VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I plan connect panasonic hs960 + panasonic EH65 + Pioneer dvr 560h, can I connect audio out from panasonic hs960 direct to pioneer dvr 560h?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why should you not ? if none of the devices are digitizing in some way anything, and no HDMI is used….. it only depends which connections are used (no HDMI ?), PAL models will have audio over SCART if no RCA connections are available, US models will have RCA or BNC on pro models.
    Just try…..
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 21st Oct 2022 at 08:06.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, there can be a slight delay between audio/video if you do that instead of connecting that also via the panasonic though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @ Eric-jan
    I'm thinking about delay like @oln said.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by prodarek View Post
    @ Eric-jan
    I'm thinking about delay like @oln said.
    That's exactly what i am trying to say… digitizing will give you delay and use of HDMI is also digitizing, which can give you delay , any processing of the signal can give you a slight delay, if so, you should not "jump" any shackle in the chain, to keep sound in sync.
    your source is analog, so my guess is any sync problem can not be corrected in post because of that.
    The panasonic hs960 already has 3D DigitalNoise Reduction and TBC… did you try some recordings without the EH65 ?

just briefly looking into the manuals, i see both dvd-recorders have component and HDMI outputs, so i guess they both already do some signal processing,
    both component and HDMI can give you more options to digitize analog video. (use "MiniDIN" s-video between the devices, not composite)
    For now, if you only want to transfer VHS to DVD, one VCR and one DVD recorder should be enough, maybe by looking into the manuals of the dvd recorders, you can decide which has the best options for quality, or features for easy to use…

What you're now doing is more transfereing, not capturing, you could do that also with a HDMI passthrough device and record to a HDMI recorder, a pro one can encode to ProRes, so you can edit those files in Final Cut or Davinci Resolve, or a "gamers" recorder and encode into h.264 if you don't need to edit anything.

It all depends on what your budget is, and how much effort you put in, and just try things yourself.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 21st Oct 2022 at 08:50.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'll have EH65 in a few days, I wanted to ask before. Yes panasonic 960 has tbc and dnr but I think EH65 can be better, I saw sample from Panasonic NV-F 75 HQ + EH65 and I like image is very stable and clean. Pioneer is one of the best dvd recorder if we talking about compression and also can write in XP+ mode ~ 14 Mb/s vs 9 Mb/s other dvd recorders in XP mode.

Yes I know about hdmi capturing maybe I will test this configuration also in future.
    Thank you for your interest.

ps
    I have also information about front input s-video in EH65, this input has better has better filtration this can be possible?
    Last edited by prodarek; 21st Oct 2022 at 09:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know about the EH65 i only have a EH63 here, but not tried anything with it, it does say it upscales to 1080, but that's widescreen…..
    tried no things yet because i'm queit happy with my ES35V > converter > Video Assist/Hyperdeck Shuttle HD.
    I'm now happy i can "capture" without a computer and use ProRes422LT or 2 "grades" of h.264
    If any recorder can use DVD RAM and you can still get DVD RAM discs, that would also be an option, i guess you can't transfer the files directly from the internal HDD's…
    Don't know if editing the footage on the recorders them self will give any loss…
    It's also a balance between quality and workflow, that's also a personal taste, there's nothing wrong with putting VHS on DVD, sport footage should not be too much compressed, so a lot is also "common sense" what i liked about DVD is that you can use the VOB's also for authoring, and make nice menu's (DVDLab) The DVDLab standard/basic is now free from the original website, they give you the registration details on the webste, you can make original dvd menu's, you're not bound to templates.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 23rd Oct 2022 at 14:56.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Very nice but price... kill, I found HyperDeck Shuttle 2 for good money but looks like can rec only in ProRes, DNX.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you have to look at the specs closely, also the frame rate, 50 or 60 frames is sometimes not available on older devices for BMD…
    There's nothing wrong with ProRes422, it comes in different compression rates, the compression is per frame, not like h.264, so using ProRes422LT is enough for VHS, and gives no loss.
    Plus you can use it also for FullHD footage, once you've edited you can compress to MP4
    @prodarek: Don't know what your location is, but check if any device is made for your region analog tv-system (VHS over the air recordings) , PAL has also different regions,
    (should be no problem when you buy local, and your recordings are local)
    NTSC should be USA only, Japan has a different IRE level you might want to avoid,
    If your goal is only to transfer to dvd any in good working order vcr and vhs cassette, should work with a good working dvd-recorder.
    avoid where it says: PAL60 or NTSC50
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 23rd Oct 2022 at 14:52.
    Quote Quote