VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am wanting to use StaxRip for the QTMPG deinterlacing as it seems to be the best. I have a ADVC-100 in which I import the VHS footage. I can load the DV-AVI files into Virtualdub2 but staxRip will not load it.

I exported the file with VD2 to an uncompressed RAW footage. MediaInfo no longer shows it as interlaced. How can you tell if I lost all interlaced footage or that StaxRip sees it as interlaced and is working? How do I get StaxRip to load DV footage?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been exporting the files from VirtualDub2 and I noticed the Aspect ratio changes from 4:3 to 3:2 when saved as uncompressed video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. AVI doesn't really support aspect ratio settings. It's up to you to keep track of the display or sample aspect ratio. Some codecs used in AVI keep internal aspect ratio settings (DV for example) but programs have to know how to access those properties. AVI also doesn't really support an interlaced setting. Again, it's up to you to keep track of that if you're using AVI.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been testing the DV footage with QTGMC and MSU Deinterlace and the original footage is bad enough you cannot tell a difference between the two. Same detail, same edges etc. Viewing side by side frame at time. I think the lower quality of VHS footage doesn't provide enough quality to notice the advantage of QTGMC. I did see that MSU produced better results than Yadif. Since StaxRip cannot load DV files, I will stick with VirtualDub and MSU.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If you have sharp near-horizontal edges in a VHS recording the difference between QTGMC and other deinterlacers will be immediately obvious as aliased, buzzing edges. If the underlying video (VHS or otherwise) isn't very sharp you may not see those problems.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think the lower quality of VHS footage doesn't provide enough quality to notice the advantage of QTGMC.
    It does.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The samples I am working with, I just realized QTGMC and MSU cause horizontal shaking. Subtle but annoying. Switched to just the JFSDR Deinterlace for VD2 and used Blend Fields Trilinear and the footage is smooth. Not sure why QTGMC causes the shaking.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you use AviSynth to have full control of QTGMC parameters instead of a useless GUI?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Is StaxRip using Avisynth to load DVavi? Then you might need to have DV codec instaled, like free Cedocida DV codec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Is StaxRip using Avisynth to load DVavi? Then you might need to have DV codec instaled, like free Cedocida DV codec.
    I do have that codec installed.

Lannie
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DV avi can be opened if you set the source to FFVideosource
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	open_dv.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	67891  

Last edited by davexnet; 28th Nov 2022 at 17:21. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  12. Or, since you have CedoCida installed, use AVISource.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    DV avi can be opened if you set the source to FFVideosource
    That as it! I added AVI and DirectShow and it loads the files fine. I appreciate the advice!

Lannie
    Quote Quote  
  14. DirectShowSource() isn't frame accurate with inter-frame codecs. It should be OK with DV since that's intra-frame only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have tested several VHS imports and I notice when I use Staxrip QTGMC to deinterlace I get slight shaking in vertical lines. If I use the JDSR deinterlace in Virtualdub the picture is rock solid. This produces 29fps and Staxrip produces 60fps.

Am I doing something wrong with QTGMC?
    Quote Quote  
  16. What's "JDSR deinterlace"? Do you have a link?

Shaking in vertical lines? Are you sure you don't mean horizontal lines? If you use QTGMC in single rate mode (FpsDivisor=2) it will probably be rock solid too. But you may be missing half the temporal resolution of your source. There may be other ways of reducing the shaking in QTGMC. Can you provide a sample of your source? And the settings you're using?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    What's "JDSR deinterlace"? Do you have a link?

Shaking in vertical lines? Are you sure you don't mean horizontal lines? If you use QTGMC in single rate mode (FpsDivisor=2) it will probably be rock solid too. But you may be missing half the temporal resolution of your source. There may be other ways of reducing the shaking in QTGMC. Can you provide a sample of your source? And the settings you're using?
    Sorry, didnt mean vertical lines but vertical object in the video. I have a clip with cupboard doors in the background. When using QTGMC the vertical portion of the doors shakes. If I use the built in deinterlace for VD with yadif or Bob is shakes. If I use BLEND it is super smooth with no shake at all. Was trying to use QTGMC because everyone speaks highly of it. Let me see if I can attach a sample clip.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm guessing "JDSR" is probably JPSDR

https://github.com/jpsdr/Filtres_JPSDR
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by LSchafroth View Post
    I have a clip with cupboard doors in the background. When using QTGMC the vertical portion of the doors shakes.
    Something like this?

[Attachment 68015 - Click to enlarge]

That would be unusual. It would indicate an error where one field of the video is shifted to the side. In which case QTGMC is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by LSchafroth View Post
    I have a clip with cupboard doors in the background. When using QTGMC the vertical portion of the doors shakes.
    Something like this?

[Attachment 68015 - Click to enlarge]

That would be unusual. It would indicate an error where one field of the video is shifted to the side. In which case QTGMC is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
    I tested a better Hi8 capture via the ADVC-100 and QTGMC works like a charm. The clip I was testing was from a pretty old VHS tape. The only deinterlace that looks good is the built in filter with blend and double frame rate. I wonder if the quality is so bad, QTGMC doesnt have much to work with. I'll put together two clips showing the difference and a clip showing the QTGMC results on the better quality Hi8 capture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The issue with QTGMC was solved by changing it from Slower to FAST and providing a better-quality capture. I used a better S-VHS VCR with S-Video instead of composite. The video quality was bad enough that the standard Blend looked good. I think the more advanced deinterlace filters didnt have much to work with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hijacking my own thread. Does anyone know how to add nnedi3x_rpow2 to StaxRip? All my searches show it is included but I do not see it anywhere when clicking on add filter.
    I see other upscale options but from what I have read the nnedi3x_rpow2 is the best overall. SuperResolution works OK in Virtualdub2 but I want the best results.

SuperRes in StaxRip produced decent results. Should I stick with that?
    Quote Quote  
  23. I don't use StaxRip but I see it in ...StaxRip\Apps\Plugins\AVS\Scripts\nnedi3x.avsi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I got it. I added a Misc Prefetch filter and was able to add the nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2, nsize=0, nns=4, cshift="Spline36Resize") options under there. That is my first test anyway.
    Quote Quote