VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have Windows 7 netbook and recently getting this message at top every time I start Google Chrome browser. I can X the message out, but it re-appears every time I start the browser.
    Message: "To get future Google Chrome updates, you'll need Windows 10 or later. This computer is using Windows 7."
    I could use a different browser, but I'm used to Google Chrome. The latest Firefox browser is much slower.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	67915  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That popup may be annoying but what it's saying is that Google isn't supporting a version that works on Windows 7 anymore. Which sounds a lot worse to me.

If you don't like regular Firefox you could try Firefox ESR, which is an older version that still gets security updates. It's my favorite, I don't like what they did to it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Just switch to Vivaldi or to Opera, problem solved.

(For now, at least.)

Both are better clones of Chromium than Google's Chrome, granted.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just go back to the last 107.x version, 107.0.5304.122:
    32 Bit HERE or 64 Bit HERE
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have been using Chrome on the Windows 7 computer. I got the same message. Thankfully I recently bought a mini desktop recently with Windows 11 and so far it is working terrific. With Chrome introducing that "look for a better price" when you do your shopping they put in the latest install I feel it is time for me to stop using it.

I like Waterfox Classic and the new Waterfox as Browsers. I like Firefox as well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mike20021969...But if those old versions of Chrome phone home then you will get a message. I have a old version of Chrome working on a old Android tablet and I constantly get messages that "You are using an old version of Chrome and need to update" Then when I try to update I get this message: "You are using an old operating system", so nothing happens and it will not update. Just a round robin over and over.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 1st Dec 2022 at 15:19.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    But if those old versions of Chrome phone home then you will get a message.
    Possibly but only time will tell, and the Android version may be different story entirely.

Personally, I use v47.x on XP & don't get any message.
    Version 48.x & 49.x did give me a message. I believe you only get a message on versions that give the message which is why I rolled back to 47.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you for the responses, especially about the other versions of Google Chrome. However, I found a workaround. The message only appears on the first instance of Chrome. So I just have one dummy instance of Chrome open (but minimized) and all other instances don't have the message.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Just go back to the last 107.x version, 107.0.5304.122:
    32 Bit HERE or 64 Bit HERE
    Suggesting a deprecated version of a browser is just about the most ridiculous computer advice there is. It's just asking to get hacked. Begging for it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    It's just asking to get hacked. Begging for it.
    That's just scaremongering talk. There's no more chance of getting hacked with 107 compared to 108.

I still use Firefox 52 as my main browser. I've NEVER EVER had any issues regarding hacking or data thefts.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anything in Chrome Flags? (chrome://flags)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might also try one of the Chromium builds from https://chromium.woolyss.com/
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    UPDATE:

{{
    source: manolito @ forum . doom9 . org
    }}

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome]
    "SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning"=dword:00000001
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  14. Code:
    Thank you that worked. Except that I put a space between line 1 and line 2. I don't know if that makes any difference, though.
    Code:

EDIT: Clarification: Copy and paste above text (the three lines) into a new notepad file with any name, like warningfix.txt.
    Then change the file extension (txt) to reg, (warningfix.reg) and then double click on the reg file to enter the text into the registry. That should fix the problem, ie, eliminate the warning message when you start Google Chrome.
    Last edited by jimdagys; 28th Apr 2023 at 14:40.
    Quote Quote