VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any translation offline program you would recommend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    (which) Languages?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Portuguese, English and Spanish,
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why not just use Google translate and cross check accuracy by doing round trips?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is the limited number of lines Google will translate.

I have been doing subtitles for TV series and films for some time, and like most people doing it now I'm using automatic translation as the basis for the final translation.

Using you may require about 10 parts to translate separately, as all translator now seem to work online, charging by each job.

So I would prefer to get a program I can use as much as I want.

Is there such a program?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you looked at the Subtitle Edit auto translate? For it to work properly you have to pay google for an API key
    https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/help#translation
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    The problem is the limited number of lines Google will translate.
    Google will easily translate multiple page documents.
    https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=fr&op=docs

As an experiment, I translated "Pride and Prejudice" from English to French. 267 pages. Took less than two minutes.
    Last edited by smrpix; 29th Nov 2022 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to translate a subtitles file, in pdf, and the results were terrible. Half of the total dialogue appeared as question marks: ???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...I'm confused. Why would subtitles be in a PDF file format?

It's probably more due to incompatibilities with the PDF format than anything else. Are you sure the PDF isn't protected?
    (Hmm. Google Translate's help also states this:
    You can translate documents up to 10 MB in any of these formats: .docx, .pdf, .pptx, .xlsx. PDF files must be 300 pages or less.
    To translate more documents or larger documents, learn about the Cloud Translation API.

Important:

Document translation isn’t available on smaller screens or mobile.
    You can find text in images and scanned .pdf pages in the output document but they aren’t translated.
    )

If possible, try opening the PDF in something that'll allow you to export it to a different file/document format, and see if Google Translate has the same problem with the exported version.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  11. What is your original source? If your subtitles are heavily formatted or started as xml references to pgs as in many Blu Rays, you shouldn't expect it to work. Translation requires text.
    Last edited by smrpix; 4th Dec 2022 at 10:06.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    ...I'm confused. Why would subtitles be in a PDF file format?

It's probably more due to incompatibilities with the PDF format than anything else. Are you sure the PDF isn't protected?
    You can translate documents up to 10 MB in any of these formats: .docx, .pdf, .pptx, .xlsx. PDF files must be 300 pages or less.
    To translate more documents or larger documents, learn about the Cloud Translation API.

Important:

You can find text in images and scanned .pdf pages in the output document but they aren’t translated.
    )

Of course they shouldn't. First I tried to use the .txt file I made from the .srt file. But text files can't exceed 5000 characters. So you have to import it as a document, and as you can see the options are limited. No .txt for instance. I couldn't convert the txt file do .docx either, so I tried with pdf.

Translate documents

You can translate documents up to 10 MB in any of these formats: .docx, .pdf, .pptx, .xlsx. PDF files must be 300 pages or less. To translate more documents or larger documents, learn about the Cloud Translation API

If possible, try opening the PDF in something that'll allow you to export it to a different file/document format, and see if Google Translate has the same problem with the exported version.
    How did you do to translate the 267 pages book?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=carlmart;2674539][QUOTE=Ai Haibara;2674482]...I'm confused. Why would subtitles be in a PDF file format?

Important:

)

Of course they shouldn't. First I tried to use the .txt file I made from the .srt file. But text files can't exceed 5000 characters. So you have to import it as a document, and as you can see the options are limited. No .txt for instance. I couldn't convert the txt file do .docx either, so I tried with pdf.

Translate documents

You can translate documents up to 10 MB in any of these formats: .docx, .pdf, .pptx, .xlsx. PDF files must be 300 pages or less. To translate more documents or larger documents, learn about the Cloud Translation API

Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    I downloaded it from Project Gutenberg as a text file. Opened and saved it in Word as a docx. Uploaded that into the Google Translate web page and then downloaded the result.

(Before doing that I tried it with some short .srt files -- saving them as .docx, uploading to Google and translating. It worked fine. But that didn't seem like a heavy enough test to allay your concern about document size.)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Word can't save as docx.

I tried another program that made that conversion, but it didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Argos translate and librettranslate I’ve used offline. Results aren’t as good as deepl for instance though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    My Word can't save as docx.

I tried another program that made that conversion, but it didn't work.
    ?? If this is true you are using a version that is 19 years old or older. All versions on all platforms since "2007" (which came out in 2006, and the previous version came out in 2003) use docx as their default format.
    Well past time to upgrade. Or use Google docs, or libroffice, etc. Many options, almost all of which support docx.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using Office 2011 put me back into the game.

Saving in docx and translating fine.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlrandall72 View Post
    I've tried a few offline translation programs in the past. For simple translations, I've had decent luck with Google Translate's offline mode, but for more complex or professional tasks, I tend to gravitate toward online services.

Specifically, for accurate translation, I've been using services from Transperfect. I must say, out of all the services I've tried, they offer the quickest translations and they've been the most accurate. I mainly use them for my translation"]document translations[/URL]. On their site you can find more information.
    It would be too expensive to use such services. Google Translate does the job quite well, getting right about 95% of the right words, not matter the language.

A life saver for my application, which is subtitles translation.

In many cases, like on documentaries, I'm mating it with Subtitle Edit, to convert audio dialogues into text, and then translating.

Depending on the translation importance, I correct the translation errors myself.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 10th Feb 2024 at 23:32.
    Quote Quote