VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I have two sources of the same video: the first 8-bit depth, bitrate at 33.7 Mb/s, H264 and occupies 12.3 GiB; the second 10-bit depth, bit rate 4055 kbps, H265 and occupies 1,737 GiB. Which one would you choose? I have no problems with space I care about the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The first 8-bit depth, bitrate at 33.7 Mb/s, H264 for me. (I suppose the resolution is the same as the h265 video)
    Quote Quote  
  3. The 33Mb/s h.264 video is likely to be better than the 4 Mb/s h.265 video. But there are too many unknowns to say for sure. Beyond what ProWo points out about the resoulution... What encoders were used? Different encoders within the same family do not all deliver the same quality. What settings were used? An encoding at fast settings delivers lower quality than the same encoder at slow settings. What is the nature of the video? Some videos require more bitrate than others. Did both start with the same source? What if the h.264 video is upscaled from a crappy VHS tape and the h.265 video is from a high quality Blu-ray disc? Personal taste enters into the decision too. People are sensitive to different types of flaws. Some people like the noise reduction (loss of grain) that comes with low bitates.

In the end, the only way to know for sure is to download both videos and compare them for yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    The first 8-bit depth, bitrate at 33.7 Mb/s, H264 for me. (I suppose the resolution is the same as the h265 video)
    Yes the resolution is the same
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The 33Mb/s h.264 video is likely to be better than the 4 Mb/s h.265 video. But there are too many unknowns to say for sure. Beyond what ProWo points out about the resoulution... What encoders were used? Different encoders within the same family do not all deliver the same quality. What settings were used? An encoding at fast settings delivers lower quality than the same encoder at slow settings. What is the nature of the video? Some videos require more bitrate than others. Did both start with the same source? What if the h.264 video is upscaled from a crappy VHS tape and the h.265 video is from a high quality Blu-ray disc? Personal taste enters into the decision too. People are sensitive to different types of flaws. Some people like the noise reduction (loss of grain) that comes with low bitates.

In the end, the only way to know for sure is to download both videos and compare them for yourself.
    Ok thank you
    Quote Quote  
  6. Since the 12 GiB video is probably the better version you should download it. Another 1.7 GiB for the other video is only 15 percent more for a verification.
    Quote Quote