VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello,

So, i want to adress an couple things about the batch convert SE tool.

In a nutshell, i mainly use SE to check sync and convert the srt files to bluray *.sup files.

But here's the thing , when i use the batch tool, SE always wants to process several srt files at once ! Not one By one !!
    As a result of that, SE often doesn't respond according to taskmanager and the files are MUCH slower processed !

So, i need to know how i can enable the batch tool to convert one file at an time, if that is even possible!!

Moreover iam baffled not to find One single thread about this issue !!
    This issue has been an pita for an LOOOOOng time now, and i didn't created an thread sooner because eventually SE does the job, but it takes allot longer than it should take !!

Anyways, any idea's are welcome. If not, thanks for reading

cheers,
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Batch convert always works for me in processing srt files one at a time,might be something wrong on your end since no one else has reported this issue,how many files are you putting in se before it starts to bog down?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Batch convert always works for me in processing srt files one at a time,might
    REALY ? Did you had to change any settings in SE to accomplish that ?
    If so , whats it called pretty please

Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    How many files are you putting in se before it starts to bog down?
    Err, are we talking about the same app / SE 3.6.x ? There's not much you can do as user when using the batch tool !
    In SE batch mode you cannot add files during the process !? First you have to add all the files before the conversion even starts ! Once started, you are not in controll anymore .. except killing the process through taskmanager ..!

Just to be clear on this, i don't use any correction commands like spell checks, sync, etc in batch mode . I do that one by one manually in SE..
    Fyi, so you know you can rule this out as a possible cause of this problem ?

Mainly, all you have to do in batch mode, is scan folder for srt/subtitle files to add all subs , or add the subs by selecting manually.

All you can do is indicate the source folder and destination folder of the subtitles you want to convert, before SE start and convert every sub to the desired format !!

AND the latter is where it gets problematic !! Once the process starts , i have noticed SE converts 2, 3 maybe more SRT files simultaneously into pgs/sup formats !!
    AND EXACTLY that behavior cause app hang/not responding from time to time !!!

Moreover, after i add the subs and start the process ...
    The batch mode is so slow that it doesn't even respond when I click cancel !! When that happends, i have to wait untill everything is processed, OR... i have to kill process in task manager ...

So, this issue happends with the portable version of SE too btw...

Maybe, i have to play with compatiblity settings...

It's not that i don't have the patience for se to complete.
    But this event is interfering with the playback of video movies i'm watching at the same time

Even though SE utilizes only about 12 - 14% off my cpu (FX-8350 @4700Mhz) !?

cheers,
    Metagondria
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm talking about adding files before you do the batch,when you add 4 files does it work or at 8 files added.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I'm talking about adding files before you do the batch,when you add 4 files does it work or at 8 files added.
    Ofcourse me too are talking about adding before the batch process !? But adding files isn't the problem, the batch process IS the issue however !!

It doesn't matter how many files i add, the MAIN PROBLEM is that SE is processing 2 - 3 files (max) at the same time.
    so for instance, when i queue 4 files, it will do 2-3 files simultaneously... same goes for an greater number of files, 8, 16, 21 doesn't matter how many files i put in the job list.

The MAIN issue is that SE does WAY too many files at once simultaneously !!!
    And putting 1 or 2 files in queue in batch mode defeats the purpose of using batch mode, right!

anyway, thanks for you input johns

EDIT:
    come to think of ... Doing it by myself and convert 1 srt to sup format, SE utilizes like 26% of my cpu, that on its own explains the major slow down in Batch mode !!

I have noticed SE responds very well during the process according to taskmanager... But doesn't responds correctly IN Batch modus !!

Maybe i have to take another approach when searching online regarding this matter ...

cheers,
    Last edited by metagondria; 3rd Nov 2022 at 11:10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just did a test with 15 srts and converted to sup in one minute,no slow down and one at a time,must be your computer not up to snuff.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Just did a test with 15 srts and converted to sup in one minute,no slow down and one at a time,must be your computer not up to snuff.
    if that were the case, then I should have a lot more problems with this computer!!

The thing does almost all kinds of video editing / encode without any problems with 3rd party software such as hybrid, avchd, bdrebuilder etc etc... Even all kinds of other tools for subtitle editing work perfectly..

Also batch operations for MKV/MP4 containers that are chock full of subtitles & sound tracks are processed perfectly!!

Basically, I can't think of one thing about my PC/Settings why this is happening !
    Can YOU ?

I mean, the fact you can't reproduce the problem doesn't mean my pc is at fault !?

I mean SE isn't exactly a complex system rooted program in every sense of the word, is it?
    It might be an rare bug, and the reason why nobody has posted this very same issue anywhere !!

It's not a technically challenging program like Adobe After effects we're dealing with here? right?

AE works perfectly on my PC by the way, for creating Bluray Title menus among others , no problem there apart from scripting..
    But scripting is another category of troubleshooting

Anyway, "if & when" i have found the cullprit and the sollution to this, i report back... Unless it's an rare bug in SE, ← might explain why i didn't found any posts about this issues !

cheers,
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What's your computers specs?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    What's your computers specs?
    Mobo: Asus Sabretooth FX990 r2.0
    CPU: FX-8350 @4700
    RAM: DDR3-1866Mhz
    GPU: RX-6600XT
    SSD: Samsung EVO 850

Fyi, single srt file processing utilizes between 26 - 30% cpu and takes like 10sec to convert 1 srt into pgs , while in batch mode however the cpu utilizes only 12-15% and the app is very erratic and unresponsive (not responding flags in taskmanager → only in batchmode)!!

This is most probebly because it does multiple srt files at the same time !!

Anyway, i have posted this issue at github bug section in the meanwhile...

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The 8350 is a crappy cpu,thats why you get these results,nothing you can say will make it subtitle edit faults.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The 8350 is a crappy cpu,thats why you get these results,nothing you can say will make it subtitle edit faults.
    crappy cpu is it? Once upon a time that cpu WOS an BEAST among BEASTS thank you very much

Also, that "crappy" cpu does an excelent job when it convert just 1 srt to 1 sup file..

FX-crappy does like 1 srt To 1 sup in litterrally 10secs +/- doing it manually by my hands..

In batch mode however, it takes litterally 20x longer to do JUST 1 file !! That can"t be right. Even though in batch it wants to process 3 files at once, it takes WAY WAY longer that it should !! And most certainly there lies the problem !!

Not only that, but SE batch mode utilizes the cpu for like only about 10 - 12% !! Compared to 25 - 30% cpu manually in SE !!

Iam convinced, SE needs an option to decide how many files it will process at an time ranging from 1 to xx ... !! That should do the trick , iam sure of it...
    Else, it has something to do with how many cpu-threads the batch mode uses..

Granted, the fx-xxxx didn't excel at thread handling in the past, present or future
    But it certain was an world record BEAST to Overcl0ck

No, you said it yourself... SE processes only 1 file at an time by default in your case !! In my case for some crazy reason, SE batch creates emediatly atleast 3 *.sup files right from the bat to do them silmultaneously... Right ← there something goes wrong in batch mode !!

so why is it se only processes 1 by 1, step by step in your case.. But wants to do the lot of em at once in my case !??

Fyi, in the meanwhile the developer of SE has stepped in the field, sended me an beta test version. And i must say, improvements / corrections have been made...
    It seems the crappy-fxXXX still has some juice left

NIce talking to you johnson

take care,

cheers,
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Update: About my cpu being at fault and not SE .. The latest beta i received from the developer has solved pretty much the speed/non responding issue

I guess, my crappy fx cpu is STILL in the GAME .. Wooo Hoo

It's all a matter of optimizing things huny
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sure sure...

Here's another one: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-1200-vs-AMD-FX-8350/3931vs1489

Or

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-vs-AMD-FX-8350/621vs1489

The effective speed gain is only 2% and average score of the much newer ryzen cpu is barely 20% - 26% better than my fx-83xx baby.

Check these results ↓ ...

(Benchmark Ryzen 7 1700)
    https://hwbot.org/benchmark/hwbot_x265_benchmark_-_1080p/rankings?hardwareTypeId=proce...80#interval=20

&

(Benchmark FX-8350) and watch for the benchmark results of user "ToiletDuck", that would be me

https://hwbot.org/benchmark/hwbot_x265_benchmark_-_1080p/rankings?hardwareTypeId=proce...20#interval=20

Look at the x265 / 1080p benchmark "scores" of both the Ryzen 7 1700 8x -Octa core and compare them with my "crappy" Fx-83xx cpu...

Are the results from almost an 6 year NEWER cpu not AWFULL PAINFULL ... almost embarrassing

In that regard, my ten year older cpu still can cope with the newer ryzen 3 or ryzen 7 cpu !!!
    Same goes for the Intel cpu you"ve mentioned, not that big "WoRLD" difference!

Isn't that mind boggling, to say the least !??

As of recently with the raptor/meteor lake or the anticipating Amd 3D-V cached cpu's.
    It's just about the right time to spend the bucks to upgrade it to an socket LGA 1700 intel or amd 1718, and iam settled for another 10 years .
    I will probely go for Amd again, since Amd alway's have had an longer lifespan 5 - 7 years compared to intel every 2 years another socket = another Mobo

cheers,
    Last edited by metagondria; 6th Nov 2022 at 08:30.
    Quote Quote