VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought a Panasonic NV-HS800. Everything from tape transport to programming a timer works except it doesn't output video when playing back a tape.if I flip the switch on the back to "test" it will output the blue test screen and I will be able to hear the audio but if I flip it to "normal" or "s-video" there just is no video and no sound (I suspect that there is no audio because my TV isn't detecting any video). I cleaned the head and it didn't help at all. The strange thing is that it does record as I recorded something onto the tape then played it back on my camcorder it it looked fine. Also, when fastforwarding or rewinding in picture search mode theres a small chance for a very staticy image to appear for a second or 2. Its so staticy that you almost can't make anything out. I replaced the head amp boards as well as the video output board, the 2 Y/C boards next to the video output PCB ans the entire power supply with a working one. None of the capacitors look like theyre bulging or have leaked.

I tried to restore it myself with no luck and came to these conclusions:
    • It will output video from an external input be it via A1, A2 OR A3 inputs. This means that its not a problem on the video output board.
    • It records both video and hifi audio but it can only play back hifi audio. Could be the head but I doubt it as it looks like it was barely used and the automatic tape head cleaner looked brand new.

I tried looking at the service manual but it was of no use to me as it only mentioned like 4 or the 10 boards on the main PCB and I have no idea how to follow the schematic diagrams.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you cleaned the stationary audio/control head? And perhaps reseated the cable?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I cleaned the entire tape path and the cable seems to be refitted properly as it has no problem with recording/playing back the normal mono audio and it reads the tape time marks as well.
    Quote Quote