VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I back all my discs up onto a media server. I do have a 4K TV, but I also have non-4K devices like my other TV, my phone, etc. Luckily, 4K discs generally come with a Blu-ray, so all is well.

Except...now they don't, and it's becoming more common for releases just to be a 4K disc. So now I need to figure out a way to convert from 4K to 1080p, and from HDR to SDR. What's the best way to go about this? Obviously it won't be as good as a manual regrade, going from HDR to SDR, but I'm just after the best result I can get so I can watch any given movie on any given device.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use vidcoder.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HandBrake and Shutter Encoder are free programs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. VidCoder doesn't seem to do HDR-SDR, and Shutter Encoder doesn't seem to let me keep chapters/audio/subs.

That said...HDR subs are grey, I'd need to convert them to white in order to make them look decent in the SDR version anyway...how does one go about doing that?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What message do you get when trying to use vidcoder?If its the color issue you need to use bt709 in the color space filters.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vidcoder does do HDR>SDR, you have to select "ColorSpace-BT.709"on the video filters tab
    Oops - johns0 beat me to it
    Quote Quote  
  7. I didn't get a message or anything, I just didn't see anything that looked like an HDR-SDR setting. But I found the preserve-subs option in Shutter.

Might need a newer version of VidCoder than my computer supports. Shutter lets me choose the scaling algorithm, what's the best option generally? There are quite a few.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to stay with windows 7 then you will be locked out of a lot of apps that requires windows 10.
    Quote Quote