VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an MKV video that has subtitles, that I would like to extract and edit. I first attempted to use the Subtitle Workshop application to get the video and extract the subtitles. This application is supposed to work with MKV files, but when I attempted to open the video it displays an error saying that my file is "not a valid video file".

I ended up switching to use the Subtitle Edit application. With it I was able to open the video file and select the subtitle track I wanted to extract. I did no editing of the subtitles, because I wanted to just extract the subtitles into a .srt file.

Unfortunately, it looks like when loading the video file and getting all the subtitles in that file, the text of the subtitles gets lost!

I open the MKV file using File->Open and I select the MKV file. I select the file and the application displays a dialog asking me to select which subtitle track I want to edit. I select the track and click on "Ok". An "Import/OCR VobSub" window appears. Here is where things get strange. There is apparently no text but a bunch of images. The text of the subtitles appear as images. There is an OCR process that can be initiated, but it only does one letter at a time (and doesn't get it right!). Since this video has 1000+ lines of subtitle, getting all the text correct can be a very tedious process!

Is there some way of extracting these subtitles that can quickly generate text for the .srt file? Is there a way of doing this quickly using Subtitle Edit, or is there some other tool I can use to do it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Post a mediainfo report (text mode) from your mkv here, so we can see what's inside.
    Quote Quote