VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've recently gotten into burning some physical media again. I have a spindle of Verbatim DataLifePlus 16X Blank BD-R discs and have been using MultiAVCHD 4.1 to create my folder structure and burning to a disc with ImgBurn. How can I tell which region the discs I've burned are? I've done some Googling and I've been unable to find a solid answer. There's nothing on the packaging of the discs to indicate region and I've looked through MultiAVCHD but haven't seen any option that tells me (Though it's quite possible I've overlooked it). Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know a ton about this stuff but I have a basic knowledge of regions from growing up with video games (NTSC/PAL) but not much beyond that. Curious about this because I'm burning some old home movies and ideally I'd like them to be Region 0 so they can play in machines regardless of location.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mlaallday View Post
    I've recently gotten into burning some physical media again. I have a spindle of Verbatim DataLifePlus 16X Blank BD-R discs and have been using MultiAVCHD 4.1 to create my folder structure and burning to a disc with ImgBurn. How can I tell which region the discs I've burned are? I've done some Googling and I've been unable to find a solid answer. There's nothing on the packaging of the discs to indicate region and I've looked through MultiAVCHD but haven't seen any option that tells me (Though it's quite possible I've overlooked it). Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know a ton about this stuff but I have a basic knowledge of regions from growing up with video games (NTSC/PAL) but not much beyond that. Curious about this because I'm burning some old home movies and ideally I'd like them to be Region 0 so they can play in machines regardless of location.

if you burned your movies, then they are region free.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mlaallday View Post
    I've recently gotten into burning some physical media again. I have a spindle of Verbatim DataLifePlus 16X Blank BD-R discs and have been using MultiAVCHD 4.1 to create my folder structure and burning to a disc with ImgBurn. How can I tell which region the discs I've burned are? I've done some Googling and I've been unable to find a solid answer. There's nothing on the packaging of the discs to indicate region and I've looked through MultiAVCHD but haven't seen any option that tells me (Though it's quite possible I've overlooked it). Any help would be appreciated.

The region codes used for Blu-ray are A, B, and C. Blu-ray discs are playable in all regions if there is no region code set, or if all 3 region flags (A, B, and C) are set.

Consumer Blu-ray authoring software and Blu-ray authoring freeware don't have a way to set region codes because region codes are only relevant for commercial distribution. Home-authored discs most likely won't have any region code flags applied.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    While region is supposed to be separate from 50 Hz / 60 Hz chasm, manufacturers often conflate them. My Blu-ray player happily plays AVC-encoded media files from another TV standard when I play them from a USB stick, but refuses to play a legit region-free Blu-ray from the same TV system. Same video and audio codec, but no.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can examine some of the m2ts files with MediaInfo. If they're 25 or 50 fps they're PAL. If they're 29.97 or 59.94 fps they're NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Allow me to throw a 'spanner' in to the works.

Whilst the OP asked for info re the Region (and any self-burned disk, as mentioned, would typically not have a region - or zone as applicable for blu-ray) any discussion of PAL or NTSC is moot when it comes down to blu-ray. Check any cover for a commercial blu-ray and I challenge anyone to show me one that has any such markings whereas the dvd will show them. And the reason, as far as I am aware, is that a dvd player having a means to convert the SD content on the disk to display on an analogue tv is not applicable to HD from a blu-ray which remains digital both on the disk and to the tv. Or to put it amother way, an analogue tv can not display a blu-ray direct from a player without some means of external digital to analogue conversion. Both PAL and NTSC are strictly analogue standards.

But if I am having a 'senior' moment then by all means correct me.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most region 1 blu-ray players will not play pal authorized dvd/blu-ray region free but will play pal on a usb stick,its been like that for years.Also you can open multiavchd and see what setting you have it on for ntsc or pal.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote