VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I'd like to hear your opinion regarding what's a decent device for Hi8 tape archiving. I'd like to take a shot at direct RF digitizing and software decoding, so the quality of the analog video part after the video head is not all that important. I have a Sony DCR-TRV238E PAL camera to play with (won't be using the DV function though, the primary focus is on analog Hi8), but is it worth getting a standalone Hi8 deck (like a Sony EV-C500E), since they are rare and cost an arm and a leg, even if sold as "defective"? Besides the easier accessibility to fiddle around with, are there any significant qualitative differences in terms of heads and signal quality to justify using such a player instead of a cam for playback?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not worth it unless your cam doesn't work,only reason they were made so they could stay plugged in your tv and you can watch any tape you want.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are services that can digitize your tapes. I have had many types of tapes digitized. It saves a lot time. I keep them on an external hard drive or burn them to a DVD.
    Last edited by Santiago; 15th Nov 2022 at 17:15.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Not worth it unless your cam doesn't work,only reason they were made so they could stay plugged in your tv and you can watch any tape you want.
    I thought so too, but thanks for confirming that I can save the money ...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    In addition to what John said, because they were go to players for playback camcorder tapes and recording TV shows they were heavily used like VHS machines, Camcorders are only used for special occasions so head wear is minimal, that's why we use them for capturing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi8 camcorder are obsolete. Having video archive on an obsolete platform is risky. There is no new replacement unit. A cheap set top box with recording capability is a better solution.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The OP is not trying to record to Hi8, he is asking about playback for digitizing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    In addition to what John said, because they were go to players for playback camcorder tapes and recording TV shows they were heavily used like VHS machines, Camcorders are only used for special occasions so head wear is minimal, that's why we use them for capturing.
    I learned this the hard way years ago. Purchased one from Goodwill only to learn after I got it home that the heads are worn; can't play any tapes.
    Quote Quote