VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    so im shooting with nikon gear for stills for many years and planning to join a friend who does weddings as a slow transition into video, as a low paid 2nd shooter learning on the job. hes a panasonic shooter (2 gh5 on tripods and s5 as his main body) and he complained about the af on gimbal work isnt great and steered me to look into sony as they are good but doesnt know much more.

am considering the A7Riii as a used first body. I like the higher rez evf vs the mkiii, double shutter life then mk3. I realize high iso may not be as good as mkiii but I think staying at 6400 max would be fine using primes at f/2 or more would be better.

this is the body im aiming myself at. Im curious if it can still do good video and what I mean is, if you took the footage of it and gave it to an editor and also gave him a7iii footage, could it hang with it in the same level?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    cmon...no sony a7 wedding video shooters?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I read some of the reviews of the a7iii, it's a decent camera, not an amazing camera, there have been issues with audio not working. It's only 24 megapixels, can only do 4k at 24 or 30 frames per second. People seem to love the auto focus. I'm not selling up or down on this camera, it is what it is.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I heard some issues about about mic or headphone port just going awal but im looking to get the a7Riii. sure..a bit more noise in higher iso but 42mp is useful for stills for me too. transitioning fron nikon to sony wont be a complete sell everything and buy it all new. a budget is an issue

funny. I was considering how an a9 is as a used body..wow..the video is very soft. the a7riii seems a very competent camera, and I think can still do great video in the right hands.

cheers

what gear do you use? what do you shoot?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My equipment is pretty low end, I have a Kodak Pixpro AZ421, mostly used for stills but shoots decent video. I have a Chinese camcorder, shoots 4k at 60 fps, bought it on Amazon for $219 a year ago and shoots very good video. I used it a friends 60th birthday party and there were two bands playing. Here is a link to the footage on youtube, this was shot at 1080P at 30 fps. Day and night recordings. I was quite impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGgiNsadkeg
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  6. Get a used 2/3" shoulder mount instead. Less headache and best quality. Or try FS5 or FS7. Avoid DSLR/mirrorless for video.
    Quote Quote