VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a region 2 dvd that I'd like to rip (iso or vob) and then burn a region 1 dvd that I can play in any/most region 1 dvd players (mine is a Samsung 1590).

Can someone recommend apps/process to do this?

I have the following apps:
    BDLot DVD ISO master
    BurnAware Free
    DVDStyler
    DVD Decrypter
    IfoEdit
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by whoit View Post
    I have a region 2 dvd that I'd like to rip (iso or vob) and then burn a region 1 dvd that I can play in any/most region 1 dvd players (mine is a Samsung 1590).

Can someone recommend apps/process to do this?

I have the following apps:
    BDLot DVD ISO master
    BurnAware Free
    DVDStyler
    DVD Decrypter
    IfoEdit
    try with dvdfab
    Quote Quote  
  3. DVDFab seems kind of expensive.

The apps I listed are all free/open source.

I'd like to accomplish this using the apps I already have.
    Last edited by whoit; 15th Nov 2022 at 11:43. Reason: changed
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can't rip your dvd with any of the software if it's protected,you can use the free version of dvdfab but it's a bit behind in updates for newer dvds,you can also use makemkv but it only outputs videos in a mkv container for dvds,after that you can put your videos on usb sticks and play them that way,no need to convert.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You can't rip your dvd with any of the software if it's protected,you can use the free version of dvdfab but it's a bit behind in updates for newer dvds,you can also use makemkv but it only outputs videos in a mkv container for dvds,after that you can put your videos on usb sticks and play them that way,no need to convert.
    +1

create a mkv and play it using your TV media player, which for sure (!!!) will accept a MKV with simple DVD-Video content, even 10 year old TVs can do that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Region codes are just a number on the disc. Players look at the number and if it matches their firmware region code they play the disc. Region 2 discs are usually PAL (720x576 25 fps). Region 1 discs are always NTSC (720x480 at 29.97 fps). DVDs you make yourself are usually region free (so that's not a problem unless you really intend to make a DVD that only plays in region 1 players). What you probably really want is a PAL to NTSC conversion (most NTSC DVD players cannot play PAL discs properly). That is a much more complex issue than changing the region code. You have to resize the frame, convert the frame rate, and reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Region codes are just a number on the disc. Players look at the number and if it matches their firmware region code they play the disc. Region 2 discs are usually PAL (720x576 25 fps). Region 1 discs are always NTSC (720x480 at 29.97 fps). DVDs you make yourself are usually region free (so that's not a problem unless you really intend to make a DVD that only plays in region 1 players). What you probably really want is a PAL to NTSC conversion (most NTSC DVD players cannot play PAL discs properly). That is a much more complex issue than changing the region code. You have to resize the frame, convert the frame rate, and reencode.
    So, here's what I've tried.

Yes, the original DVD is in PAL.
    I can play the original on my pc using VLC
    I've ripped the original to both ISO and VOB - VLC can accurately play both, with full menu interactivity.
    (Side note: I have a Western Digital WD TV which can stream the VOB and play exactly as a dvd would, including menus without changing the actual video files - no conversion from PAL)

I've edited the IFO files using Ifoedit, and removed the region restriction from all 3 ifo files.
    I've also changed the PAL descriptors in all 3 ifo files to NTSC using Ifoedit.
    (VLC will still play the VOB after these edits)

After burning a DVD, I can't play the result anywhere - not on my pc with VLC, or in a dvd player.
    Note that I've tried burning before and after changing the ifo PAL descriptors - doesn't matter, still won't work.
    I've also tried burning the VOB files and the ISO file and neither works.

I'm at a loss at to why the burned DVD won't work on my pc, but the iso and vob will...
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo already explained to you that you have to re-encode the videos to ntsc,changing ifo files won't help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    jagabo already explained to you that you have to re-encode the videos to ntsc,changing ifo files won't help.
    Then why will the original dvd, the ripped iso and VOB play ok on my pc, but not the burned dvd?

The menus won't even show up from the burned dvd...
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The burned disc has altered files that you changed that are not proper for ntsc authored disc,the other files play because they are unchanged and your pc recognizes them,you have to re-encode your pal video to ntsc and authorize as ntsc and burn.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The burned disc has altered files that you changed that are not proper for ntsc authored disc,the other files play because they are unchanged and your pc recognizes them,you have to re-encode your pal video to ntsc and authorize as ntsc and burn.
    If I understand correctly, you are saying that having PAL formatted video, but NTSC parameters in the ifo files is causing a problem - correct?

However, that doesn't explain why VLC will play anything I throw at it, except the burned dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It won't play the burned disc cause you changed some of the ifos so it got screwed up and no program can read what to do.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Use AVSToDVD to change it from a PAL to an NTSC DVD. You'll get a basic menu, though, and not the originals.
    Quote Quote  
  14. i used dvd decrypter on recently issued dvd's and was amazed it worked, don;t convert from ntsc to PAl or vice versa, PLEASE. See if the resulting region free dvd will play a smany players will convert ntsc<>pal. Or use make mkv which i think removes protection.

https://www.makemkv.com/
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote