VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need a Blu-Ray with HDMI IN. Bit of a tricky problem here. So, the projector (Optoma UHD55) gets its HDMI signal from the ARC port on the Soundbar (Samsung HW-Q930B). The soundbar (which only has 1 standard HDMI port) gets the signal from one of two places (I literally have to change what is plugged in) either the Blu-Ray Player (Sony BDP-S6500) or the Roku. Honestly, changing the cable between the Blu-Ray and the Roku is not a big deal, takes maybe 15 seconds and I could live with it. Here is where I just ran into trouble, when trying to watch a 3D-Blu-Ray for the first time, my player reported that it must be connected to a 3D Projector (which my projector is). It seems that the $1000 Soundbar DOES NOT pass along 3D. If I connect the Blu-Ray directly to the projector it displays just fine, BUT, now I don’t have sound! Okay, so I can get a newer 4K Blu-Ray with 2 HDMI outputs, one for the projector and one for the Soundbar. So far so good. Now the new problem, how do I watch the Roku? Simple solution, ditch the Roku, ONE SMALL problem. NOBODY makes a Blu-Ray which will stream Disney+ (I assume Disney won’t allow it for whatever reason). That’s a deal breaker in my house ‘cause we watch A LOT of Disney+. I tried plugging the Roku into HDMI 2 on the projector, it works but does not seem to send audio out of HDMI 1 back to the soundbar.
    What would solve all my problems is a 3D Blu-Ray with 2 HDMI OUT (video and audio) and HDMI IN for the Roku, I’m hoping someone on here may have seen such a thing because I have been looking at the backs of Blu-Ray players for hours and cannot find one…
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only player i know that can do hdmi in is an xbox one.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    BD players don't have HDMI inputs. Not allowed in the license.

Get a 3d supporting 2 output hdmi receiver, send video over HDMI 1 to projector, audio over HDMI 2 to soundbar, and put all sources as switchable inputs. (I have a setup like this - LOVE my pioneer receiver!)

Or

Connect up your soundbar to spdif/toslink port on projector (if it has one). Inputs 1 & 2 would come from sources going straight to projector. This limits the audio formats and channels you can pass through to the soundbar, however.

Or, get a 3d supporting soundbar instead.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Xbox one is a blu-ray 3d player and it has an hdmi input,its good for plugging any hdmi out cable so you can switch to that source without needing to switch cables.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It is unique in that capacity. However, it apparently (as per multiple ticket threads) doesn't passthrough all multichannel audio, so then you would be stuck with the issue of having to choose full audio vs 3d.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Turns out Samsung used to make this little gem...
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ofj4DvMDi3j/p_305BDE6500/Samsung-BD-E6500.html#&gid=1&pid=2
    It has 2 inputs but only 1 output, I need 2 outputs. I guess I need to keep digging...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
    Turns out Samsung used to make this little gem...
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ofj4DvMDi3j/p_305BDE6500/Samsung-BD-E6500.html#&gid=1&pid=2
    It has 2 inputs but only 1 output, I need 2 outputs. I guess I need to keep digging...
    how about this one here ?? - https://www.amazon.com/SONY-X800-Region-100-240V-World-Wide/dp/B075VDQD4Q
    it has 2 outputs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. No HDMI input on that one...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Cornucopia suggested that I could get a receiver to do what I want. I don't want to add a receiver, but that got me thinking... I am looking into HDMI switches, there are several with multiple inputs and outputs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, there are, but do they explicitly support 3D passthrough?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If it fulfills all of its claims, and is reliable, yes, it should.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
    What would solve all my problems is a 3D Blu-Ray with 2 HDMI OUT (video and audio) and HDMI IN for the Roku, I’m hoping someone on here may have seen such a thing because I have been looking at the backs of Blu-Ray players for hours and cannot find one…
    If you can find a used Oppo BDP-103 or Oppo BDP-103D, they have two HDMI inputs (one front and one back) and dual HDMI outputs (one is audio only). Their 4K disc player, UDP-203 has one HDMI input and two outputs (one for audio only) but is selling for outrageous prices used.

Good Luck
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote