VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15
FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    A constant phase-shift video is easily recognizable and can be fixed with a simple:

Code:
    DoubleWeave()
    SelectOdd()
    Or:
    Code:
    SeparateFields()
    Trim(1,0)
    Weave()
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    I prefer the AviSynth approach because you examine the true fields without applying any deinterlacing and then conclusion on processed material. I found (rarely) in the past that it can lead to misinterpretations.
    Yeah, but one can examine the true fields in VDub2 as well. I am not defending here anything but rather give the OP a hint because he is not very familiar with Avisynth (yet)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-05 114623.png
Views:	29
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	69593  

Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, I know OP preference, just pushing him to upgrade 😉
    Quote Quote  
  4. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    A constant phase-shift video is easily recognizable and can be fixed with a simple:

Code:
    DoubleWeave()
    SelectOdd()
    Or:
    Code:
    SeparateFields()
    Trim(1,0)
    Weave()
    Yes, that's even more intuitive and easier to understand!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    . Not everybody is a perfectionist.
    You don't have to be a perfectionist to avoid crappy work.

That Youtuber doofus (and there are sadly too many other them) has zero knowledge of video. He may think he's helping others, but he not whatsoever. If this was a car, he'd be telling people how to pour sugar in the tank to "make the gas sweeter, to make the car go faster", or some such BS. He doesn't know what he doesn't know. Newbies are fooled, equally knowing nothing. But the rest of us know he's an idiot.

If you just want "a picture" (with audio), no matter how awful it looks, sure, I guess. But it looks bad even on a tiny cell phone. Everything is royally screwed.

If you don't want to help him, .
    Sometimes help is telling people what NOT to do. Not coddling bad questions, based on false premises.

Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    I think a $12 no-name Chinese composite-to-USB converter with bundled software will do as good or better job than his double-adapter-to-OBS approach.
    And you would be correct. Both methods are awful, but the cheap Easycap is less shitty.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    That Youtuber doofus (and there are sadly too many other them) has zero knowledge of video. He may think he's helping others, but he not whatsoever.
    Don't be so negative. He is generating new forum members asking for help to "fix" their crap
    Quote Quote  
  7. I captured this tape the other day and have noticed that there is a bar that runs across the middle of the picture. Its not visible on the first half of the tape. It starts at about the half way point and gets worse towards the end. The clip is taken from the end of the tape where its really bad.

Just wondering if you guys know what the cause of this could be?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That's tape drop out, The VCR's DOC is trying the best it can to replace it with good lines but the damage is too big for its capability, If you open the cassette flap and look at the tape you should see a crease on the surface.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok thanks, thats good to know, the tape is unimportant so Id rather it be bad than something wrong with the vcr.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi all, Ive got a couple of questions for Hybrid users. The QTGMC deinterlacing looks much better than what vdub was producing, Im struggling to get the denoising right though. At the moment, Im just guessing what boxes to tick and numbers to use, so have ended up with some videos that look very plasticky.

Im unfamiliar with Avisynth scripts so I was wondering if the values Lollo has used in the script below are visible? I can see that he used temporal degrain and FFT3DFilter, but I cant work out what numbers to use in Hybrid.

Also, when processing a video, the order things should go in if Im not mistaken are 1st colour correction, then denoising, then deinterlacing, and then crop and resize?

When I look at the avisynth script in Hybrid, they seem to be in the wrong order, do I need to adjust this somehow?

Thanks

Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    AviSynth script:
    Code:
    # plugins directory
    plugins_dir="C:\Users\giuse\Documents\VideoSoft\MPEG\AviSynth\extFilters\"

# FFmpegSource
    loadPlugin(plugins_dir + "ffms2_87bae19\x86\ffms2.dll")

video_org=FFmpegSource2("Clip.avi", atrack=-1)

# cropping 
    	crop_left=12	# | rimozione esatta delle bande nere sinistra, sopra, destra e del disturbo sotto	
    	crop_top=2	# | 720-(12+16)x576-(2+14)=692x560
    	crop_right=16
    	crop_bottom=14
    video_org_crop=video_org.crop(crop_left,crop_top,-crop_right,-crop_bottom)

video_org_crop_adj=video_org_crop.ColorYUV(off_u=+12, off_v=-6)

# QTGMC
    Import(plugins_dir + "QTGMC.avsi")
    	# Zs_RF_Shared
    Import(plugins_dir + "Zs_RF_Shared.avsi")
    	# Nnedi3
    loadPlugin(plugins_dir + "NNEDI3_v0_9_4_55\x86\Release_W7\nnedi3.dll")

# TemporalDegrain2
    Import(plugins_dir + "TemporalDegrain-v2.2.1_modGMa.avsi")
    	# RgTools
    loadPlugin(plugins_dir + "RgTools-v1.0\x86\RgTools.dll")
    	# MaskTools2
    loadPlugin(plugins_dir + "masktools2-v2.2.23\x86\masktools2.dll")
    	# MVTools
    loadPlugin(plugins_dir + "mvtools-2.7.41-with-depans20200430\x86\mvtools2.dll")
    	# FFT3DFilter
    loadPlugin(plugins_dir + "FFT3dFilter-v2.6\x86\fft3dfilter.dll")
    	# FFTW
    loadPlugin(plugins_dir + "LoadDll\LoadDll.dll")
    loadDll(plugins_dir + "fftw-3.3.5-dll32\libfftw3f-3.dll")
    	# dfttest
    loadPlugin(plugins_dir + "dfttest-v1.9.6\clang\x86\dfttest.dll")
    	# dither
    loadPlugin(plugins_dir + "dither-1.28.0\win32\dither.dll")

# LSFmod
    Import(plugins_dir + "LSFmod.v1.9.avsi")

### de-interlacing
    deinterlaced=video_org_crop_adj.AssumeTFF().QTGMC(preset="slow", matchpreset="slow", matchpreset2="slow", sourcematch=3, tr1=2, tr2=1, NoiseTR=2, sharpness=0.1)

### convert to YV16
    deinterlaced_yv16=deinterlaced.convertToYV16()

### denoising
    denoised_yv16=deinterlaced_yv16.TemporalDegrain2(degrainTR=3)

### convert to YUY2
    denoised=denoised_yv16.convertToYUY2()

### convert to YV12
    denoised_yv12=denoised.convertToYV12()

### sharpening
    sharpened_yv12=denoised_yv12.LSFmod(defaults="slow")

### convert to YUY2 with chroma from YUY2 color space
    sharpened=sharpened_yv12.convertToYUY2().MergeChroma(denoised)

### add borders
    video_restored=sharpened.addborders((crop_left+crop_right)/2,(crop_top+crop_bottom)/2,(crop_left+crop_right)/2,(crop_top+crop_bottom)/2)

return(video_restored)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I can see that he used temporal degrain and FFT3DFilter
    To be more accurate, I do not use the "real" FFT spatial denoising (it should be enable in TemporalDegrain2 with postFFT=1). Only intrinsic TD2 denoising. The loaded FFT3Dfilter is used internally by TD2 for its processing.

Also, when processing a video, the order things should go in if Im not mistaken are 1st colour correction, then denoising, then deinterlacing, and then crop and resize?
    1- level correction (if needed) and preliminary color correction

2- deinterlace

3- denoise

4- upscale (I never resize), but only for YouTube.

5- final color correction

For cropping I prefere to do it before deinterlacing to have clean borders without "blacks", but it must be done accordingly to mod2 requirements. Many do at the end before resize, which is also ok.

4 and 5 can be swapped

I do not use Hybrid, but Selur is here, he's a very nice person and will be help you if you have any doubt, just ask.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ive been playing around with Hybrid the past few days, and have had some very good results denoising.

HQDN3D and TemporalDegrain have produced really good results on very noisy video, far better than what I could achieve in vdub. I can understand now why the advice is to learn Avisynth.

For anyone like myself, that would be out of their depth with Avisynth, I would say definitely give Hybrid a go.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Leanoric View Post
    Ive been playing around with Hybrid the past few days, and have had some very good results denoising.

HQDN3D and TemporalDegrain have produced really good results on very noisy video, far better than what I could achieve in vdub. I can understand now why the advice is to learn Avisynth.

For anyone like myself, that would be out of their depth with Avisynth, I would say definitely give Hybrid a go.
    Check out Neat Video, but it's a paid program/plugin.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check out Neat Video, but it's a paid program/plugin.
    Some comparison from master poisondeathray (using a basic SMDegrain approach!): https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403073-Why-is-Neat-video-the-best-video-denoiser/p...12#post2634000

The whole thread is very interesting.

Leanoric, now that you've taken the first step stay with AviSynth (but NeatVideo has some interest anyhow)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Avisynth is a scalpel. Very fine, precise. Same for Vapoursynth, and GUI like Hybrid.

Neat Video is a meat cleaver. It works, but it's rough. It's rarely useful when you know Avisynth.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RogerTango View Post
    I’ve stuck with the cheap card for the time being ...
    I recommended the ClonerAlliance Box Evolve recording in stand alone mode, my previous experience is
    cheap capture cards = heart burn and headaches. Maybe its just me, but Ive had best luck with
    mainstream/name brand/tried & true solutions.

GL,
    Andrew
    Can this device record 480i and 576i (as 480i and 576i)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    Originally Posted by RogerTango View Post
    I’ve stuck with the cheap card for the time being ...
    I recommended the ClonerAlliance Box Evolve recording in stand alone mode, my previous experience is
    cheap capture cards = heart burn and headaches. Maybe its just me, but Ive had best luck with
    mainstream/name brand/tried & true solutions.

GL,
    Andrew
    Can this device record 480i and 576i (as 480i and 576i)?
    From what i've seen in YT vids, it does not ! it does only 720p & 1080p resolutions, so that's in widescreen which you have to correct from mpeg4 output footage…
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi all, Ive captured a commercial vhs tape and it doesnt look too good. Its very noisy, but thats ok, I think I can deal with that.

Its the slight moving around of the whole picture that Im not sure about. Ive captured another tape since that doesnt have the problem, so its not the vcr.

If you have a look at the writing at the bottom right of the picture you can see that it sort of bobs around.

Just wondering if there are any filters that can stabilize the picture?
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: avi 1.avi (48.62 MB, 20 views)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That's film related not video, There are scripts for staiblizing the frame, I'm not an expert in restoration so I let other members chime in.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Left: original Right: deshaked in Avisynth
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Left: original Right: deshaked in Avisynth

Nice one, Thanks Sharc

Just had a quick look in hybrid and I dont think theres a deshaker filter available. Im off out for the evening now but Ill download the vdub one tomorrow and have a play around with it.

Did you do some colour correction and denoising as well? It looks much better than the original.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    This?
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Deshaker3D
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    This?
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Deshaker3D
    No.

This:
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/DePanEstimate

mdata = DePanEstimate()
    DePanStabilize(data=mdata,mirror=15,blur=50)
    Last edited by Sharc; 14th Apr 2023 at 03:06.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Leanoric View Post
    Just had a quick look in hybrid and I dont think theres a deshaker filter available.
    Hybrid has Stabilizers under Avisynth or Vapoursynth filters included, e.g. Filtering->Avisynth->Frame->Stabilize->Stab. I didn't try these though.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Just had a quick go with the Hybrid avisynth stabilizer. It works really well.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Stab only performs whole frame horizontal and vertical stabilization. It doesn't do rotational stabilization. Unfortunately, removing those long period rotations doesn't work well with the stabilizers I tried.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Stab only performs whole frame horizontal and vertical stabilization. It doesn't do rotational stabilization. Unfortunately, removing those long period rotations doesn't work well with the stabilizers I tried.
    Ok maybe I spoke too soon. I just had a quick go earlier with the default settings and it seemed better than the original. I figured that if I tweaked the settings a bit, I could fix it. Ill have a go later and see.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Gents, I know that head cleaning has been discussed many times in other threads, but Ive recently purchased and had to return the recommended chamois swabs as they had fibres coming off of them. I also previously purchased some of the spongey optical cleaning swabs. They didnt look suitable to use either as they looked to me as if they might catch on the heads.

Ive got 99% ipa but I just don't know what to use to apply it to the heads. 12voltvids uses paper. I know that paper is frowned upon here but is it really so bad?

I was reading on another forum that on old vcr technician uses his finger dipped in ipa. He says that the skin on your finger is soft so wont damage the heads and that there is obviously no lint coming off of it. What do you think of this?

What do you guys use to apply your cleaning solution to the heads?
    Quote Quote