VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, have a HP 8300 elite,have two separate HDDs not installed at the same time, Win 10 SSD, came with computer and a small Linux Ubuntu The Win 10 SSD was not installed during this issue,only the Linux HDD.

Will try to be as brief and clear as possible however, I am going to leave what i think are distractions out.

Put an additional 3.5 HDD into a HP 8300 elite), could not access BIOS (problem with old keyboard connectors to usb connector) Got message" non system disc disc error replace, ect

Same message with a 2.5 HDD changed keyboard was able to access BIOS

Tested linux HDD booted to login screen

Tested trying to install O/S on both 3.5 and 2.5 HDDs (no good, possible my mistake in boot order, this computer has two types, EFI an legacy system)

Tested linux again would not boot

Windows repairing dialog box appeared, started running repair asking for a recovery disc and original disc (I do not have)

I have sent away for SATA power cable and SATA data cable, am buying a new CMOS battery.

Issue is the linux 3.5 on the computer will not boot , my settings are to boot from Drive, under Legacy sources, save changes and exit. Does not boot, when the computer turned off and on again. Boot order has changed! from Drive , legacy sources to EFI sources
    Am I doing something wrong or messed up some settings with the testing?
    Have not got a clue where to start, so this is a bit by bit examination,Sherlock Holmes,. what to do. Any help welcomed, as long as any consequences of changing things explained, thanks
    If I can get the BIOS working and booting the Linux thats a start. I wont put the Win 10 SSD into the computer until I am getting a response from the computer.
    Will supply pics of boot selection and changes, dialog messages if required.
    Thanks
    Health IS the first Wealth------So do not strain your eyes!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update to issue; in BIOS under STORAGE, = Device Configuration, it has the first HDD info listed this HDD may have caused the initial problem,This HDD was removed and taken back to the shop i bought it in for a refund.

Under = DPS Self Test, it has the same HDD info listed! dont know what a DPS self test is or what will happen if i try to test to a non existant drive. Have the small 80gb Ubuntu drive installed now.

The returnedH DD info should not be there, hopefully an easy BIOS fix ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried setting the BIOS back to defaults (once you get the hardware attached that you want to test with)
    On some PC's you can press a key before the POST that will give a menu where you can choose the boot device.

See this for Uefi, Bios, Gpt & Mbr issues:
    https://fossbytes.com/uefi-bios-gpt-mbr-whats-difference/
    Last edited by davexnet; 24th Nov 2022 at 20:03.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by visionman View Post
    Hi guys, have a HP 8300 elite,have two separate HDDs not installed at the same time, Win 10 SSD, came with computer and a small Linux Ubuntu The Win 10 SSD was not installed during this issue,only the Linux HDD.

Will try to be as brief and clear as possible however, I am going to leave what i think are distractions out.

Put an additional 3.5 HDD into a HP 8300 elite), could not access BIOS (problem with old keyboard connectors to usb connector) Got message" non system disc disc error replace, ect

Same message with a 2.5 HDD changed keyboard was able to access BIOS

Tested linux HDD booted to login screen

Tested trying to install O/S on both 3.5 and 2.5 HDDs (no good, possible my mistake in boot order, this computer has two types, EFI an legacy system)

Tested linux again would not boot

Windows repairing dialog box appeared, started running repair asking for a recovery disc and original disc (I do not have)

I have sent away for SATA power cable and SATA data cable, am buying a new CMOS battery.

Issue is the linux 3.5 on the computer will not boot , my settings are to boot from Drive, under Legacy sources, save changes and exit. Does not boot, when the computer turned off and on again. Boot order has changed! from Drive , legacy sources to EFI sources
    Am I doing something wrong or messed up some settings with the testing?
    Have not got a clue where to start, so this is a bit by bit examination,Sherlock Holmes,. what to do. Any help welcomed, as long as any consequences of changing things explained, thanks
    If I can get the BIOS working and booting the Linux thats a start. I wont put the Win 10 SSD into the computer until I am getting a response from the computer.
    Will supply pics of boot selection and changes, dialog messages if required.
    Thanks
    1. Check if your Hard Disk is Connected Properly
    2. Correcting the Boot Order - https://www.techinpost.com/non-system-disk-or-disk-error-replace-and-strike-any-key-when-ready/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi davexnet, thanks I will set the BIOS back to defaults to morrow, and will post tomorrow evening Going to library to get a PC maintenance book tomorrow. If you read the first post i was testing this, and that, without a clue, hoping for something to show me where to look in order to post a specific problem . Just did not think of doing a systematic procedure to check what was now connected , or even if the other HDDs were being detected, nothing appeared to indicate it was locked into the very first HDD. Thanks for the BIOS link interesting overview, needed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi october262, thanks, I already have that link for fixing the Non system disc, but thanks all the same. the HDD connection is sound. I am going to have to let this one go, too many problems associated with the BIOS configurations.
    Have decided to reinstall Ubuntu onto a small HDD to get rid of this error message at startup. Both the HDDs, linked into this computer (1) windows 10 SSD and (2) Ubuntu 20.04 HDD had very little data on them only a few Word documents. Will have to reinstall the Ubuntu, and a possible loss of the Win 10 O/S. Have not tried to install the SSD yet. Anyway, many thanks to you both for your input. Dont be surprised if you see my post "how to get,install Win 10" IF, the Win 10 has gone. All the very best, Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also have Win 10 and Linux on my PC with 2 HDD's. I set it up a little differently, I put the respective partitions
    both on disk "a" (which also contains the Win 10 boot loader and is the default boot device)
    I placed the Linux boot loader (Grub) on HDD "b" which otherwise cotains purely data.

I like it like this; I boot Linux rarely - I can either enter the Bios and switch the default boot device,
    or on my PC, I can hit the F11 key just before POST and choose the device from a menu.

Purely legacy BIOS/MBR, no UEFI/GPT nonsense
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nice one, davexnet everything is working again. The Windows 10 booted up after i checked what drive was recognised and configured the SSD . Then into boot order, Legacy , then Hard Drive Boot , save and exit = booted. Before installing i reinstalled another Ubuntu O/S onto a small drive, but the original small HDD with Ubuntu on, only returned a blank screen with a blinking cursor, but i think i know why this occurred and had nothing to do with the BIOS defaults being changed. Many thanks to both. Cheers
    Quote Quote