VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I running VidCoder (Have also try handbrake that is build on) and trying to find a good settings for X265
    That settings I have now is very nice but it take to long to convert my files, a 30 min video take over 2 hours.

I have run this settings before with nice quality and nice speed but did have some problem with some files and I did find the problem.
    I did have to low level in video encoding so I did change it to automatic and now it take a long time.

I know if I want to have a very good quality it going to take time but it feel I have select to much quality??

My settings is very simple. That I recording is from my HDTV and it create a video file.
    I then run VidCoder with not so much change settings from default.

Sizeing I have Automatic and Max height of 720 (I do not need to have the video in full HD)

Detelecine = Off
    Deinterlace = Decomb, Default, Default
    Denoise = hqdn3d, Medium
    Chroma smooth = Off
    Sharpen = Off
    Colorspace = Off

Video codec = H.265
    Framerate = Same as source
    Quality = 22 RF
    Tune = None
    Profile = Automatic
    Level = Automatic
    More settings = "ref=5:bframes=5"

Audio mixdown to Stereo (Most that i recording is already stereo)

/UPDATE

I notice that I can run with GPU when I use AMD VCE.
    Now it take less then 4 min but the size is around 3 times bigger then I use CPU instead?
    Last edited by Cazz; 4th Nov 2022 at 09:06.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try using a faster preset with x265.

For AMD VCE... If you're using bitrate based encoding specify a lower bitrate (that directly effects the file size). If you're using quality based encoding specify a lower quality to get a smaller file size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Try using a faster preset with x265.

For AMD VCE... If you're using bitrate based encoding specify a lower bitrate (that directly effects the file size). If you're using quality based encoding specify a lower quality to get a smaller file size.
    I've had good luck with "fast" preset; read an article somwhere, apparently that's the sweet spot
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the best guide I've seen, and I've seen it linked to by knowledgeable users ...it says it's for Anime but much modern anime has a lot of CGI so the settings are pretty portable. I've seen a bunch of live action/CGI video using their settings and it looks pretty damn good.

https://kokomins.wordpress.com/2019/10/10/anime-encoding-guide-for-x265-and-why-to-never-use-flac/
    Quote Quote