were pursued for a time.. but today most anything Silicon Motion doesn't bother with hdcp.. its too cheap and gets flung around china like popcorn. For high resolution HDMI signals the protections are higher.. but also the data rates for 8K or more are so high that no one really bothers unless your a theater.

Waving away all the buzz-word bingo and technicalities.. you can find a few over the air tuners with a USB port that lets you insert a flash drive to capture a few shows while your watching them. The "time shifting" EPG, electronic program guide era is mostly over.. so timed recordings are mostly an inconvenient thing of the past. If you miss a show or want to find a copy on streaming you turn first to IMDB and find a source.. or find it out of print and have to turn to ebay or some physical media house.

Doing it the old way.. which used to look simple.. its actually harder today, because of all the easier options available today.

If you want simple as in "don't make my head hurt".. then you get a legacy cable provider or a dish satellite provider which also bundles a proprietary DVR in their sat or cable box.

.. and in the States (USA at least) .. Tivo is still chugging along and Series 2 Tivos still have an EPG and still burn DVDs .. don't laugh.. I have a couple.
    Last edited by jwillis84; 3rd Dec 2022 at 08:25.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What do people use nowadays to record TV programmes
    From both Satellite DVB-S and Terrestrial DVB-T, Vu Plus devices with custom images (BlachHole, OpenATV, etc.)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use a US-model Silicondust TV tuner, a PC, and NextPVR software for recording TV. Silicondust also makes a TV tuner for DVB-T/DVB-T2 that is capable of providing up to 4 channels at once to watch or record: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Quatro-4xDVB-T-Tuners/dp/B0BDYP7HFH/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Dec 2022 at 11:31.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use android box zidoo z10 pro

from hdmi in

and Navceker HDMI Splitter, external SSD format to linux partition and 2 good hdmi cable same brand

all this and it only record at 2 chanel audio and 1080p video
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hauppauge "WinTV_dualHD" USB TV Tuner and Hauppauge WinTV 10 software (for a computer).
    Last edited by Alwyn; 3rd Dec 2022 at 18:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the country - perfectly legal in Australia - Beyonwiz basically an Enigma2 clone and others. You can record, time shift, transfer to a PC and edit out commercials if any etc. Much the same as Europe. I can record 3 muxes on my ole T3 that could mean 12 separate stations all at once. Free to air is not protected here. Been like this ever since digital TV started way back in Topfield days. Here is the VuPlus Duo 4k PVR, available with either DVB off air tuners or satellite or one of each. Here's the specs https://www.deschotelshop.nl/en/vu-plus-duo-4k-se-linux-receiver
    Image Attached Images  
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Depends on the country - perfectly legal in Australia - Beyonwiz basically an Enigma2 clone and others. You can record, time shift, transfer to a PC and edit out commercials if any etc. Much the same as Europe. I can record 3 muxes on my ole T3 that could mean 12 separate stations all at once. Free to air is not protected here. Been like this ever since digital TV started way back in Topfield days. Here is the VuPlus Duo 4k PVR, available with either DVB off air tuners or satellite or one of each. Here's the specs https://www.deschotelshop.nl/en/vu-plus-duo-4k-se-linux-receiver
    What delsam34 meant is that it isn't possible to make video recordings from any of a TV's connections. This is certainly true if someone wants portable recordings. Although some TVs made for use outside N. America have the ability to record to a USB stick inserted in one of their USB ports, such recordings are encrypted and can only be viewed using the individual TV that made them. Also, assuming the TV has only one tuner, it isn't possible to watch one channel while recording another.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Dec 2022 at 20:36. Reason: clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  13. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What delsam34 meant is that it isn't possible to make video recordings from any of a TV's connections. This is certainly true if someone wants portable recordings. Although some TVs made for use outside N. America have the ability to record to a USB stick inserted in one of their USB ports, such recordings are encrypted and can only be viewed using the individual TV that made them
    There are exceptions. The firmware of (some) Samsung Smart TVs can be modified to get access to the encryption keys or to record without encryption on the USB disk or pen drive, for both DVB-S and DVB-T. https://forum.samygo.tv/

The problem is that for cripted channels requiring a CAM + SmartCard, some comination of the last two does not allow the "dumping" of all audio streams, but only the one selected. That's why a set top box solution is preferred.

For PAY TV providers for which the Smart Card is associated to the receiver, the dumping of the DVB stream is not possible with any hardware. Solutions exist also there, but they are not legal.

Here is the VuPlus Duo 4k PVR
    That's one of mine, wonderful machine. It is a shame that Vu+ has discontinued all cooperation and support to the BlackHole Team, and they stopped the non OpenBH releases. Things may change in the future, we hope.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My SONY can record to an USB drive but will only playback on the same device, better than nothing if the Beyonwiz should fail and as usually_quiet
    said most TV's only have one tuner.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Here is the VuPlus Duo 4k PVR
    That's one of mine, wonderful machine. It is a shame that Vu+ has discontinued all cooperation and support to the BlackHole Team, and they stopped the non OpenBH releases. Things may change in the future, we hope.
    I bought a vacation house in North Africa, So I will be going there more often, It's about 90 miles from the Mediterranean sea so I'm still under some European satellites footprints, I will be asking about how to get one of these boxes up and running, It has been years since I fiddled with a FTA satellite receiver, I remember having the Aston Xena digital sat receiver with Diseqc for dish motor control when I use to live there, Those were the fun days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For home cable-tv recording I use an older model Humax DVR. Eventhough it doesn't support 4K and gigabit ethernet speed, the device is still widely used. It has a slot for a decrypting card, two tuners and a 500GB harddisk. It does lack a burning optical disc drive, but the built-in FTP server makes it possibly more convenient. Where recorded, decrypted streams can be copied to pc via ethernet by a mouseclick.
    Area where I live, glassfiber is being rolled out now and will become available shortly. Which is interesting, but I will have to check on what options/restraints the subscriptions will bring. If there'd be no DVR that can somehow spit out decrypted "fiber-tv" recordings, I'm staying with cable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In general…. look for a HDMI passthrough device, and use any HDMI recorder or HDMI capture card, do not use a HDMI USB dongle, the china ones have different issues, i expirienced…

btw. tv's that record to usb drives, have their own file system, so that's also a no go using a tv to get video from, recordings that are over date can't b decrypted also on top of that, other options than HDMI need "special care" depending on that device, and you should google for that, if such an "break through" has been made.
    be carefull most googled results will provide you also with malware and such… or requests to switch off security settings, (better don't)
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 11th Dec 2022 at 07:06.
    Quote Quote