VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have a region 2 dvd that I'd like to rip (iso or vob) and then burn a region 1 dvd that I can play in any/most region 1 dvd players (mine is a Samsung 1590).

Can someone recommend apps/process to do this?

I have the following apps:
    BDLot DVD ISO master
    BurnAware Free
    DVDStyler
    DVD Decrypter
    IfoEdit
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by whoit View Post
    I have a region 2 dvd that I'd like to rip (iso or vob) and then burn a region 1 dvd that I can play in any/most region 1 dvd players (mine is a Samsung 1590).

Can someone recommend apps/process to do this?

I have the following apps:
    BDLot DVD ISO master
    BurnAware Free
    DVDStyler
    DVD Decrypter
    IfoEdit
    try with dvdfab
    Quote Quote  
  3. DVDFab seems kind of expensive.

The apps I listed are all free/open source.

I'd like to accomplish this using the apps I already have.
    Last edited by whoit; 15th Nov 2022 at 11:43. Reason: changed
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can't rip your dvd with any of the software if it's protected,you can use the free version of dvdfab but it's a bit behind in updates for newer dvds,you can also use makemkv but it only outputs videos in a mkv container for dvds,after that you can put your videos on usb sticks and play them that way,no need to convert.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You can't rip your dvd with any of the software if it's protected,you can use the free version of dvdfab but it's a bit behind in updates for newer dvds,you can also use makemkv but it only outputs videos in a mkv container for dvds,after that you can put your videos on usb sticks and play them that way,no need to convert.
    +1

create a mkv and play it using your TV media player, which for sure (!!!) will accept a MKV with simple DVD-Video content, even 10 year old TVs can do that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Region codes are just a number on the disc. Players look at the number and if it matches their firmware region code they play the disc. Region 2 discs are usually PAL (720x576 25 fps). Region 1 discs are always NTSC (720x480 at 29.97 fps). DVDs you make yourself are usually region free (so that's not a problem unless you really intend to make a DVD that only plays in region 1 players). What you probably really want is a PAL to NTSC conversion (most NTSC DVD players cannot play PAL discs properly). That is a much more complex issue than changing the region code. You have to resize the frame, convert the frame rate, and reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Region codes are just a number on the disc. Players look at the number and if it matches their firmware region code they play the disc. Region 2 discs are usually PAL (720x576 25 fps). Region 1 discs are always NTSC (720x480 at 29.97 fps). DVDs you make yourself are usually region free (so that's not a problem unless you really intend to make a DVD that only plays in region 1 players). What you probably really want is a PAL to NTSC conversion (most NTSC DVD players cannot play PAL discs properly). That is a much more complex issue than changing the region code. You have to resize the frame, convert the frame rate, and reencode.
    So, here's what I've tried.

Yes, the original DVD is in PAL.
    I can play the original on my pc using VLC
    I've ripped the original to both ISO and VOB - VLC can accurately play both, with full menu interactivity.
    (Side note: I have a Western Digital WD TV which can stream the VOB and play exactly as a dvd would, including menus without changing the actual video files - no conversion from PAL)

I've edited the IFO files using Ifoedit, and removed the region restriction from all 3 ifo files.
    I've also changed the PAL descriptors in all 3 ifo files to NTSC using Ifoedit.
    (VLC will still play the VOB after these edits)

After burning a DVD, I can't play the result anywhere - not on my pc with VLC, or in a dvd player.
    Note that I've tried burning before and after changing the ifo PAL descriptors - doesn't matter, still won't work.
    I've also tried burning the VOB files and the ISO file and neither works.

I'm at a loss at to why the burned DVD won't work on my pc, but the iso and vob will...
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo already explained to you that you have to re-encode the videos to ntsc,changing ifo files won't help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    jagabo already explained to you that you have to re-encode the videos to ntsc,changing ifo files won't help.
    Then why will the original dvd, the ripped iso and VOB play ok on my pc, but not the burned dvd?

The menus won't even show up from the burned dvd...
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The burned disc has altered files that you changed that are not proper for ntsc authored disc,the other files play because they are unchanged and your pc recognizes them,you have to re-encode your pal video to ntsc and authorize as ntsc and burn.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The burned disc has altered files that you changed that are not proper for ntsc authored disc,the other files play because they are unchanged and your pc recognizes them,you have to re-encode your pal video to ntsc and authorize as ntsc and burn.
    If I understand correctly, you are saying that having PAL formatted video, but NTSC parameters in the ifo files is causing a problem - correct?

However, that doesn't explain why VLC will play anything I throw at it, except the burned dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It won't play the burned disc cause you changed some of the ifos so it got screwed up and no program can read what to do.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Use AVSToDVD to change it from a PAL to an NTSC DVD. You'll get a basic menu, though, and not the originals.
    Quote Quote  
  14. i used dvd decrypter on recently issued dvd's and was amazed it worked, don;t convert from ntsc to PAl or vice versa, PLEASE. See if the resulting region free dvd will play a smany players will convert ntsc<>pal. Or use make mkv which i think removes protection.

https://www.makemkv.com/
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    i used dvd decrypter on recently issued dvd's and was amazed it worked, don;t convert from ntsc to PAl or vice versa, PLEASE. See if the resulting region free dvd will play a smany players will convert ntsc<>pal. Or use make mkv which i think removes protection.

I want to make sure I'm clear about what I'm trying to do.

I have a Region 2 DVD (PAL) and I'd like to "copy" it to a Region 1 DVD (with or without convert to NTSC), including the existing menus.
    I've already ripped the original to VOB files/dvd structure.

So, is this possible?

Whenever I try using any app (free or otherwise), the existing menus are lost and/or replaced with screen grab buttons that never match up to the originals.
    For example, the original has a main menu with 4 options (play all, episodes, extras, subtitles on/off). "episodes" and "extras" go to a sub-menu with additional options.

But the generated menus have as many as a dozen buttons, with screen grabs that are from the middle of some episodes, and when clicked, many take me to the same starting point (usually in the middle of an episode). Many do nothing when clicked.
    I'm ok building my menu - in fact if I can get a "play all" plus one button for each episode (6) I'd be quite happy.

Can someone offer some steps (preferably with open source/freeware) that I can use to accomplish this?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    i used dvd decrypter on recently issued dvd's and was amazed it worked, don;t convert from ntsc to PAl or vice versa, PLEASE. See if the resulting region free dvd will play a smany players will convert ntsc<>pal. Or use make mkv which i think removes protection.

I have a Region 2 DVD (PAL) and I'd like to "copy" it to a Region 1 DVD (with or without convert to NTSC), including the existing menus.

So, is this possible?

Whenever I try using any app (free or otherwise), the existing menus are lost and/or replaced with screen grab buttons that never match up to the originals.
    For example, the original has a main menu with 4 options (play all, episodes, extras, subtitles on/off). "episodes" and "extras" go to a sub-menu with additional options.

But the generated menus have as many as a dozen buttons, with screen grabs that are from the middle of some episodes, and when clicked, many take me to the same starting point (usually in the middle of an episode). Many do nothing when clicked.
    I'm ok building my menu - in fact if I can get a "play all" plus one button for each episode (6) I'd be quite happy.

Can someone offer some steps (preferably with open source/freeware) that I can use to accomplish this?
    use dvdfab, it has a 30 day free trial (after 30 days it switches to the free HD decrypter version) it will remove the region code so the burnt disc
    will be a region free copy. and will be an exact copy of the original disc. it won't however convert it from PAL to NTSC but many newer TVs will display both
    PAL & NTSC formats.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have had good luck using 'AnyDVD' (both Slysoft & Redfox, Slysoft on an ooold XP computer my sister gave me), ripping region 2 dvds, & using Imgburn. Have to buy AnyDVD, though.
    You can try AnyDVD for free for 2 or 3 weeks, still, I think.

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  18. october262 - Thanks, I'll give that a try.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by whoit View Post
    I have a region 2 dvd that I'd like to rip (iso or vob) and then burn a region 1 dvd that I can play in any/most region 1 dvd players.
    And you said later you had decrypted it to the hard drive. Is that correct? If so, then I'll mention AvsToDVD once again. It can do the conversion to NTSC but with only a rudimentary menu. Anything else (like actually converting all parts of the original DVD for NTSC with original menus) will be way too difficult for you.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    I have had good luck using 'AnyDVD' (both Slysoft & Redfox, Slysoft on an ooold XP computer my sister gave me), ripping region 2 dvds, & using Imgburn. Have to buy AnyDVD, though.
    You can try AnyDVD for free for 2 or 3 weeks, still, I think.

-c-
    Have you seen it successfully use the original DVD menus?

What about PAL to NTSC conversion?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I have a region 2 dvd that I'd like to rip (iso or vob) and then burn a region 1 dvd that I can play in any/most region 1 dvd players.
    And you said later you had decrypted it to the hard drive. Is that correct? If so, then I'll mention AvsToDVD once again. It can do the conversion to NTSC but with only a rudimentary menu. Anything else (like actually converting all parts of the original DVD for NTSC with original menus) will be way too difficult for you.
    I've ripped the original dvd to VOB.

Isn't there an app that will read the IFO files to determine where the start points should be and then create menu buttons that align with that?
    (That's what is happening on the original, right?)

Again, the main problem I'm having with apps like UniConverter is the menu structure. It (and others) seem to create menu items that do not reflect where the actual starting point should be (as they are on the original).

Or am I way off base?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Methinks you have had all the relevant answers but allow me to summise and add a few more.

1. A proper dvd-rip (dvd decrypter might do that) will be Region-free
    2. There is AFAIK no software that can create any dvd that has region coding. All will be Region-free. Some high-end software such as DVDLab-Pro does allow you set a flag for a region but that flag is only for the use of a commercial disk pressing lab.
    3. Again, there is no software that can take a PAL dvd, convert it to NTSC with frame-rate, frame size etc. AND retain the original menus. You can, of course, simulate those menus with authoring software by copying backgrounds and importing your own buttons, and create the required links but, again, it is a lot of work. And this has to be done using raw assets - Mpeg2 video etc not vobs from the rip
    4. Even if your tv can display a PAL dvd and even having created a Region-free disk, your player must still recognise it as PAL.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by whoit View Post

So, is this possible?
    Sure it's possible. But it won't play properly in most North American DVD players -- because they can't deal with PAL video.

The situation is different in region 2. Region2 includes both PAL and NTSC countries so DVD players there can deal with both.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I suggest you forget about the DVD menus and focus on making a PAL to NTSC conversion on the main feature. That's likely enough of a struggle.

To retain the menus, you would have to author a new NTSC DVD from scratch using the converted assests of the original PAL disc. A very complex thing to do and it requires tons of experience in DVD authoring.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is why I gave up playing discs years ago - Makemkv to produce a mkv file of the main movie, extras? generally just padding, not interested. MKV's are all on my NAS and I can access them anywhere... All the information for the OP has been given. Re DVD's and BD's they have strict rules around the way the files are structured that's why his home made discs won't play. PC media players are not so constrained, they even ignore most protection systems other than DRM.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by whoit View Post
    Or am I way off base?
    You're way off base.

I used to reencode the videos using AviSynth and an MPEG-2 encoder and stilled and resized the menus, reauthoring with DVDAuthorgui.

You could do a decent job of it with a whole lot of work, if you actually knew anything about the process. Since you don't, you can't.
    Quote Quote  
  27. OK, I figured out a compromise.

1) I converted the VOB files from PAL to NTSC and joined them into 1 VOB file.
    (I used UniConverter but I'm sure there are others)
    2) Using a video editor (like Avidemux) I chopped it into the respective episodes.
    3) Then, I used AVStoDVD to author a simple DVD with a basic menu that plays individual episodes, or all.

I now have a region free DVD in NTSC that work on any player.

Thanks for the help/suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Region 1 discs are always NTSC (720x480 at 29.97 fps).
    I'm a little confused on the frame rate of some NTSC dvd's. I semi-recently bought a 4K BD player and for fun have been going into the display mode which lists resolution and frame rate stats of the disc.

So far I've seen 24i, 24p, 30i, 30p, not including PAL discs that my player recognizes.

Are the 24i/p discs actually 29.97 but have flags that tell the player to output at 24i or 24p?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Film material on DVD can be encoded at 23.976p with pulldown flags that tell the player how to make 29.97i, or go through hard pulldown then encoded as 29.97i. The former delivers better quality.

The final "output" of DVD has to be 29.97i because that's all NTSC TVs could display.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Film material on DVD can be encoded at 23.976p with pulldown flags that tell the player how to make 29.97i, or go through hard pulldown then encoded as 29.97i. The former delivers better quality.

The final "output" of DVD has to be 29.97i because that's all NTSC TVs could display.
    It seems my player has a harder time delivering 24i material smoothly as I can see jerky motion more with the rate vs. the others. Does this have to do with hard vs soft pulldown? I know you said some player's built-in deinterlacers may not be as good as QTGMC.
    Quote Quote