VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello again,

I am not familiar with the codes for color changes in subtitle text. I only want to make the color change
    on a select number of entries. What is the switch/ code to turn on the standard yellow highlighted subtitle color in Subtitle Edit?
    I have looked at the program and the only color settings I see is for the program error prompts. This is just
    to highlight a break from speech and indicate some descriptive text while not using the CC brackets etc.

Other question, something I could not find in search is: Is there a standard reference for CC codes and
    descriptions within a subtitle. preferably with examples of each, in PDF?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ok I see in the Nikse MiniFAQ (not so mini) that an image-based subtitle has to be used to change colors
    at Export. Perhaps this requires a format change that would be awkward. I would try it, but have not used the
    box with all the color specifications.
    Quote Quote  
  3. SSA and ASS text-based subtitles also have the ability to change colors, either singly or all of them. SRT along with a styles file can also do it, but not all players will take it into account.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok, to simplify:

Is there a program outside of Subtitle edit that can change several lines of SRT with , dunno, the usual switches on / off for things like
    bold or Italic but for this color change, then save and return to Subtitle Edit?

Or, if I did a save in SE as ASS or whatrever handles it within SE, can that be resaved as SRT? I'm just looking for the
    transportability that SRT provides.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This works for me.

Code:
    00:00:07,226 --> 00:00:09,066
    I remember as a kid...

00:00:09,586 --> 00:00:11,986
    I could hear the echo through the city.

00:00:13,546 --> 00:00:14,946
    <font Color="#ffff00">It's like this scream.</font>
    So does this.

Code:
    00:00:02,336 --> 00:00:04,203
           DAVID LLOYD EVANS--

00:00:04,205 --> 00:00:06,739
    <font color="#ffff00">TV announcer:
        <i> And here at Birmingham East</i>
         <i> the returning officer</i></font>
    These are done manually using Notepad.exe
    It may not be the way to go if you need to do a lot of changes.
    I'd try manually entering the markup code in SE, if it's possible.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @pcspeak

You are the code wizard. Thanks for answering . I will certainly give it a try. But I would only be able to copy things in by rote.

Just as a point of reference , could the F2 plain text option in SE accept the code without
    the intermediary step of going to notepad? F2 brings up a screen of plain text with all the timings
    etc. F2 toggles it on and off.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I did a test of the code in SE plain text window accessed with F2. I ran the line, then made a screen shot.
    I expected the player in SE to pick up the code. The relevant line is 182. I did not get a color change.

The only thing I can think of to get the color going would be to Save-As ASS or whatever and attempt to run it
    again.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	color on subtitle text test.png
Views:	85
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	67453  

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I typed the HTML in here and it came up yellow as soon as I typed in </font>

No problems here.

This is the file saved in SE.
    Code:
    00:00:02,336 --> 00:00:04,203
           DAVID LLOYD EVANS--

00:00:04,205 --> 00:00:06,739
    <font color="#ffff00" size=30>TV announcer:</font>
        <font color="#ffff00"><i> And here at Birmingham East</i>
         <i> the returning officer</i></font>

00:00:06,741 --> 00:00:08,240
           <i> is just declaring</i>
              <i> the result.</i>

00:00:08,242 --> 00:00:12,078
          JAMES GEORGE HACKER,

00:00:12,080 --> 00:00:15,381
          <font color="ffff00">ARTHUR WILLIAM GAUNT,
                19,333--</font>
    Cheers.
    Last edited by pcspeak; 3rd Nov 2022 at 15:00.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, that's fine for your example and that's what I expected to happen as well.
    No idea how to proceed on it. My example should show any errors that I have overlooked. all I did was copy and paste the code from your example.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My only thought is you're changing the .srt file but the window on the right is displaying embedded subtitles in the video.
    Easy to check. Change line 182 "Pretty well" dialogue to "Pretty unwell" and see what you get in the video.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Beware that not all players will respond to HTML color tags in SRT files.
    Code:
    00:00:00,500 --> 00:00:05,000
    <font color="#ff0000">red</font> <font color="#ffff00">yellow</font> <font color="#00ff00">green</font> <font color="#00ffff">cyan</font> <font color="#0000ff">blue</font> <font color="#ff00ff">magenta</font> <font color="#010101">black</font>
    [Attachment 67455 - Click to enlarge]

Color to Hex calculator: https://www.hexcolortool.com/#9fff1a
    Quote Quote  
  12. Everyone is trying on this but I think it would have to be corrected in the SE itself. I saw a question a couple lines down where Nikse answered so maybe there could be a programming option such as highlight a line as you would to move up/down and have the option to change color (only a couple).

But yes, I'll try to change it to 'unwell' and rerun the line.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The option is there to right click on a line / select Color and then click on 'Yellow', one of the SE default colors.

Quote Quote  
  14. The SRT spec doesn't officially support HTML color tags. That's why it's not implemented in many programs. You may have to add them yourself with a text editor like Notepad. And once again, many players (especially outside a computer) don't support the tags.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ok, something I missed obviously. I play with it and report back any progress.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Success. I got the color change. So many program elements, I missed it.
    Thanks to all who helped.
    Quote Quote  
  17. That same screen shows 'alignment' and I got that to work as well moving the text to center top to distinguish from
    regular dialog.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    That same screen shows 'alignment' and I got that to work as well moving the text to center top to distinguish from
    regular dialog.
    That's another extension that doesn't work with many players.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I haven't tested any of these testsa in an actual player, so I appreciate the warning.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    I haven't tested any of these in an actual player, so I appreciate the warning.
    VLC and Daum Potplayer seem to be handling the changes ok.
    As always YMMV.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Yes many players that run in Windows support those extended features. It's when you go outside a computer that there's little support. The media players built into TVs, Blu-ray players, DVD players, standalone media players, etc. And that's how many people want to watch their videos, on their big screen TV.
    Quote Quote