VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. There's no 24i on either DVDs or Blu-rays. And restoring 24p from 29.97 depends of whether it's hard or soft pulldown. A DVD player will return 24p if from a soft telecined source. Most DVD players (the flag readers) will deinterlace for output the hard telecined sources. And, of course, they will deinterlace true 29.97i video.

But maybe that jerkiness you notice is just the inherent nature of film sources played on a 60 Hz television set. With a fully progressive 24p film source, every 5th frame has to be duplicated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    There's no 24i on either DVDs or Blu-rays.
    I know you said there's no such thing as 24i, but my player seems to think so. Maybe this is why the jerkier stuff is mainly with what the player calls 24i?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	24i.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	68225  

Quote Quote  
  3. I know you said it was one of the things your player showed you, but I stand by what I said. I have no idea what the player means by that. Maybe a short untouched sample (cut from the DVD using DGIndex) will help to explain.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by whoit View Post
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    I have had good luck using 'AnyDVD' (both Slysoft & Redfox, Slysoft on an ooold XP computer my sister gave me), ripping region 2 dvds, & using Imgburn. Have to buy AnyDVD, though.
    You can try AnyDVD for free for 2 or 3 weeks, still, I think.

-c-
    Have you seen it successfully use the original DVD menus?

What about PAL to NTSC conversion?
    Ript full disk(s) with Redfox to iso & burned with Imgburn, region free.

Did not have to convert pal to ntsc, works just fine.

-c-
    Last edited by cornemuse; 22nd Dec 2022 at 10:56. Reason: feng shui
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I know you said it was one of the things your player showed you, but I stand by what I said. I have no idea what the player means by that. Maybe a short untouched sample (cut from the DVD using DGIndex) will help to explain.
    I used DVDFab12's VOB Passthrough mode to rip an episode from the dvd then used VirtualDub's Direct Stream Copy/Export Stream copy & marked in/out a 50 second clip. Hopefully this didn't add any processing.

MediaInfo stats are the same for both the original ripped .vob and VirtualDub .vob except the VirtualDub .vob has a slightly higher bit rate (4197 vs 3716 kbps).
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by clashradio; 23rd Dec 2022 at 19:23.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Good sample. Like all NTSC DVDs, it's 29.97fps. It's been soft telecined and if the entire thing is like that, you can use 'Forced Film' in DGIndex and make an already progressive 24p D2V for your AviSynth script. However, that rarely happens and safer might be to use 'Honor Pulldown Flags' in DGIndex and make the script like so:

TFM(d2v="720x480 24i.d2v")
    TDecimate()

I still have no idea why your television says 24i. 24p, possibly, but 30i is better yet.
    Quote Quote