VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have taken a screenshot on my cellphone.

ffprobe tells me the image format is jpeg and the pixel format is mjpeg. i want to convert the image to tiff. however ffmpeg complains that the pixel format is deprecated.

what is the problem?

cellphone is huawei p30 lite. ffmpeg is on termux. on the cellphone. ffmpeg is no more than 2 months old.

ffprobe output is atteched
    ffmpeg output is attached

ty
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by oduodui; 26th Nov 2022 at 09:09.
    Quote Quote  
  2. no problem if it works, or if the conversion is done correctly - it's usually just a warning message

most jpeg images are stored as full range YUV as Rec601, but most decoders output RGB. FFmpeg outputs the actual pixel format

Is just that yuvj420p ("j" formats) used to indicate full range YUV (also yuvj422p, yuvj444p for 422 sampling, and no subsampling); but they might be changing to another method to denote "full range YUV" in the future
    Quote Quote  
  3. much appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  4. What is the usage case / reason for converting to TIFF ? The log says it's being converted to yuv420p - but some programs might not be expecting that or compatible be with that (yuv420p TIFF; most expect RGB) . If it's libavcodec/ffmpeg based, it shouldn't be a problem, I'm referring to other programs
    Quote Quote