Equipment: Acer Swift 1 laptop, Logitech C920 webcam (“HD Pro"), Logitech Capture. Problems: (1) The laptop has a generic minijack socket. When I plug something in, a dialogue pops up asking what type of device it is – in my case the answer is either speakers or headphones – let’s say headphones for now. Once I’ve ticked the appropriate box then OK, the laptop still can’t see my headphones. Not in Device Manager (even if I choose “Scan for new hardware"), not in Windows Settings > System > Sounds. However if I right click on the Windows speaker icon and choose “Troubleshoot sound problems” that will often find the missing headphones. Does anyone know why this is happening? (Logitech Capture has a speaker icon but I’m not sure what it does).

(2) I’m hoping to use the C920’s own microphone for recording my grand piano. So far as I can tell the result is quite acceptable (using high quality AKG headphones). However the level from the microphone is much too high, causing distortion. Should I be setting the microphone volume level in Windows Sounds, or in Logitech Capture?

I do have much better microphones – a pair of Rode NT55 – and would like to use these eventually, with my Zoom H4n as an interface to USB; but I need to take things one step at a time. Thanks in advance for any help offered.