VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It seems like literally eight months ago my laptop was working fine although the display was gone. To put the long story short the GPU is gone, the battery will not hold the charge, my bezel is a mess and my display is messed up. The laptop that I have posted in my bio is not the same laptop as it had been replaced twice. The current one I have now is an HP 15-da0061cl 15.6" Notebook that was covered under warranty until it expired. I am thinking about getting an HP Care Pack but I do not have the money to afford it now. I am also thinking about selling it as parts on eBay but my data is still in there and I am looking for ways to repair it. What should I do? Should I sell, replace or have it repaired? I also want to take my hard drive out to protect my data.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Backup and then wipe the drives. Trash the laptop and get a replacement.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Don't buy anything with the HP name,they use the cheapest parts and charge you the most,as by know you see the quality,buy a custom made laptop or anyone without the name of hp or dell.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Don't buy anything with the HP name,they use the cheapest parts and charge you the most,as by know you see the quality,buy a custom made laptop or anyone without the name of hp or dell.
    Dell makes exceptional quality laptops. But for the business/pro lines, not the consumer junk in Best Buy.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Backup and then wipe the drives. Trash the laptop and get a replacement.
    Scott
    No!!!

- Remove, keep the drive.
    - Sell the laptop for parts on eBay. It surely has parts to scavenge. Just don't price it stupid to where nobody will buy it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Old HP parts? I don't think you'd get your money's worth on that. And any drive that has been around long enough for the laptop to see better days probably is not some drive you want to keep long term, as it has seen better days along with it.

I agree - Dell corporate stuff is great, consumer I would avoid. HP - pretty good (corp) and meh (consumer).
    At all cost, avoid Toshiba stuff.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. acer is the another one I would avoid for consumer laptops. i had like 2 acers die on me. on the other hand my secondary school still has some 10+ years old acer monitors and they work very well
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Old HP parts? I don't think you'd get your money's worth on that.
    You never know what somebody may want. Never hurts to list. But do realize e-waste is not e-gold, so don't price it stupid, allow offers. I've sold scrap/crap on there before, as far back as the 90s. It's a flea market.

The problem with eBay is when you are gullible to "tested" and "working" BS, especially as it relates to video gear. Don't do it!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't get the HP or Dell hate, I have used tons of Dell products over the years and their stuff lasts, their monitors, mice, laptops, desktops. you get god mileage out of them.

Same thing with HP, the laptop that I am posting this from is an HP that I added ram and storage to, I have a couple of old HP desktops and laptops that are going strong.

I'm kind of reminded of how American cars, like Fords, get a lot of crap about supposed reliability problems, like the old jokes that FORD stands for Fixed Or Repaired Daily or Found On Road Dead but I have seen Fords with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and those Police Interceptor Crown Vics could take a hell of a beating.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    I don't get the HP or Dell hate, I have used tons of Dell products over the years and their stuff lasts, their monitors, mice, laptops, desktops. you get god mileage out of them.

Same thing with HP, the laptop that I am posting this from is an HP that I added ram and storage to, I have a couple of old HP desktops and laptops that are going strong.

I'm kind of reminded of how American cars, like Fords, get a lot of crap about supposed reliability problems, like the old jokes that FORD stands for Fixed Or Repaired Daily or Found On Road Dead but I have seen Fords with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and those Police Interceptor Crown Vics could take a hell of a beating.
    Agreed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your TV has a hdmi port try connecting the laptop and see if you can get a working system. Do the work you need to recover your files to a usb drive.
    Please, keep the laptop drive. A usb3 adapter for it is cheap and you will have a backup when all seems lost.

Other than that, as has been advised, I'd scrap the rest of the laptop.

Cheers?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All I need to do now is find a way to put my hard drive into another machine. I can find a USB 3 enclosure but I need a new machine altogether.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're short on cash, try looking for something in the refurbished market. I've bought 3 desktops and a chromebook refurbished and haven't had a problem with any of them. Most of the machines are corporate stuff coming off warranty and are in pretty good shape.
    Quote Quote