VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi ive just bought a 4k ultra hd tv and ill be using it mostly for my pc, i have a ryzen 5 5600g processor and i have a gtx 1660 graphics card and its connected with an hdmi lead both ends and when i try to put the resolution higher than 1920x1080p the tv keeps going to a blank screen then back again then says no signal, i tried the native resolution of 3840x2160 and a few others, but once i change it, it just keeps going to a blank screen, and i nearly never got it back to 1920x1080p as it was just flashing the windows screen then back to blank screen again, i had to be quick to get it back, is it just becuase the graphics card cant work on a higher resolution than 1920 or could it be something else i need to do or some other problem, has anyone else experienced this or anything similar?

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by adamf154; 2nd Nov 2022 at 09:32.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Both the 1660 and your 4K TV should be able to run at 3840x2160. Make sure you're not trying to run at too high a frame rate. Stick with 60 Hz and below. Try a new HDMI/DP cable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. im prob going to downgrade the graphics driver first i updated it earlier, but think it was before, i tried running at 3840 or higher than 1920
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also make sure you use a hdmi 2.0 cable.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ive read quite alot about it just being a marketing ploy saying the cables are different versions and that all hdmi cables should work and alot of the ones you might buy on the likes of ebay are prob wrognly labeled just to get a sale
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not all cables will work,you need 1.4 for uhd and 2.0 for increased bandwidth,i bought 2.0 just for my uhd tv.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by adamf154 View Post
    ive read quite alot about it just being a marketing ploy saying the cables are different versions and that all hdmi cables should work and alot of the ones you might buy on the likes of ebay are prob wrognly labeled just to get a sale
    That's not true anymore. Here's a quick table of some HDMI versions and their defined maximum bandwidth:

Code:
    HDMI      Bandwidth   Notes
    Version	  Gb/s
    --------------------------------------
    1.0        5
    1.3       10           4K up to 30Hz
    2.0       18           4K up to 60 Hz
    2.1       48          10K up to 120 Hz
    Some older cables (especially short ones) can successfully carry higher bandwidth signals but to be sure you should use a 2.0 cable for 4K at 60 Hz. The symptoms you are seeing are classic handshake problems -- signs you cable is insufficient for the signal.
    Quote Quote  
  8. well i just went down a few drivers and it still didnt work but it is now worse as it keeps going blank on 1920 now where it was fine before, so i went back to the lastest driver, i also tried 2 different wires and they didnt work at all, all i got was no signal, so i should buy a 4k hdmi cable and it should work properly
    Last edited by adamf154; 3rd Nov 2022 at 03:46.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ok so ive put it down to 30hz and it seems to be working fine now on 3840, but i will be playing games so ill prob just get a 4k wire anyway to get it upto 60hz but at least ive got it working for now and i dont need to put my fist thru the tv lol
    Last edited by adamf154; 3rd Nov 2022 at 03:46.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You meant 30hz and 60hz,you would need really thick hdmi cables for mhz.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You should also get the shortest cable that will reach. Don't use a 30 foot cable if a 3 foot cable will reach. Longer runs are more prone to bandwidth and voltage drop problems.
    Quote Quote