VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm interested in the experiences of people using non-AVISynth deinterlacers such as those in Handbrake, AVIDemux and other GUIs.

If you have any experiences you'd like to share, I'm keen to hear them.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. BWDIF in ffmpeg (some GUI front ends should make it available) is about the best. Yadif, implemented in many programs falls after that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have only tried GUI deinterlacers outside of AVISynth when I was using VirtualDubMod, and Handbrake many years ago. I honestly thought both did a mediocre job of it, and I never went back after using AVISynth ones.

I don't really have any good suggestions outside of avisynth or vapoursynth, but maybe try the one Jagabo stated. I never tried it before.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The best one in handbrake is EEDI2 , it's similar to avisynth's yadifmod+EEDI2 - ie. slow processing speed but better than yadif or bob in terms of jaggies/ aliasing artifacts .

Avidemux doesn't have very good ones

I think some GUI's like staxrip and hybrid offer some avisynth/vapoursynth deinterlacing options and you don't have to touch any backend code or scripts

Each deinterlacer has various pros/cons and might be better suited (or not) for some situations
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone, for your input.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    non-AVISynth deinterlacers
    Most of them are AviSynth deinterlacers, inside a GUI (or ffmpeg)
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can also try clever FFmpeg-GUI, newest beta (v3.0.5.03), with which you can now choose between two deinterlacers (bwdif, yadif), with all options (with appropriate help).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ProWo, thanks for that, but I can't find the deinterlace option in 3.05.03. I do have my glasses on!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    @ProWo, thanks for that, but I can't find the deinterlace option in 3.05.03. I do have my glasses on!
    Load an interlaced video, main, encode videostream, crop/resize/keep resolution, deinterlace.
    With progressive video it's hidden.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Found it! Thanks! Sorry to be a nuisance: doesn't appear to be an output container option, it encodes as an MKV. The "Multiplex" menu has MP4 or MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Found it! Thanks! Sorry to be a nuisance: doesn't appear to be an output container option, it encodes as an MKV. The "Multiplex" menu has MP4 or MKV.
    After encoding remux it with audio and subs to mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rojer, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    non-AVISynth deinterlacers
    Most of them are AviSynth deinterlacers, inside a GUI (or ffmpeg)
    selur's Hybrid
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. AI based deinterlacer perhaps ? (i haven't tried)

https://www.pixop.com/blog/using-ai-to-deinterlace
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  15. AI based deinterlacer perhaps ?
    Too much work for something that could be solved with using a really advanced script called NNEDI3_rpow2
    Quote Quote  
  16. Doesn't nnedi3 count as ai nowadays? (nnedi3 = neural network edge directed interpolation version 3)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  17. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Too much work for something that could be solved with using a really advanced script called NNEDI3_rpow2
    NNEDI3_rpow2 is not a deinterlacer, but an upscaler for progressive video.

NNEDI3 is an intra-field only deinterlacer. I use it only for material where I interlace back at the end (discharge of created frame). For real deinterlacing, QTCMG is superior.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't nnedi3 count as ai nowadays? (nnedi3 = neural network edge directed interpolation version 3)
    A neural network is not exactly AI (sort of precursor)
    Quote Quote  
  19. A neural network is not exactly AI (sort of precursor)
    oh, I thought neural networks nowadays also run under ai,... (seems like artificial intelligence, machine learning, deep learning and neural networks all are titled 'ai' nowadays )
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  20. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    oh, I thought neural networks nowadays also run under ai
    Maybe. I did my PHd on Neural Network implementing "back-propagation" algorithms many year ago. And AI was not involved. Things may have changed today, in the sense that under AI "cover" we also include self learning neural network such as what I mentioned
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    I did my PHd on Neural Network implementing "back-propagation" algorithms many year ago.
    Well, I'm impressed.

Things may have changed today
    The main change is that the term was bastardized, raped, by marketing depts. Everything is "AI" now. Or "cloud". The terms lost their gatekeepers, and now mean almost nothing.

- "cloud" means online.
    - "AI" means software that generates data, and uses that data to create more data.

And a few loose terms like "TBC", and it becomes pure technobabble used by lemmings and idiots that want to sound smart about something they know NOTHING about.

My toaster has AI cloud with TBC?

Applied lateral synergy, or something. Blah blah blah.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  22. Re. non-AviSynth deinterlacers: Nvidia graphic cards support their own GPU deinterlacing (single rate, double rate).
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    NNEDI3 is an intra-field only deinterlacer. I use it only for material where I interlace back at the end (discharge of created frame). For real deinterlacing, QTCMG is superior.
    Isn't QTGMC NOT a deinterlacer per se - it cannot be ported as a single product or made into, say, a VDub filter - but a script that uses a bunch of other scripts and DLLs, some of which are actual deinterlacers, scalers and noise-reducers? In particular, I believe it uses NNEDI3 in one of its presets. Actually, I think it has started as a wrapper around NNEDI3.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't QTGMC NOT a deinterlacer per se - it cannot be ported as a single product or made into, say, a VDub filter - but a script that uses a bunch of other scripts and DLLs, some of which are actual deinterlacers, scalers and noise-reducers? In particular, I believe it uses NNEDI3 in one of its presets. Actually, I think it has started as a wrapper around NNEDI3.
    No. QTGMC is a deinterlacer, based on old TempGaussMC. It uses many other filters to do at best its (primary) job.
    Quote Quote